Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

[Intel 9260] Disgusting Bluetooth Bug with JBL Charge 3 Speaker

agggg
Novice

When I pair 1 bluetooth speaker to Windows everything is fine. I can listen to audio and can play and pause as normallay. Audio continues when unpausing a song, video, etc.

Background: The JBL Charge 3 has a feature called Connect+. It allows connecting up to 100 speaker supporting Connect Plus while only one audio source is required. The audio from the source is shared between all bluetooth speakers. Basically it's a bluetooth ring network. See following picture.

jbl_connect.png

My setting is:

Windows 10 <-Intel 9260 BT-> main speaker <-JBL Connect-> 2nd speaker

Now with this setup I experience the following bug: When listening to an audio source I get audio on both speakers. But as soon as I pause a song/video/... and then unpause the speaker no longer outputs any audio. I have to turn off the main speaker and need to etablish the setup again.

So far I only have seen this behaviour on Windows 10 (64-bit). Android (Linux Kernel 4.19.x) is working as expected. Both JBL Charge 3 speakers have firmware 7.6.0 installed.

Intel Bluetooth version is 21.40.0.1 (previous had same issue)

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

agggg, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

When did the issue start?

Which application are you using to connect the JBL speakers, are you using the following one?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/is-the-jbl-connect-feature-available-on-windows-10/17e2a97e-7934-41a4-8eb0-286e683fc669

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
agggg
Novice

new HP ZBook 15V G5 Mobile Workstation

Pause / Unpause issue was always present

No hardware / software changes despite trying different BT driver versions

WLAN card was preinstalled

Bluetooth connection established through Windows 10 Bluetooth settings.

Pairing first speaker with Windows. Use button on the speaker to pair second speaker with first speaker.

JBL Connect App is not necessary.

Can you meet me on Friday? I'll show you.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

agggg, Thank you very much for providing those details.

We recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in HP's web site and the proper Intel® Wireless driver for your system is version 20.90.0.7 Rev.P, please test that driver:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-zbook-15v-g5-mobile-workstation/20269991/swItemId/ob-225261-1

For testing purposes, test the Intel® NUC just with one JBL speaker to confirm if the behavior is the same, please let us know the results.

I sent you a private message requesting your personal information in order to further assist you.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
agggg
Novice

OEM drivers are installed and with only one speaker everything is behaving as expected. Issue occurs only with to or more speaker. As I'm seeing now my provided picture is somewhat inaccurate. Infact the audio source device (Phone) is only connecting to one speaker of the array. This speaker then pairs with all other speakers. And as I said under Android the speaker array is working. I can connect to an existing JBL Connect speaker network and play / pause does not cause audio output to fail. Regardless of the JBL Connect App presence. I used Android x86 7.1.2 with Kernel 4.19.x since the 9260 module is natively supported upwards Kernel 4.14.x

So in the and I'm not sure if it's a driver bug, a Windows 10 bug or the firmware from JBL.

What's interesting is that bluetoth speaker from BOSE have a similar feature and experiencing my desribed issue as well. There is a thread on the BOSE forums: https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable/Pairing-Speakers-in-PARTY-MODE-windows-10/td-p/112454/

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

agggg, Thank you very much for providing those results.

Based on the fact that the problem does not happen when using only just one JBL speaker, it indicates that the issue actually seems to be related to the JBL speakers themselves or to the Windows* Bluetooth configuration especially that as you mentioned it works fine when using Android.

So, what we recommend and the best thing to do in this case will be to get in contact with JBL support directly for them to verify and confirm that the Bluetooth configuration for Windows* is the proper one and also for them to try to replicate this scenario, since they are the manufacturer of the speakers they might have the option to use the same exact components that you are using to observe if the behavior is the same:

https://eu.jbl.com/support-product.html

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
agggg
Novice

@AlbertR_Intel​ 

I tried. After endless mails back and force they claimed my speakers are broken and I have to send them in for repair. Low level support from JBL does nothing but bull-shitting on more complexe issues. Obviously I cannot reach out to higher support.

I have no skills at Bluetooth debugging but what I can say is that Windows 10 / Intel Windows drivers are treating the speakers different from Android.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

agggg, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to get in contact with JBL directly to repair the speakers, hopefully, they will be able to fix them properly to avoid any more issues.

And yes, you are correct, it is completely different in reference to Bluetooth drivers when you use different Operating Systems, like in this case Android or Windows*.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
agggg
Novice

Hello,

You misunderstood me. I checked back with a Harman/JBL engineer. The bug is within the Intel Bluetooth stack on Windows (10). I would myself give you more info on this but Bluetooth monitoring on Windows is impossible without special hardware. I suggest that you reach out to Harman/JBL and fix this in the next couple days. Thank you.

The irony is I bought a current gen Intel network card because I thought my "older" model was the issue.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello agggg, Thank you very much for clarifying those details.

We really appreciate your suggestions and your comments, for Intel® it is very important the feedback of all of our peers in the Intel® communities, thank you for sharing those details.

At the same time, we also recommend to informed to JBL about this same situation, if after the testings done by them they discover a Bluetooth driver bug, they will get in contact with Intel® directly through the proper channel to let us know about this anomaly and for the proper Intel® department to take this situation under consideration.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
agggg
Novice

The speaker is EOL but the Intel 9260 isn't. So fixing this is all up to you! Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

aaaaaaaaaaaa ggggggggggggggg, I just received an update on this matter.

We are still doing further research on this subject, in order for us to be able to continue with the assistance on this case, could you please provide a detailed step by step description of how are you pairing the speakers to the laptop, and how are you connecting the speakers to the laptop each time after the initial pairing?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi agggg, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

agggg, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos