Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel AC 8260 cant connect to University enterprise network

FFurt
Beginner

Hi

I recently bought the X1 Carbon running Windows 10 Pro. For about 2 months, I didnt have any problems. However, recently I cant connect to the school network. It gets stuck in the connecting then just stops.

At first, I thought it was an account problem. But my phone is still on the school WiFi and when I connect via Ethernet wire, I am connected. I have also checked with the school administrator to check my credentials but to no avail. I've also updated the driver to 19.40.0.3.

The card, however, can connect to WPA2-Personal but keeps failing at WPA2-Enterprise.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've also attached my system using the SSU.

Regards

Francisco Furtado

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello furtado1411,

We understand that you have recently began experiencing issues while attempting to connect to your school's WPA2-Enterprise network.

Your situation is a bit unusual, as your wireless adapter is more than capable of handling this security protocol. While we're aware that you have already installed our latest generic driver, we would like to begin by suggesting a clean installation of your wireless drivers instead:

1. Download and save our latest generic driver package for Windows® 10 (you may skip this step if you already have the download saved to a known location): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26598/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Wireless_19.40.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe

2. From Programs and Features in the Control Panel, please locate and uninstall the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, please choose the option to "Discard Settings."

3. From the Device Manager, which is also accessible from the Control Panel, please expand the Network Adapters section and right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260. Choose Uninstall from the drop down and make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device" if prompted.

4. Now you'll need to press the Windows* key together with the letter R to open the run box. Type "Cleanmgr.exe" and press OK. Select your main drive, and leave only Temporary Files selected. Press OK.

5. Reboot your PC.

6. Install the PROSet package you downloaded earlier. Select a custom installation and choose to install all software components.

At this point, you may apply our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html recommended wireless connectivity settings. However, in your case, the adapter's defaults may be all you need. With the exception of the "802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz." Since you're probably working in a busy environment we can recommend selecting the 20MHz channel width to minimize possible interference.

We can also take a different approach if your issue persists, please let us know your results.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
FFurt
Beginner

Hi Carlos

Thanks for the advice! I've done all the steps you asked.

Unfortunately the issue still persists. The sign in box for my credentials doesnt even pop up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello furtado1411,

In Windows® 10 networking is managed by the operating system, and not third-party software. Because of this, and considering that the issue began suddenly, it's possible that neither your adapter nor our driver are the issue. Please take a look at the following Microsoft* support article (a workaround is provided, but you may need to work together with your IT Admin):

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3121002/windows-10-devices-can-t-connect-to-an-802.1x-environment Windows® 10 devices unable to connect to an 802.1X environment.

One way to test this would be to perform a system restore, to a date during which you were able to connect to your University's network. System restore only affects your settings and your programs, not your files:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows Recovery options in Windows 10 - Scroll down and expand the "Restore from a system restore point" section.

As far as driver troubleshooting, we could also recommend performing a clean "driver only" installation. This is very similar to our previous suggestion, but taken a step further:

1. Download and save our latest Intel® PROSet for IT Administrators: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26601/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins Wireless_19.40.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Extract this file to a known location.

3. From Programs and Features in the Control Panel, please locate and uninstall the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, please choose the option to "Discard Settings."

4. From the Device Manager, which is also accessible from the Control Panel, please expand the Network Adapters section and right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260. Choose Uninstall from the drop down and make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device" if prompted.

5. Now you'll need to press the Windows* key together with the letter R to open the run box. Type "Cleanmgr.exe" and press OK. Select your main drive, and leave only Temporary Files selected. Press OK.

6. Reboot your PC.

7. Open Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 to Update Driver Software > "Browse my computer for driver software" and select the folder where you extracted the IT Admin package.

If the issue still persists, please let us know. However, at this point you may also need to engage your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html computer manufacturer (OEM) for support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello furtado1411,

We haven't heard from you in a while. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
FFurt
Beginner

Hi Carlos

I've tried what you suggested but to no success. I tried logging in to my enterprise account on another Win10 laptop and was successful.

Tried to adjust the 802.1x environment settings but failed.

Tried to restore from system restore point. But there wasnt a restore point before my wireless drive was acting up.

Tried to reinstall the driver but failed as well.

What should I do next?

Regards

Francisco

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Francisco,

Since the issue persists after our recommendations, the issue may be caused by a problem external from the adapter (software, configuration, Operating System, etc).

Here are some additional items for your consideration:

- Check for any changes made to the PC around the time this issue started, then try to undo the changes (new software/applications installed, system updates, configuration changes, etc.).

- Have you tried deleting the Network profile (forget the network)? then try to connect again.

- Try disabling or uninstalling Anti virus software, or Firewalls, and check if it helps.

- Try using the Windows* Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands. You can check with Microsoft* for more information about this.

For more information about these, please check the following document:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Jonathan B
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Francisco,

We hope our last suggestion was helpful. Please let us know if your issue has not been resolved or you need any more assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos