Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC-9260 Wifi and bluetooth problem

Julienn25
Beginner

For a while now (since microsoft forced me a update almost a year ago) my wifi has not been working from time to time (90% of the time) on my Windows 10.

I have everything up to date, reformated and reinstalled windows countless times, tried everything that i can find on forums and google but my wifi and bluetooth is continuously unstable, for most of the time i have to use a wifi dongle but it consumes more power and takes up my only usb port on my laptop.

Im 100% sure its not my network card or any hardware issue due to installing Linux and having no problems when dualbooting with Linux so the conclusion is it must be either OS or intel driver.

I would really like to make this work on my windows 10 boot so i can keep on going with my life as usual, attached a scan from System Support Utility. Please help me.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Julienn25, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can better assist you, we would like to confirm the following: 

1. Exactly what is the problem that you are facing? What do you mean by the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are continuously unstable? Please include a detailed explanation and the error codes in case they appear.  

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? 

3. The problem started after a Windows update as you mentioned, is that correct? 

4. When you mention you reinstalled Windows several times, did you do that using a completely new image and following Microsoft's procedure? Check with Microsoft* for guidance. 

5. Does the same behavior happen if you use the driver provided by your system manufacturer (OEM)? Lenovo's download link. Check with the OEM for guidance. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
Julienn25
Beginner

Hello and thanks for your answer i will try to provide as much information as i can and if there is any more i can do please tell me.

For now my computer cant be more up to date, i made a clean install in the begining of august with an Lenovo-image.

1. Exactly what is the problem that you are facing? What do you mean by the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are continuously unstable? Please include a detailed explanation and the error codes in case they appear.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/09/15/microsoft-windows-10-update-problem-wifi-internet-nic-warning-upgrade-windows-10/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/07/21/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-2004-may-2020-breaks-internet-connections-update-free-windows-10-update/#7b5e62021e24

With unstable i mean that bluetooth and wifi driver disappears from device manager, like if the hardware didnt exist at all. It can take a few restarts for the driver to come back. sometimes wifi just stops working and i can see the driver in device manager but i cant connect to any networks and then i can see error code-10 in device manager wifi driver. 

Right now I can´t see the network card in device manager but in windows logs i see an error for Netwtw08 that says "The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver." and also "the network driver requested that it be reset" (please see picture 1 and 2)

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? 

Yes it is the original adapter that came pre-installed with my laptop, the laptop has never been opened and adapter never changed.

3. The problem started after a Windows update as you mentioned, is that correct? 

Yes that is what I think. It started when connecting a bluetooth (first time using bluetooth) speaker to my laptop that might have triggered the problem but i also made an update to windows the day before. cant really tell 100%, it might also have been both combined. Looking for the problem online it confirms that windows update is breaking intel wifi adapters. I dont really know for sure.

4. When you mention you reinstalled Windows several times, did you do that using a completely new image and following Microsoft's procedure? Check with Microsoft* for guidance. 

I have wiped out the whole harddrive and installed windows with Microsoft image but also with a Lenovo image without solving any problems. 

5. Does the same behavior happen if you use the driver provided by your system manufacturer (OEM)? Lenovo's download link. Check with the OEM for guidance. 

I have tried with older driver, intels driver, lenovos driver(even though they are not up to date with intels)

With some Intel updates (dont remember which versionnumbers) it solved all of my problems...for a couple of days and then i start loosing internet and bluetooth connection again.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Julienn25,   

Thank you for the information, please follow these recommendations:   

1. I can see that you are using Windows 10 1903, try to update the OS to the 1909 version for testing (2004 has had some bugs so you can try with 1909 first). Check with Microsoft* for help on this.  

2. The issue can be the Bluetooth device that you connected at the beginning, this is because you already reinstalled the OS, try different drivers, and the issue persists. Please clarify the following:  

• What is the brand and model of this device?   
  • Is that device still connected to the PC?   
  • Did you get any problems when connecting this device the first time? What was the behavior? Please explain.  

3. Try installing the latest Bluetooth driver following the steps for a clean installation:  

4. After installing the above driver, please run again the Intel® SSU (without the USB dongle), and attach the report generated:   

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".    
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".    
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".    
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).   

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Julienn25
Beginner

1. I can see that you are using Windows 10 1903, try to update the OS to the 1909 version for testing (2004 has had some bugs so you can try with 1909 first). Check with Microsoft* for help on this.  

1909 is now installed. 2004 isnt available for my right now (see picture "2")

2. The issue can be the Bluetooth device that you connected at the beginning, this is because you already reinstalled the OS, try different drivers, and the issue persists. Please clarify the following:  

• What is the brand and model of this device?  Audio pro T8
  • Is that device still connected to the PC?  No
  • Did you get any problems when connecting this device the first time? What was the behavior? Please explain. Bluetooth driver went missing from device manager and wifiproblems started

But after giving it some thought it cant be the bluetooth speakers, i have clean installed windows twice after the problem started and the problem still exists

3. Done!

4. Please see attached file.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Julienn25,   

Thanks for the reply.  

While checking this behavior, it seems odd as with Linux* we are not seeing any issues, however; Windows OS and drivers have been reinstalled and tested several times even with different versions, like the ones provided by the OEM and Intel®. So we believe this cannot be the problem as it happens with different environments, please try the following: 

• Reseat the laptop's battery if possible (remove and reinstall).  
  • Reseat the wireless card as well (remove and reinstall).   
  • Set the BIOS settings by default. 

The above steps is something that you will need to check with the OEM for guidance. 

Regards,    

Sebastian M     

0 Kudos
Julienn25
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

There are numerous people (you can find them on google, youtube, newspapers, reviews) having the same issues as me, i even have a friend that got exactly the same issue. Even your own forums are flooded with netwtw08 driver problems.

Like for example https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-Wireless-AC-9560-netwtw08-driver-crashes/td-p/721349

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/wifi-adapter-keeps-needing-to-be-reset.3530536/

https://windowsforum.com/threads/network-adapter-stops-working-on-laptop-acpi-error.250262/

https://mspoweruser.com/intels-wifi-drivers-have-been-causing-windows-10-bsod-but-there-is-now-a-fix/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-wifi-broken-on-windows-10/0e3496b3-9878-41a5-9f9f-dcfb99976341

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/121817-dropping-wifi-connections.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/09/15/microsoft-windows-10-update-problem-wifi-internet-nic-warning-upgrade-windows-10/#380d154b11e0

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/07/21/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-2004-may-2020-breaks-internet-connections-update-free-windows-10-update/#5c9d474b1e24

Windows event viewer has so many errors connected to the driver and the problems with your products started after microsoft released updates. Im sorry but i wont open up my computer and void waranty and i refuse to send in a computer that has no faulty hardware. The problem is widely known and the reason i posted here was to see if you can help me.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Julienn25,    

Thank you for the reply. 

We will proceed to review this case internally, please kindly wait for our response. As soon as we have an update, we will post it on this thread. 

Regards,     

Sebastian M      

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello community, 

We would like to inform that we have worked with @Julienn25 directly. After some testing, we recommended Julienn25 to check with the OEM for any hardware problem, so Julienn25 will work with Lenovo* to make a warranty replacement of this wireless card. 

We will proceed to close this inquiry, if you are facing a similar behavior; please submit a new thread and we will gladly assist you. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos