Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Intel AC-6135 Wireless very slow after Windows updates

real_sunfire
Beginner

Hello,

I've had problems with network performance since September / October (2022) with my AC-6135 wireless card.

Connecting to various websites is extremely slow. It *appears* to be affecting HTTPS connections no matter which browser type I try.

The card was working absolutely fine until around September / October 2022. As far I can tell this occurred after a series of Windows updates were installed.

I've tried the various solutions mentioned on these forums but nothing seems to fix this issue:

- I've uninstalled the Wifi driver and related Bluetooth driver, including device files, using the instructions on these forums.

- I've installed the latest Wifi and Bluetooth driver from the Intel website.

- When I connect from this laptop using a wired (UTP) connection I don't see a problem so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the general Windows network stack.

- All other laptops and other network device, e.g. smartphone, connecting to the same network, are NOT affected.

- No changes have been made to my router or LAN configuration.

Attached is the latest SSU report.

Can anyone see what the problem is please?

Thanks,

Sunfire

0 Kudos
21 Replies
real_sunfire
Beginner

Apologies the forums wouldn't allow me to attach the report to the original post.

Here it is.

Thanks.

Sunfire

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello real_sunfire,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, I will be glad to assist you.

Please provide the following information:

As well, try applying the recommended settings for the standard (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678.html)

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Apologies for the delay in getting back.

Something very strange is going on with the driver re-install.

So as per the first link you've sent I've uninstalled the driver including the driver files (first attached screenshot) but as after I reboot the device re-appears in device manager (second attached screenshot).  Tried uninstalling and rebooting a few times, including disabling the device first before uninstalling but get the same result.

Decided to proceed with an install of the latest driver (third attached screenshot) but this time it claims a more recent driver is already installed (fourth attached screenshot).

I've also attached the install log as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sunfire

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner

I should also added in term of network speed. For many HTTPS websites I can login via a smartphone even before the laptop has finished loaded the login page.

Also I tried downloading a 95Mb installer (i.e. a .exe) from a website. Over the Wifi it was estimated to take about 20-25 mins once the initial download transfer settled down. I cancelled in frustration when I connected the laptop via UTP the file was downloaded in less than 30 seconds.

In terms of a overall speed test I used my ISP's speed checker, first over Wiki, then over UTP, reseting the conditions between the tests. Here are the results:

With Wifi

ping 104 ms
Download 1.6 Mbps
Upload 9.03 Mbps

With UTP:

PIng 76 ms
Dowload: 26.51 Mbps
Upload 8.98 Mbps

I've also tried searching for the OEM driver without success. My laptop is a HP but the HP website doesn't allow to browse or search for drivers. *sigh*

Thanks,
Sunfire.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your reply.

Try the clean installation but while disconnected from the internet and after the reboot, Windows should not update the driver.

Could you please confirm if the wireless adapter was preinstalled or have you integrated the adapter recently? I ask this because HP does provide drivers for wireless, but none of them are for an Intel adapter (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-255-g5-notebook-pc/10193058).

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner

Hi Steven,

First off I can confirm this driver was supplied when I brought the laptop around 5 years ago. It is a HP 255 G5.

Secondly I did try an uninstall when the laptop was disconnected from the internet. I even disabled my Wifi connection (first attached screenshot). 

When I uninstalled the driver I selected removing the driver files (second attached screenshot) but after reboot the driver repeared (third attached screenshot) and when I ran the installer it said a later version of the driver was already installed (fourth attached screenshot).

I tried intsalling v9 of the HP Support Assistant but this claimed there was no issues with the driver or any updates available for it,

Rgds.,

Nick

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Follow my process:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the desired Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages for your adapter.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable. Note this Wireless disable must be of type that will stay disabled across reboots.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  11. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  12. Install the downloaded Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  13. Install the downloaded Wireless driver package.
  14. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  15. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  16. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner

HI Scott,

No this hasn't worked.

