Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7353 Discussions

Intel AC-8265 bluetooth kills wireless network

DFact
Beginner

I have an Intel ac-8265 intalled in a Dell XPS15 9560. Everything is fine, unless I am on specific wireless networks on 2.4GHz. The moment I turn on my Logitech MX Master bluetooth mouse, the internet disconnects, or is extremely poor. The moment I turn the mouse off, it is back to normal. Any chance to fix this on a firmware-level?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did the Dell come with the 8295, or did you add it?

Doc

0 Kudos
DFact
Beginner

No, and does it matter? It is a legit upgrade, drivers updated to the latest version. The original Killer wifi sucked. You should be happy I am using your hardware...

0 Kudos
DFact
Beginner

Nicely put Mr Hill, I have none of these compatibility or regulatory issues. The device works, and is officially supported by Dell for my device:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/sk/sk/skbsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=120c3&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9560-laptop

The issue is obviously physical interference on YOUR hardware. Thought it might be useful for troubleshooting but I was mistaken... Let me know if you want to troubleshoot seriously.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Supported, but not necessarily on your laptop.

Dell is responsible for your support of THEIR laptop. SInce Dell, as you say supports it, contact dell for support.

Also, the issue could be physical interference with your other hardware.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"You should be happy I am using your hardware".

I am a customer, just like you.

Doc

AlHill
Super User

You say "The original Killer wifi sucked". Were you having the same issues as you are now with the 8265? Both with the Logitech MX Master bluetooth mouse?

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Bluetooth uses the same 2.4GHz frequency band that is used by WiFi. Further, within a single machine, the same transmitter and receiver are used to support both WiFi and Bluetooth communication. Bottom line, you aren't saying anything that would signal to me that there is anything wrong. This is normal. Switch your WiFi to use the 5GHz band. This can additionally speed up WiFi communication by a factor of 3x (or more, with appropriate Router) over what is possible using only the 2.4GHz band (even if Bluetooth wasn't stealing bandwidth).

[Aside: Just to be complete, USB 3.x also uses 2.4GHz signalling on its cables and all it takes is one cheap/bad USB cable (which can act like an antenna) and it too will interfere with WiFi.]

...S

0 Kudos