Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 802.11 200 AX slow speed

IM2021
Novice

Hello. 

I purchased a Wifi Card Intel 802.11 200AX and installed it in my desktop (AS Rock Intel i3). We have a 100Mbps Internet connection here, Wifi is 5Ghz. There is a notebook that is placed exactly beside the desktop. It has an 8286 802.11ac WiFi card. The notebook reaches a download speed of 35Mbps, upload 30Mbps. The desktop with the Intel 802.11 200AX reach 8Mbps download only and 9Mbps upload. 

I wonder if someone can help me configure the Intel 802.11 200AX card so it will reach at least 30Mbps download in our 100Mbps Internet connection, like the notebook does.  I attach the Intel detailed scan file to this post.

Any advice is welcome.

Rgs

IM

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Rgs,

Did you try cabling the PC/laptop directly to the router to see what your upload and download speeds are? I see there is an Intel I217 Ethernet adapter, so you should be able to see what that test reveals.

From the results of the SSU you are using an older rev of the driver, version 22.10.0.7. If you updated the driver after you had run the SSU, that would explain the version difference. However, if you installed the latest driver before submitting the results of the SSU, the driver did not update. In that case there are some steps to get a clean installation.

I would recommend setting the 802.11 a/b/g to option 6, Dual Band 1/b/g. For the 802.11 n/ac/ax I would suggest either option 1 or option 2, with option 2 being preferred. Leave the channel width set to Auto for both bands.

The one thing that stands out in the SSU report is that you have a Fritz!box. There have been many many reports of people not being able to get a good link with those. I'm not bashing the unit, only reporting what I have read on this forum. A possible solution would be to disable the wireless in theFritz!box, and use some other brand of wireless router, and let that connect to the Fritz!box via Ethernet cable. I know that isn't what you wanted to read, but you can search the forum for Fritz!box and read the grief that others have had.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

The first thing I would recommend is trying a cabled link to your router. Eliminating wireless from the setup will give you the best performance from your Internet connection. Once you have that, you can begin to explore the wireless throughput.

I notice from the Intel report that you are using a Fritz!box router. There have been numerous posts on this forum where the Internet device was a Fritz!box and there were problems that just seemed to have no resolution. That being said, I believe you can get better performance from the AX200 adapter than you are currently getting. The first thing I would do is get the latest driver from Intel. Your 22.10.x.x driver is not the latest. You would likely benefit from uninstalling all the network software and installing the latest versions of the wired and wireless components.

And not to complicate the setup, but speeds of 30-35 Mbps are easily handled with a 2.4 GHz link. You should be able to operate 802.11n on the 2.4 GHz band. I've reached throughput over 60 Mbps on 2.4 GHz.

IM2021
Novice

@Khun_Doug thank you and sorry for my delay to reply, overworking here. 

I installed the last drivers from Intel. However, it did not improve much the performance of the AX200. I managed though to stabilize the download at 15Mpbs and the upload at 25Mbps. But as I mentioned, the notebook at the side of the PC reacher easily 35Mbps download and 27Mbps upload with an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC8260...that is a shame for the AX200

The Intel WiFi 6 AX200 160MHz configuration in the PC is:

Driver Intel 30 Nov 2020 Version 22.20.0.6

Dual Band 801.11 a/b

Wireless mode 802.11ax

Channel width 2,4GHz and 5GHz: Auto

Fat channel disabled

Preferred band No Preference

Throughput Booster disabled

Transmit power Highest

Therefore even at 2,4GHz, the AX200 is not reaching over 15Mbps download while the Router gives 100Mbps.

Rgs

IM

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Rgs,

Did you try cabling the PC/laptop directly to the router to see what your upload and download speeds are? I see there is an Intel I217 Ethernet adapter, so you should be able to see what that test reveals.

From the results of the SSU you are using an older rev of the driver, version 22.10.0.7. If you updated the driver after you had run the SSU, that would explain the version difference. However, if you installed the latest driver before submitting the results of the SSU, the driver did not update. In that case there are some steps to get a clean installation.

I would recommend setting the 802.11 a/b/g to option 6, Dual Band 1/b/g. For the 802.11 n/ac/ax I would suggest either option 1 or option 2, with option 2 being preferred. Leave the channel width set to Auto for both bands.

The one thing that stands out in the SSU report is that you have a Fritz!box. There have been many many reports of people not being able to get a good link with those. I'm not bashing the unit, only reporting what I have read on this forum. A possible solution would be to disable the wireless in theFritz!box, and use some other brand of wireless router, and let that connect to the Fritz!box via Ethernet cable. I know that isn't what you wanted to read, but you can search the forum for Fritz!box and read the grief that others have had.

IM2021
Novice

Hi Doug, thank you very much. I set to dual band b/g and 801.11 ac, and channel Auto. It decreased the speed. I believe you are right, the issue is with the router. I will do as you suggested, and purchase a new router to check this out. 

Thank you

Rgs

IM

0 Kudos