Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC-9260 - barely usable on Win 10 (2.4 and 5Ghz)

TTACK
Beginner

Hi,

i recenty bought Gigabyte B450 i Aorus Pro wifi (itx) with Intel 9260 wireless chipset. Every 5 to 10 minutes my wifi is getting disconnected. I see several entries being created in event log when connection drops.

EVENT LOG:

Warning 21.12.2019 23:06:55 Microsoft-Windows-NDIS 10400 None "The network interface ""Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz"" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 24 time(s) since it was last initialized."   Error 21.12.2019 23:06:55 Netwtw08 5002 None Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.   Error 21.12.2019 23:06:55 Netwtw08 5005 None Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.   Error 21.12.2019 23:06:55 Netwtw08 5005 None Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.   Error 21.12.2019 23:06:55 Netwtw08 5007 None 5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)

1. This happens on driver found on Gigabyte's website (v21.50.1.1) and on official Intel driver (v21.50.1).
  2. Other devices work fine (TVs, smartphones, secondary laptop & PC) - no connection drops at all, pefectly stable
  3. I tried re-installing drivers, performing clean install - no luck
  4. This happens both on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Windows 10 1909

What to do?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TTACK

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to understand better your environment, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is the Wireless adapter the one that came pre-installed on the system?

2- Did the Wireless adapter work fine at some point before? Was any Hardware, software or update change before the issue occurred?

3- Wireless Router/Access point brand and model:

4- If you test the system with no other devices connected to the network (isolated) does the issue persist?

5- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

5.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

5.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

5.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

6- Please provide the complete Windows® System event and WLAN-AutoConfig logs without filter (clear previous log before reproducing issue).

1. In Windows search, search for “event” and select “Event Viewer” 
  2. On the left pane, expand “Windows Logs” 
  3. Right click on “System” and select “Clear Log…” 
  4. Expand “Applications and Service Logs” -> “Microsoft” -> “Windows” -> “WLANAutoConfig” 
  5. Right click on “Operational” and select “Clear Log…” 
  6. Reproduce issue.
  7. Reference above steps (instead of Clear Log… choose Save All Events as…) to save the system event and WLAN-AutoConfig logs in .evtx format. 

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. You may attach all files to a single zip file.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

TTACK
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

1- Is the Wireless adapter the one that came pre-installed on the system?

>> yes, it's the one that came pre-installed on mobo

2- Did the Wireless adapter work fine at some point before? Was any Hardware, software or update change before the issue occurred?

>>i completed my pc setup 1-2w ago. I noticed wifi issues since day 1

3- Wireless Router/Access point brand and model:

>> Tp-link Archer C7 AC1750 v1

4- If you test the system with no other devices connected to the network (isolated) does the issue persist?

>> yes, the issue persists

5- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

>> attached

6- Please provide the complete Windows® System event and WLAN-AutoConfig logs without filter (clear previous log before reproducing issue).

>> will add this in my next post below

0 Kudos
TTACK
Beginner

6- Please provide the complete Windows® System event and WLAN-AutoConfig logs without filter (clear previous log before reproducing issue).

I'm attaching Windows System event only. WLAN-AutoConfig was empty. Issue occured approx 11:33. I don't see anything interesting in the logs to be honest...

This time i didn't see errors mentioned in my initial message. I was not able to ping my router and DNS servers at 1.1.1.1 & 8.8.8.8.

When i disconnected and reconnected to the same network everything started working again.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Did you connected the antennas cables to the WiFi adapter?

Leon

0 Kudos
TTACK
Beginner

yes. i even tried different antenas that came with my previous mobo.

0 Kudos
REgan
Beginner

I'm having the EXACT same issue with a brand new ThinkPad E595. SSU utility output attached. I've also attached a CSV export of the Windows event viewer logs. Included both in a zip file.

I'm at a loss on how to proceed other than to return the laptop. This issue has also been reported on the Lenovo forums. I'm running 21.50.1.1 but the issue is also present if I use the Microsoft provided driver 20.50.0.5

0 Kudos
REgan
Beginner

Latest wlan report attached.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TTACK and REgan

I was checking this thread and would like to know if you still need assistance.

If yes, we have released a new driver for the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260, driver version is 21.60.2.

Could you please test this new driver and report back the behavior?

You can download the driver from this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29258/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
TTACK
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

after upgrading the driver i'm still getting random disconnections.

PS I bought usb wifi card and it works perfectly fine.

br/Chris

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TTACK

Thank you for your response.

We understand that the issue persists after updating to the recently released driver.

We would like to provide you with the following recommendations and please report back the outcome:

1- Check the Setting Power Management for Intel® Wireless Adapters

2- Please check the following settings based on the protocol you are using:

3- Finally, test the behavior by changing the Channel Width from "Auto" to "20MHz" Only (for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz). You can change this from Windows® Device Manager >> Intel® Wireless Adapter properties >> Advanced.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TTACK

I would like to know if you still need assistance and if you were able to check the recommendations provided in the previous post. Please feel free to share the outcome.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TTACK

I am checking this thread and I would like to know if you were able to check the recommendations provided.

If the issue persists, I would like to suggest two more steps you may try:

1- Check with the Router/Access point manufacture if the device supports 802.11R Fast transition feature. If it does, please ask them for assistance to test by disabling the 802.11R Fast transition feature in the Router/Acess point.

2- Also, check with the Router/Access point manufacturer for any firmware update available that may include fixes or compatibility improvements for this behavior.

Feel free to share the outcomes of the steps.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos