Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 9260's Bluetooth side seems to be BSOD-crashing Windows 10 on AMD CPU+ASUS mobo

DChan64
Beginner

Hi, everyone--

I bought a brand new ASUS PCE-AC58BT PCI-e card that has a plain old Intel 9260 module on it. It is installed in an AMD Ryzen 2700X with ASUS TUF B450M Plus Gaming mobo running the latest Windows 10 Pro with all updates as of this date.

Immediately after installing, the system started randomly BSOD crashing maybe once every 12 hours. I knew the system was stable prior to installing the card, so it was pretty easy to simply remove the card to confirm that the BSOD crashes stopped, and yes, they did stop.

None of the error messages in Event Manager were particularly enlightening. 5055, 5002, 5005, and one message in the 6000s.

The next step I tried is upgrading the drivers from the ones that come via plug-and-play in Windows 10 to the latest on the ASUS website (20.50.3.3). This reduced the number of BSOD crashes per day, but not by much.

Then I upgraded to the latest Intel drivers from the Intel website (21.30.3), and this reduced the number of crashes even more, to about one crash per 48 hours.

But I can't deal with crashes because I lose work product.

It occurred to me that I should test whether it's the WiFi side of the card or the Bluetooth side of the card that is crashing, so I started by testing only the WiFi side (the Bluetooth USB cable is not connected). So far, I have had zero crashing, so it looks like something on the Bluetooth side is causing the BSODs.

The Bluetooth driver is 21.30.0. I figure some further bugfixes will solve the BSODs so that I can use the Bluetooth side of my 9260.

Thanks. Hopefully Intel tech support will see this and report it to the bugfix team.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

DChan64, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please make sure that the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your system, version 1804:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B450M-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Also, check that the antennas of the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 card are properly connected:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031221.html

We will do further research on this scenario, for us to be able to do that, please provide the following information:

Problem details

Problem description: 

Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always): 

Computer power source (plugged in or battery):

Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screen shots):

Attempted workaround (turn off settings, change power settings, etc.):

Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home):

Client computer details

Computer manufacturer(s):

Computer model(s):

Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit):

WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.):

WiFi adapter model(s):

WiFi device driver version:

Number of systems affected:

Wireless security method

Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES):

802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP):

Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST):

WiFi network environment

Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version:

Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz):

802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)): 

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz?

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz?

SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast):

Enterprise Customers:

WLAN Controller manufacturer, model, and SW version:

RADIUS Server Make/Version:

Debug data

Please include the following (if available):

· Intel Wireless Reporting Tool (WRT)

· Intel WiFi Tool (ping utility)

· Windows System Event log

· Windows WLAN-AutoConfig log

Screen shots depicting failure

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner

Thanks, Alberto--

I did update the mobo BIOS as part of the troubleshooting. It is at 1804.

And yes, the antennae are properly connected (they were attached by the factory and are covered by a plastic guard; the external antennae are easily attached by simply screwing on the SMA connectors).

Frequency of occurrence: about 1 time per 48 hours, seems random but is more likely to occur when coming out of sleep or when connecting or disconnecting from VPN

Power source: AC power (it is a desktop computer on a UPS)

Steps to reproduce: inconsistent; seems to occur more often when coming out of sleep or when connecting/disconnecting from VPN, but I cannot cause it to happen every time by doing either of these on purpose

Attempted workaround: upgraded drivers, upgraded mobo bios, removed older driver versions from Windows 10 driver store

Environment: home office

Computer mfg and model: none--I assembled it from retail components

Windows OS: Windows 10 Pro 1903 64-bit, build 18362.295

Wifi config mgr: Windows Autoconfig (native)

Wifi Adapter model: ASUS PCE-AC58BT (genuine Intel 9260)

Wifi device driver version: Intel-provided 21.30.3.2

Bluetooth device driver version: Intel-provided 21.30.0.5

Number of systems affected: 1

Wifi encryption: AES

Wifi authentication: WPA2-Personal

Key mgmt type: don't know

Wifi router: ASUS RT-N66U with latest firmware 3.0.0.4.382_51640

Wifi frequency: 5GHz

802.11n only (router is not capable of 802.11ac)

channel width: 20/40MHz

SSID stealth mode: no

Debug data

Intel Wireless Reporting Tool: will have to get back to you on this

Intel WiFi Tool (ping utility): pings work fine until the system crashes

Windows System Event Log:: will get back to you on this

Windows WLAN-AutoConfig log: will get back to you on this

Screenshots: the BSOD crash happens so fast I am unable to see the error message or get a log. The system reboots immediately and comes to a login screen.

I get the sense you are treating this like a WiFi problem. I am pretty sure it's only a problem with the Bluetooth side of the 9260, as the WiFi side works fine for days without crashing if the Bluetooth side is not connected to the mobo via the included USB header cable.

What kind of info would you need to know about the Bluetooth side of the 9260?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

DChan64, Thank you very much for providing that information and all those details.

Yes, is just that we need to gather as much information as possible in order to have a better perspective of this scenario.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner

Hi, Alberto--

I can't find the Intel Wireless Reporting Tool. Where do I get that?

Also, I am waiting for the next random BSOD crash to capture it in the Event Viewer. It may be a couple of days before the next one.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi DChan64, Thank you very much for providing those updates.

In reference to the Intel® Wireless Reporting Tool, you already gave us enough information about this matter, as you mentioned, the report of that application is used for issues or problems related to the Wireless connection, in this case, that portion of the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 card is working fine, so that information for the moment will not be necessary.

