Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel AC 7260 - BSOD (kernel security check failure)

AGrig5
Beginner

Hi,

I started to have a lot of BSOD's with the error KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE, since I upgraded to W10.

Initially I thought that it's in relation to the main video card poor drivers, which is from Intel as well (Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4600).

Not until a few days ago I realized that every time I modify the settings for the WiFi adapter, my laptop dies.

I tried to mingle with some settings in BIOS, but with no luck. No matter what I do it will still die at some point or another.

I also get this crashes, randomly even when I don't do anything, either watch a movie or just simply browsing the internet.

I disabled my WiFi adapter and used my laptop as I usually do for 48+ hrs, without any BSOD.

I also tried to use different drivers, but still without any luck.

As my laptop is barebone, I do not have any OEM to complain to, so I decided to write directly to the source.

I have also attached a minidump from the last crash.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

alescx,

What driver version are you using? Please try our latest version found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25683/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 Please proceed as explained below:

1. Download and save the drivers from the link above.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
AGrig5
Beginner

I already had the latest drivers installed. Nevertheless I followed your steps. I see you've mentioned to install all 3 driver components. In the installation setup, I can see only 2 options that I can check: Wireless Software Extensions and Administrator Toolkit.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

alescx,

Please try and let us know it.

0 Kudos
AGrig5
Beginner

I tried it. I reinstalled my windows - fresh install, still get the error.

FYI - Up, I was asking you, what are the 3 driver components, as I had only 2 options to check when installing the software.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

alescx,

Could you please confirm which OS version you are using?

0 Kudos
AGrig5
Beginner

aleki, it is written above as well. Windows 10 x64

0 Kudos
Alek_S_Intel
Employee

alescx,

Please check your private messages.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

alescx,

Intel has recently released a new driver version (18.40.0) for this adapter, could you please be so kind and try it? For your convenience, here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25833/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 File Name: Wireless_18.40.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe

0 Kudos
AGrig5
Beginner

Hi aleki,

I installed the latest version 18.40.0 and it seems that the issue was solved. So far no BSOD's or any other connection issue. Hope it was a faulty driver that caused the error. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it still crashes or not.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
MCore1
Beginner

I had same problem but just this fix helped me

1. Open EaseUS Partition Master on your computer. Then locate the disk, right-click the partition you want to check, and choose "Check File System".

2. In the Check File System window, keep the "Try to fix errors if found" option selected and click "Start".

3. The software will begin checking your partition file system on your disk. When it has completed, click "Finish".

This great article has helped me fix Kernel Security Check Failure

0 Kudos