I've attached screnshots and numbered them as per per your steps.

1. Have the latest Bluetooth and Wifi driver installers available.

2. Disabled the Wifi adapter from Control Panel. Laptop is NOT connected via UTP.

3 / 4. From Apps annd Features removed Intel Wireless Bluetooth. Intel PROSet/Wireless Software does NOT appear.

5. Rebooted. Wifi adapter still disabled after reboot.

6.  Bluetooth device does NOT appear in any of the sections in Device Manager but do have an entry for the wireless adapter.

7. Uninstalled the device and checked the Delete the driver software for this device option.

Rebooted.

Now after I rebooted the wireless device reappears in Device Manager and in Control Panel the wireless adapter has been re-enabled and is connected to my network.

So I:

1. Disabled wireless adapter again

2. Uninstalled the driver again - this time there was NO option to remove the driver files.

3. Rebooted.

After I rebooted I could see the driver in Device Manager and the adapter enabled and connected again. I tried the above 3 steps a few times and with the same advice.

If I was the hazard a guess for some reason Device manager is silently failing to remove the device files but still unregistering the device. After a reboot I'm thinking Device Manager is going "there are device files here let me register those device" but due to the nature of the problem when I try uninstall the device again is not seeing that the device files are there.

I have in the past trying unistalling the device, moving the device files out of the way manually, rebooting, and running the installer but the installer has failed.

I've attached a screenshot of the security settings on one of the device files.

Rgds.,

Sunfire

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, the process requires that the PC NOT be able to reconnect to the Internet under ANY circumstances. You have to disable access in a way that will not get reset during the reboot process. If you have to, delete the entry(s) you've defined for connecting to your AP(s). If all else fails, disable (turn off) your AP completely.

Secondly, it is possible to have multiple versions of the Wireless (or Bluetooth) software on your machine and you may have to go through the process (including the reboots) multiple times to get it cleaned out completely.

Let me know how it goes,

...S

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner

HI Scott,

Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you. I need to find time to switch off my router without impacting the rest of my household.

So:

1. Switched off my broadband router and disabled the Wfi adpter in Control Panel.

2. Neither the Intel Bluetooth or Wireless driver appear in Apps and Features.

3. Rebooted.

4. Confirned my wifi apapter was still disabled in Control Panel.

5. Removed Bluetooth and Wireless drivers from Device Manager with the remove driver files option selected.

6. Rebooted

7. Wireless driver has reappeared in Device Manager and Wifi adapter is not enabled but NOT connected in Control Panel.

8. Repeated steps 5 and 6again about 5 times with the same results as step 7.

Note: however when I remove the driver in Device Manager therer is no longer an option to remove the device files.

9. Ran Disk Cleanup as administrator and  selected all the options. After this repeated process of  uninstalling the driver from Device Manager and reboot same result as before.

10. Also tried clearing my browser caches and prerforming a network reset and repeating the process of uninstalling the driver and rebooting. Again the same result.

11. Repeated process of uninstalling driver (again no device files remove option) and rebooting a few more times.

12. Finally switched router back and rebooted and when router was u[ the wifi afdapter connected to the network automatically

13. Had a brief look through the messages in Event Viewer but couldn't spot anything immediately amiss

Not quite sure what I am doing wrong here.

Rgds.,

Nick

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm... Try repeating the process, but this time enable the wireless adapter before you uninstall the driver.

...S

P.S. Make sure you reboot immediately following any deletion of drivers.

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner
Right having to write using a smartphone so please forgive any typos.

So:

1. First made such WiFi adaptor in Control panel was enabled.

2. Switched off router.

3. WiFi adapter still enabled but not connected.

4. No Intel Bluetooth or WiFi entries in Apps and Features.

5. In device manager uninstalled Intel Bluetooth device with remove device files options selected.

6. Rebooted

7. Confirmed Bluetooth device not in device manager

8. Uninstalled WiFi device in device manager. No remove device files option displayed.

9. Rebooted

10. WiFi device has reappeared in device manager but not the Bluetooth device

11. Tried removing the WiFi device and rebooting again. Same result. Note after each reboot WiFi adapter shows enabled but not connected

12. Switched router back on

13. WiFi adapter connected to router and then Bluetooth device reappeared in device manager.

Sigh

Sounds like the Windows updates have really messed up the devices.