And yes, please try to capture the logs in Event Viewer of the next random BSOD crash so we can verify that information.

As soon as I get any more details, I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner

Okay, it finally BSOD crashed. I think this is either once in 3 days, or once in 4 days. (Keep in mind that this PC has been rock-solid for months with no BSOD crashes ever until the Intel 9260 card was installed.

Attached is the System Event Viewer log until just after the PC rebooted automatically after the BSOD crash, which went by so fast I could not see the actual error message text.

I had just connected via VPN to my workplace's network, and it crashed. It does seem that VPN and sleep trigger the BSOD more often, but not every VPN connection/disconnection nor sleep/wake causes a BSOD.

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner

Here is the WLAN-AutoConfig event log, just in case it is actually the WiFi side of the card.

I noticed that there are basically no events in the System event log right before or right after the BSOD crash around 1:20PM Pacific on 9/6/2019.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

DChan64, Thank you very much for sharing that information and for letting us know those details, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, the only retail wireless adapters currently supported by Intel are the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth® for Desktop, and the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit. These retail products are intended to be installed in Desktop PC with the antennas bundled in the box. They are not intended for wireless adapter upgrade in laptop PC:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Since what you are trying to do is an integration of the Intel® Wireless card using an AC2100 Dual-Band PCIe® 160MHz Wi-Fi Adapter: https://www.asus.com/Networking/PCE-AC58BT/, then the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the ASUS to confirm the features and compatibility of the board with the devices being used and to confirm the connectivity and compatibility with the board and the Intel® Wireless card used on this platform.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner

Hi, Alberto--

Actually, I tried to get help from ASUS on this, but they never replied to my emails. They provided an email address in the product packaging for Networking_Support at ASUS dot com.

Also, their latest driver was buggy and is one whole major version number older than Intel's (theirs is 20.x, Intel's is 21.x).

So after trying to contact ASUS, I came to Intel's community forums for help.

Thanks,

Dennis.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi DChan64, Thank you for letting us know that information.

Yes, from our side that will be the best option that we can recommend, to get in contact directly with ASUS for them to provide further assistance on this subject.

https://www.asus.com/support/

Just to let you know, the reason why we advise to contact them is because, as you know, we are familiar with the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 card, but, we are not familiar with the board or with the Wi-Fi Adapter and the integration of those components. There might be limitations, features or customizations done by them on their products that might be causing this issue, sometimes a BIOS update is needed or a specific driver is required, they are the only ones that will be able to confirm those details for the proper functionality of the system.

In the following link you will find further details about the integration of an Intel® Wireless card:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

I looked for ASUS forums and I only found the one related to ASUS ROG, still, you can always try to submit your inquiry in there they might redirect you to the proper department:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?127-ROG-Discussion

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner

I understand. However, the board they use appears to be a pass-through board, a mere PCI-e to M.2 adapter, so it is unlikely that their board affects the Intel 9260 at all, at least not in terms of the driver.

I'll see if I can get a response from ASUS, but my hopes are not high.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

DChan64, Thank you very much for your feedback.

For this specific scenario, there is the chance that the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 card might be defective and that is why Windows* is crashing. So, as an alternative, you can always get in contact directly with the place of purchase to try to replace the Intel® Wireless card and to test the system with a new one, to rule out that possibility.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner

Thanks, I may do that. I have just a few days left to do a return.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

DChan64, You are very welcome.

Yes, excellent, it is great to hear that you still have days left to return it, that will be the next step to try.

Any question, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

DChan64, I just wanted to check if you were able to replace the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 card and if the problem persists after that?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner

I gave up on the card and returned it without exchanging it. In two days, I had the Bluetooth side crash the USB bus again (no BSOD), and then I had the WiFi side of the card crash its device driver with this error (and a bunch of other ones related to it). The WiFi connection went down, and I had to remove the device in Device Manager, then reboot to get it functioning properly again.

I'll wait until all the bugs are worked out before buying another one.

Log Name:     System

Source:       Netwtw08

Date:         9/12/2019 12:46:35 AM

Event ID:     5010

Task Category: None

Level:        Error

Keywords:     Classic

User:         N/A

Computer:     DESKTOP-3D9FETS

Description:

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Netwtw08" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">5010</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-09-12T07:46:35.419711400Z" />

<EventRecordID>19674</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-3D9FETS</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>\Device\NDMP2</Data>

<Data>Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz</Data>

<Binary>000008000200380000000000921300C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000005744525651500000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Date:         9/12/2019 12:46:31 AM

Event ID:     5005

Description:

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

Event Xml:

<System>

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">5005</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-09-12T07:46:31.117616800Z" />

<EventRecordID>19673</EventRecordID>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Binary>0000040002003400000000008D1300C000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Date:         9/12/2019 12:46:30 AM

Event ID:     5002

Description:

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

Event Xml:

<System>

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">5002</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-09-12T07:46:30.628799200Z" />

<EventRecordID>19672</EventRecordID>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Binary>000078000200A800000000008A1300C0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

DChan64, Thank you very much for your response and for sharing those updates.

We are sorry to hear the issue persisted with the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 card but, it is great to know that fortunately, you had the option to return it.

Sure, we completely understand you decision, hopefully, the next time there will be no problems and the Intel® Wireless card will work properly.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DChan64
Beginner
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

DChan64, You are very welcome, have a very nice day.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos