Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

Intel AC7260 limited access after sleep

MZ4
Novice

Hello,

I have Intel AC7260 and there is a problem: after every wake from sleep mode i have limited access and no connection to the Internet. I can't ping router and any device in the network... Sometimes helps to reconnect but most often I need to reboot :/ Can someone help me please?

431 Replies
BB4
New Contributor II

<<stable and working by leaving the "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" under Power Management box checked.>>

This should be a sticky thread at the top of the forum.

It's quite remarkable how many people complain about the card being defective because it can't wake up, who have this setting disabled.

<< Works perfectly, other than not showing 802.11acc in the drop down menus and in netsh, >>

Windows 7 issue, not the card. Windows 8 displays it properly.

0 Kudos
TMayn
Beginner

<< <<stable and working by leaving the "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" under Power Management box checked.>> This should be a sticky thread at the top of the forum. It's quite remarkable how many people complain about the card being defective because it can't wake up, who have this setting disabled.>> >>

Unfortunately, it is not a sticky; however, I do not think having the power save box checked is an intuitive solution, since you would think that the opposite would be true--that is, if the computer is allowed to shut the device off, then the device would not be seen again; however, in this case, the opposite is true. If it was intuitive, that would be the very first thing someone would have recommended; however, it was several pages in the thread as a possible solution and on other web forums.

<< << Works perfectly, other than not showing 802.11acc in the drop down menus and in netsh, >> Windows 7 issue, not the card. Windows 8 displays it properly.>> >>

I never said not having 802.11ac in the drop down menu or 802.11ac not showing up in netsh was a card issue. Again, not an intuitive conclusion that it is a Windows 7 issue, if you have the latest intel drivers. Latest drives identify the card correctly has 7260 AC, but does not register 11ac capability.

0 Kudos
Cde_G
Novice

Hahaha. Tried that over a year ago when the card was first released. I think it may have boosted disconnection times from 30 seconds to a full 45! Maybe a success story by Intel standards but Not for the rest of us!!

0 Kudos
Cde_G
Novice

P.S. I'm running Windows 8. And as a preemptive response for the next silly retort, reading through the forums shows the issue affects both older laptops as well as newer models which actually came bundled with this card. Why won't Intel just own up to their own inferior engineering? -Guess their just waiting to stall everyone for a couple more months untill legal says they can safely get away with EOL-ing the card. I really think it's time for a class action.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

tkimchi wrote:

Unfortunately, it is not a sticky; however, I do not think having the power save box checked is an intuitive solution, since you would think that the opposite would be true--that is, if the computer is allowed to shut the device off, then the device would not be seen again; however, in this case, the opposite is true.

I know it. When your card isn't waking up, it seems wacky that you'd enable a setting allowing it to sleep. But there you go. That setting fixes that issue most of the time, from reading here and several other forums.

I never said not having 802.11ac in the drop down menu or 802.11ac not showing up in netsh was a card issue. Again, not an intuitive conclusion

Yeah, that, too. There's a lot about this card that seems to throw people, whether how it works itself, or how Windows and/or routers handle it. It has a steep learning curve. Probably too steep for many. But it works great once you get it going.

0 Kudos
SMons2
New Contributor I

You're the only other person I've come across running the 7260 on a VGN-Z (I own the Oceania equivalent of the Z690).

That aside, I'm currently trying to make use of the 7260 on my D54250 NUC (after giving up on the VGN-Z, and reverting back to the 5100 for that). For the 7260, even with the latest driver, I'm having some serious throughput issues. The speed variances are completely random, and for the life of me I cannot determine why. Near zero interference where I live, and the radio signal is going through one wall. As a comparison, my VGN-Z with the 5100 doesn't have a single hiccup.

Just tried the recommended settings and it's still a no-go. The 7260 is decent in some instances, and dismal at all other times.

If anything, I've pinged my wireless router multiple times and the ping times range from 1ms all the way up to 3000ms. So yeah, I'm still having issues.,,

0 Kudos
SMons2
New Contributor I

Right. Managed to free up some time to thoroughly research this problem for myself. After a good 30 minutes mix-matching settings in Device Manager to no avail, I ended up in the BIOS of the NUC (a D54250).

In the Power tab, I was tinkering around with the ASPM and ACPI tick boxes. Initially, these were left unticked. I ticked both, saved the settings, and booted into Windows (7 x64).

Windows wouldn't initially connect to the internet. Going into Device Manager, my 7260AC card was now classed as # 2, and all the wireless settings had been reset. Okay, maybe the PCI setting changes affected how the system refers to the 7260 card. I ran the windows troubleshooter and it reset various IP settings, and I was finally on the net.