Is there any way I can manually remove the device files so I can do a clean reinstall? The last time I tried this the installer failed.

Do I have any other options here?

Thanks
Sunfire
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When you say 'not connected', do you mean no driver associated with the device or that it is just not connected to the Internet?

Presuming you mean the latter, after uninstalling package and rebooting, is the device showing up again with a driver assigned? If so, you need to continue delete and reboot cycle until this stops. 

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Wait... I just realized what you said. Before switching the router back on, you are supposed to install the Wireless and Bluetooth packages that you downloaded back at step 1 and then complete another reboot. Only after this final reboot is completed should you switch the router back on.

...S

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner

HI Scott,

Ah I didn't get your last message until after my window to have the router switched off today was over. Ah well. This is what I did:

1. Switched router off.

2. Confirmed Wireless adapter shows as not connected in Control Panel.

3.  Uninstalled Intel Bluetooth device in device manager with remove device files option selected.

4. Rebooted

5. Uninstalled wireless device in device manager remove device files option selected.

6. Rebooted

7. Wireless device had reappeared in device manager and wifi adapter still shows as not connected in Control Panel.

8. Removed wireless device in device manager. However this time there is NO remove device files option to select.

9. Rebooted.

10. Repeated steps 7-9 about 10-12 times no difference in result - wireless device always reappears in device manager after a reboot.

11. Switched router back on

12. After a few minutes the wifi adapter connects automatically to the router in Control Panel and wifi access confirmed.

13. Shortly after this the Intel Bluebooth device reappears in device manager.

Given that the wireless device always reappears in device manager after a reboot at what point should I try and install the latest Wireless and Bluetooth drivers while the router is off?

I can then give that a go the next time I'm allowed to have the router off. * : )

Thanks,

Sunfire 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Regarding the Wireless device (still) appearing in Control Panel, is it being identified as having a driver associated with it? Was this what you meant by 'not connected'? If a driver is associated with it, does this driver say it is from Intel or Microsoft? What is its version number? An SSU report at this point would be helpful.

...S

P.S. Microsoft has a Bluetooth driver and it will always install if no other driver is there. This is ok, other than the Microsoft Bluetooth driver doesn't seem to work well with the Intel wireless cards. The Intel Bluetooth driver should install over top of the Microsoft driver without issue. [Aside: thought: Is it possible that not having the Intel Bluetooth driver package installed has some correlation with the poor performance you are seeing? Hhmmm... IDK.]

P.S. If you really want to try a manual uninstall, there are articles (like this: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-uninstall-reinstall-wifi-drivers, steps 7-10 in their process) that explain what to look for and delete. I am not sure that the OEM20.inf name is the correct one (I don't have a system set up with this card presently); but you should look for any (and all) OEM##.inf files that lists a netwtw*.inf specifying the Wireless-AC 3165 device and uninstall them (hint: according to your original SSU report, it was named OEM54.inf and specified netwtw04.inf).

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner

HI Scott,

Hi Scott

1. Firstly when I when I say the Wifi adapter is not connected  in Control Panel what I mean under Change Adapter setting in Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections) is showing as not connected in Control when my router. I suppose it is my way of just confirming that I am not connecting to any other wifi network (see attached screenshot.

2. The Wifi adapter is definitely using the Intel AC-6135 device when look in the same place Control Panel as above and the version reported is 19.51.30.1 there. Also when I remove the device in Device Manager the adapter disappears in Control Panel.

3. The only  Bluetooth device I am removing from Device Manager is the Intel Bluetooth device.

4. I've tried manually removing the driver files but first there is not Devices by driver option under View in Device Manager. Googling around it seems this is only in some builds of Windows 10.

However I did manage to upgrade the driver to 19.51.42.2:

1. Switched router odd 

2. Unintalled Intel Bluetooth and the wireless driver in Device Manager

2. Generated SSU report (second attachment).

3. Rebooted. Wireless driver appeared in Device manager\

4. Generated another SSU report (third attachment)

5. Uninstalled it again (as in previous attempts the uninstall device files option did not appear.

4. Removed  C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Netwtw04.sys. Could not find netwtw04.inf file

5. Ran latest Bluetooth installer and then latest Wireless installer.

6. Rebooted. wireless device now reported as 19.51.42.2 in Device manager

7. Later in the day confirmed that problem still exists with performance.

8. Generated another SSU report (fourth attachment).

Unless you have any other ideas I am wondering if I need to take this to a good repair report. It may be something fairly fundamental I am missing here.

Thanks,
Sunfire
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Once you have the adapter appearing in Device Manager - and it indeed has an Intel driver assigned to it - you should be good to go. Now, as for the connection being subpar, you haven't indicated what exactly it is achieving (or not achieving). Is it connecting on the 5GHz band? Have you tried using a WiFi Analyzer tool on your Smartphone or another PC to see if it is (incorrectly) connecting on a busy band/channel? Could you possibly have a hardware issue - like disconnected antenna wire?

IMHO, the 3165 is a subpar solution. Its maximum connection speed is only 433Mb/s. It also has only single transmit and receive channels, so back-to-back packet performance is going to be poorer. Possible alternative choices include (limiting to active Intel products):

• Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Rev. D, which will get you Wireless-AC, WiFi 5, BT 4.2 and a max. connection speed of up to 867 Mb/s.
  • Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260, which will get you Wireless-AC, WiFi 5, BT 5.1 and a max. connection speed of up to 1733 Mb/s.
  • Wi-Fi 6 AX200, which will get you Wireless-AX,  WiFi 6, BT 5.2 and a max. connection speed of up to 2400 Mb/s.
  • Wi-Fi 6e AX210, which will get you Wireless-AX,  WiFi 6e, BT 5.3 and a max. connection speed of up to 2400 Mb/s.

Now, there are two possible form factors for these cards,

• The PCIe Half Mini (Wireless) Card (HMW) form factor (a.k.a. M.1).
  • The Next-Generation Wireless (NGW) form factor (a.k.a. M.2 Type E).

So, the important question becomes: what form factor is your Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 card - is it 3165HMW or is it 3165NGW. Why this is important is that the AX200 and AX210 are only available from Intel in the newer NGW form factor. If you really want to look at one of these solutions, all is not lost; there are third-party companies that take the Intel silicon and produce cards in the older HMW form factor. For the AX200, look for part numbers AX200HMW or MPE-AX3000H. For the AX210, look for part numbers AX210HMW or MPE-AXE3000H.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
real_sunfire
Beginner

HI Scott,

Thank you.

I'll try a Wifi analyzer but the frustrating thing here is nothing has changed on my LAN setup. Potentially it could be a hardware issue with the adapter, it is a old laptop after all. As mentioned previously everything was working find until the Windows updates in September / October, not conclusive I know but given the problems I have had updating to the latest version of the driver makes me suspicious.

Anyhow I spoke to my local repair shop and the owner feels I have three possible options:

1. Reinstall Windows 10.

2. Replace the wifi adapter with a different adapter.

3. Buy a new laptop

I thought of fourth option - migrate (upgrade? * to Linux.

I am plumping for (2) at this point. I've ordered a cheap USB wifi adapter to use on a temporary basis to bypass 3165 to see if performance is better on that - it can't be worse. With the state of the 3165 at the moment I can't even login to these forums from the laptop via the 3165 due to slowness.

Rgds.,
Sunfire   

0 Kudos