Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel 9260NGW Wi-Fi undetected in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Ichabod
Novice

I'm evaluating an Intel 9260NGW for an IoT project based in Linux, and I can't get to square one. After trying to incorporate the firmware from the Intel Linux support page and the latest versions on the Git page into my build and getting nowhere, I installed the latest version of Ubuntu, 22.04, on the target system, and it won't work there, either. From a cold boot, the Bluetooth component works well enough to detect nearby Bluetooth devices, but the WiFi card doesn't show up in lspci or lsusb, and it does not show up in dmesg or the system journal.

The last person to report a problem similar to the one I'm having gave up and bought something else. Is there anyone at Intel who's interested in figuring the issue out?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ichabod
Novice

The advice from iBASE was to go into the BIOS configuration and change this setting:

Please change the PCIe bus speed at
Chipset > South Cluster Configuration > PCI Express Configuration > PCI Express Root Port 5 > PCIe Speed [Gen1]

With this change, the 9260NGW is detected, and Ubuntu 22.04 loads firmware both from a cold and from a warm reboot. The Wi-Fi module is fully functional.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello Ichabod,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have more inside and a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• Is this a laptop or desktop system?
  • Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?
  • For testing purposes, please, install Windows operating system and confirm if the issue can be replicated.

Also, I can't open the files you provided. Could you change the file format and attach them again?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ichabod
Novice

Jean,

I'm sorry about the tardy reply.

• The device is an iBASE AGS100T-I50, a fanless, rack-mountable device for IoT projects.
  • The 9260NGW has never worked for us with Linux. I learned that another person in my office tried using the same model (different unit) in another IoT device made by Portwell, also with our OpenEmbedded Linux build, and he was unable to get it to work.
  • This adapter was shipped to us by iBASE. We ordered a different part (manufactured by someone other than Intel). I would have sent it back, but my boss asked me to give it a try.
  • I don't have Windows installation media. I work exclusively with Linux.
  • The files I attached are text compressed with gzip. What format would you like them in?
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ichabod,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ichabod,

Thanks for your response. The information provided has been helpful.

You mentioned that the adapter was shipped to you by iBASE. Does it mean that the adapter comes already installed on the system, or do you need to integrate it yo your device?

Since you compressed the text files into a gzip file, could you send me each file as a .txt file?

Also, try typing the following commands to the terminal. Please, share with me the different outcomes for every command: 

# lspci​ 

# modinfo iwlwifi-  

lsmod | grep iwlwifi

dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!”​ 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Ichabod
Novice

Jean,

Here you go. File output.txt contains the information you most recently requested. The second line of the lsusb output showing the 9260's Bluetooth adapter demonstrates that the card is installed, even though it's not showing up with lspci or anywhere else.

I also verified that the firmware files are in /lib/firmware and that the iwlwifi kernel module exists, although you did not ask about these items.

I do not know whether the card was already installed when iBASE shipped it or whether my boss installed it. Being a keyed M.2 card, it's impossible to do it wrong. I can send you a picture if you like.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ichabod,

Thank you for all the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ichabod,

Thanks for waiting for a response. My apologies for taking so long.

I will suggest checking with the manufacturer iBASE if system 'AGS100T-I50' supports the AC 9260 WLAN device and fixes this system compatibility issue with iBASE.

I will be contacting you via email with further information.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ichabod,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Ichabod
Novice

I heard back from iBASE this morning, and they have suggested changing a BIOS setting. We have provided them with the ticket number you emailed me. I will post whatever I learn about the BIOS setting.

0 Kudos
Ichabod
Novice

The advice from iBASE was to go into the BIOS configuration and change this setting:

Please change the PCIe bus speed at
Chipset > South Cluster Configuration > PCI Express Configuration > PCI Express Root Port 5 > PCIe Speed [Gen1]

With this change, the 9260NGW is detected, and Ubuntu 22.04 loads firmware both from a cold and from a warm reboot. The Wi-Fi module is fully functional.

0 Kudos
Ichabod
Novice

I was also having problems getting the 9260NGW to work with Portwell's Kuber 2110-E222. I tried changing the PCIe speed for the various PCI Express Root Ports that weren't showing anything connected, and when I changed port #4 to Gen1, that worked. I hope this is helpful to someone else.

0 Kudos