Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 8265NGW and Intel 9260NGW 5GHz AP mode

VKadl
Beginner

Hi,

We are developing medical immaging device with WIFI connection, and it should be capable to provide 5GHz AP mode, but this is locked on standard 8265 and 9260 module.

is there a way how to enable 5GHz AP mode on Intel 8265NGW and 9260NGW WiFi module? Can you provide unlocked FW or does Intel sell version with unlocked 5GHz AP mode?

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello vkadlc22,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that you would like to select channel width for 5GHz. I would like to assist you with this.

According to the networking specifications of these wireless cards, they support channel width for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz by default. In this case, the AP determines the width.

Could you please attach a picture showing this issue?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
VKadl
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

unfortunetely, you get me wrong. I was asking about Access Point (AP) mode on intel wifi modules 8265 and 9260. We want to use those modules as access points. It seems possible on 2.4GHz band (b,g,n) but is FW locked on 5GHz band.

My question is - is it possible to somehow unlock 5GHz AP mode or can we buy unlocked modules which support 5GHz Access point mode?

0 Kudos
ChrisC_Intel

Hi Vaclav,

Can you please indicate what operating system are you using and or command to initiate this AP mode on your system? In addition can you indicate in which country are you located?

All the best,

-Chris

0 Kudos
VKadl
Beginner

Hi Chris,

we are using Ubuntu OS 18.4. We are located in Czech republic, but the product which we are developing will be sold world wide, so we are expecting that most likely additional certification for 5GHz AP mode will be necessary.

Best regards,

Vaclav

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vaclav,

Since your are interacting with Ubuntu OS I recommend you to visit our https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi# support Linux community for further actions on your inquiry,

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with,

-Chris
0 Kudos