It's now fast. At times.

To check the connection reliability I started up cmd and pinged my router. The pings are epic large (averaging around 750ms). But the internet speeds are still very fast most of the time.

Now, I went back into the BIOS and unticked both boxes and rebooted into Windows. The Device Manager now shows the original 7260 device (without the # 2 branding), and my old wireless settings are now there. Going onto the internet, I'm greeted by the dismally slow speeds once again (can't stream a 1080 Youtube video without it buffering every 2 minutes). But the kicker is that running cmd and pinging my router again, the pings are averaging 200ms and less.

The cmd results are somewhat contradictory. And I'm thinking that this whole issue could potentially be related to how it is powered by the host machine. Heck, the wake-from-sleep fiasco is probably classed as a power-related issue, so the throughput / speed variances could very well be due to the same class of problem(s).

For now, I'm going to continue tinkering with the ASPM and ACPI settings. I just want a fast (and reliable) connection. My Asus USB dongle takes up a USB port and was never intended to run 10 hours a day.

I know the mods here are taking quite a bit of flak for the sheer stupidity that the Intel wireless engineering staff have apparently shown us forum dwellers. I'd suggest get your acts together and get this resolved. I've had a look through the Lenovo and the now unmonitored Sony Vaio forums and the 7260 class cards and their owners are literally at the end of their patience levels. I don't live in the States, I can smell a class-action suit or two coming quite soon by some (very) wealthy Vaio Pro 13 owners...

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may want to discuss performance issues in a different thread since this one deals with a different topic. We encourage maintaining the discussion within the subject and product posted by the thread starter (original poster).

/community/tech/wireless/content https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/wireless/content

Cde_G
Novice

Speaking of which, do we know yet why a year and a half after the release of this card it's still non functional? ...and three months since a release (Intel should have overnight ed a hot fix for this thing)!! Who can we contact at Intel for refunds on this boat anchor?? Unable to use my laptop (now devalued from $1200.-- to $200 and gotten NOTHING out of it). I will contact a lawyer if no fix is presented within the following week..

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

I and others here have working cards. I'm willing to help you. But first, quit acting like a jerk and throwing around pejoratives and making threats. Second, list the driver you're using, and the settings you have currently selected in the Advanced tab of the adapter properties. Also, how do you have the "Allow the computer to turn off this device" setting configured in Power Management.

Also, list your router settings.

Maybe we can get you going.

0 Kudos
DKimb
Novice

Well stated GattoNero!

cLOWNgOD,

It's important to remember when dealing with forums that the only people you hear from are those having problems. People who have 7260 cards that are working fine are not going to come here just to say so. My guess is that the percentage of people having problems with these cards is a tiny fraction of 1% so Intel is not going to treat this as a total failure or respond to threats of lawsuits. Large corporations such as Intel have armies of lawyers so they do not fear legal action from individuals and class action lawsuits are initiated by law firms when there are HUGE financial rewards to be gained such as with corporate stock issues, vehicle design problems resulting in death, etc. Take Gatto's advice and try the approaches that have helped most others here and perhaps you can get your system working.

D

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

I agree with this as well. No issues here. Perfect WiFi, no connection and sleep issues whatsoever on ANY locations. Blazingly fast at 50 - 60 MB/s all the time when in line of sight! Range is phenomenal and speed doesn't decrease much with range! No tweaks needed. Every settings are default.

Only .01 % of 7260 users have issues and they all go here for a fix, but the 99.99% have no issues so they don't go here to complain.

0 Kudos
RWidm1
Beginner

Dilburt wrote:

My guess is that the percentage of people having problems with these cards is a tiny fraction of 1% so Intel is not going to treat this as a total failure or respond to threats of lawsuits.

A poor, uninformed guess at that. Intel themselves do not say that, they say there is a known issue between their card and Windows 8.1 that they have not been able to resolve. So you are more defensive of Intel than even they are. It is most definitely larger than 1%.

0 Kudos
DKimb
Novice

I am not defensive of Intel and have no connection with them other than the Intel components I have purchased. I stated that my estimate was a guess which is more than you have done. My company has hundreds of Lenovo T440 laptops containing Intel 7260 cards and according to IT we have not experienced a single connectivity or sleep problem here so my guess was at least informed by this. I upgraded my personal laptop (Dell L521x) to the 7260 card because it is so much faster than the Killer Wireless card it came with and this is when I experienced the sleep problem (which is solved now).

Do you have any evidence that the number of people having problems is "definitely larger than 1%" or is your estimate uninformed?

D

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Same here at work. We also have hundreds of Lenovo Thinkpad T540 using 7260 on WiFi with Aruba Network APs and no issues whatsoever.

