Wireless
Issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
5974 Discussions

Intel 8265 Network Adaptor Bluetooth Update

JoNeri
Novice

I have a 8265 AC Dual Band Network adaptor on my HP Spectre x 360 Convertible 13" running win 10.

I recently up dated the driver to 22.50.1.

The Intel Driver Support Assistant shows the following:-

1. Intel dual band wireless- AC 8265

--Version 20.70.23.1 dt 3/21/2021

2. Intel Wireless Bluetooth

---Verison 22.50.04  dt 4/19/2021

Windows Device Manager shows the Drivers as:-

1. Intel Dual Band wireless-AC 8265

---- Version 20.70.23.1 dt 21 Mar 21

2. Bluetooth Device (Personal Network)

--- Version 10.0.19041.1 dt 21 Jun 06 from Microsoft.

Both WiFi and Bluetooth are working normally inspite of this anomaly.

So while the Device Manager displays the   Dual Band Wireless driver  the same as the  updated driver  as shown in the Intel Support Assistant, the driver of the Bluetooth as shown in the Device Manager is from Microsoft and differs from what is reflected in the Intel Support Assistant.

I have done every thing possible to make the Bluetooth driver shown in the Device Manager to be the same as that shown in the Intel Support Assistant. That includes the standard "clean install procedure" but the Bluetooth driver continues to remain the Microsoft Stock driver in the Device Manager, where as it reflects as up dated in the Intel Support Assistant. 

Any advice on how to  get the Device Manager to reflect the same updated version as shown by Intel in its support assistant ?

Thankyou

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
Ah, I understand what you are saying now. This is perfectly normal. That PAN driver is a filter driver from Microsoft that allows networking over Bluetooth. It will always be there if Bluetooth support is installed. The important thing is to see drivers for both Wireless and Bluetooth from Intel (which you do) - and that Wireless and Bluetooth both work, of course.
...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson

Have you tried doing a clean install? The process to use is as follows:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30434 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30515.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel® Wireless-AC 8265. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel® Wireless-AC 8265 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

…S

JoNeri
Novice

Thankyou Scott. 

I had already done a clean install before posting my earlier message.

Nevertheless I followed your instructions to the last T.

This did not resolve the issue. I am now wondering if this may be normal.

In the Device Manager, the Bluetooth Device under Network Adaptor continues to have the stock Microsoft Driver.

However in the Bluetooth I find a Intel Wireless Bluetooth which has the update. The Intel Update Assistant shows both Wireless and Bluetooth have been updated. 

I have attached a picture of the screenshots.

Thankyou once again

Joe Neri

n_scott_pearson
Ah, I understand what you are saying now. This is perfectly normal. That PAN driver is a filter driver from Microsoft that allows networking over Bluetooth. It will always be there if Bluetooth support is installed. The important thing is to see drivers for both Wireless and Bluetooth from Intel (which you do) - and that Wireless and Bluetooth both work, of course.
...S
JoNeri
Novice