It isn't 1%. It's 0.01% who has issues and 99% of that 0.01% are router configuration/firmware problems.

0 Kudos
RWidm1
Beginner

Anybody else find it curious that these guys are trolling a help board extolling the virtues of the product in question?

I'll assume you professors have already made up your minds.

For the rest of us who aren't in a warm Intel embrace...

Windows 8.1 is apparently where the deepest issues are with this 7260 card... again, something Intel acknowledges. It may affect 64 bit Windows 8.1 more than 32 bit Windows 8.1 (or vice versa), perhaps explaining why some could have large installations of Win 7 or Win 8.1 32 bit with minimal issues. Most people will go to the websites of the manufacturer when their computer fails. This card is getting an enormity of forum posts on manufacturer sites such as Lenovo and Dell, and of course, we here are probably a little more aware if we are coming to Intel forums where this issue is playing out (sleep and speed) over many months on heavily trafficked threads.

So if someone wants to believe that a wifi card with tons of reported issues for more than a year on a heavily shipped OS with a manufacturer that acknowledges an unresolved issue with that OS = .01%, then be my guest. Just don't be our professor.

0 Kudos
DKimb
Novice

So I guess in your vocabulary, a professor is anyone who isn't into bashing products or other board members and would rather help other people solve problems. I guess that works for me.

I think the recent posts from myself and others that you are referring to are a reaction to the people who spend their time here bashing the product and spitting vitriol which unfortunately does not help anyone solve their 7260 problems.

You can say whatever you want but the problems you are having with this board are probably being caused by some setting on your laptop or the router you connect to. If you would spend more time looking into the solutions other people have shared here and less time bashing, you might find that it actually works.

D

0 Kudos
SHaig
Novice

Agreed.

I was having issues. Removed all previously installed drivers, then installed the drivers I uploaded here: https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe

Problem is solved. Don't screw with the settings, then this driver should work as intended. At least it does for everyone else I've had feedback from. I haven't bothered to look if there is a newer version on the Intel site....

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Widmark wrote:

For the rest of us who aren't in a warm Intel embrace...

Quit your bitching and let's get to work on this.

Post your driver version.

List all of the advanced settings in the adapter properties. All of them.

What do you have configured in the Power Management tab?

List all of your router/modem settings. One band or two? List settings for both.

Your move.

0 Kudos
Cde_G
Novice

To all the good folks here flaming me:

Where to begin.. The silent majority. I'm hearing statistics like "<.01% failure" and I'm not buying it. The very fact that the card in sold as "AC" does not even have a menu that supports AC or even N is a red flag right there. The gating issue however is failure to maintain a connection. Let's examine that:

The fact that the issues exist on various current OSes (x86 as well as x64 flavors) is another red flag. The issues exist across the gamut of laptop manufacturers as well as ages (8 yr old laptops right up to current models some of which actually shipped with this card installed) is yet another slam dunk. The only variable left is RF environment. Granted, I don't have a spectrum analyzer handy, however other manufacturers cards running inches away on other devices have no such issues. So NOTO BE A "JERK" or ruffle anyone's feathers (gato negro) - as us annoying customers that buy your goods tend to do, but maybe you can explain where that <.01% failure data comes from? Is it <em>empirical data??, or is there some magic calculation? I'm seeing and endless string of posters here reiterating the same connection issues. And I'm guessing the vast majority of posters are not even aware of this forum or are looking elsewhere for answers if not to return the card.

0 Kudos
Cde_G
Novice

To Gato Negro and theveterans:

Where to begin.. The silent majority. I'm hearing statistics like "<.01% failure" and I'm not buying it. The very fact that the card in sold as "AC" does not even have a menu that supports AC or even N is a red flag right there. The gating issue however is failure to maintain a connection. Let's examine that:

The fact that the issues exist on various current OSes (x86 as well as x64 flavors) is another red flag. The issues exist across the gamut of laptop manufacturers as well as ages (8 yr old laptops right up to current models some of which actually shipped with this card installed) is yet another slam dunk. The only variable left is RF environment. Granted, I don't have a spectrum analyzer handy, however other manufacturers cards running inches away on other devices have no such issues. So NOTO BE A "JERK" or ruffle anyone's feathers (gato negro) - as us annoying customers that buy your goods tend to do, but maybe you can explain where that <.01% failure data comes from? Is it <em style="font-family: Thread-000070e8-Id-00000011;">empirical data??, or is there some magic calculation? I'm seeing and endless string of posters here reiterating the same connection issues. And I'm guessing the vast majority of posters are not even aware of this forum or are looking elsewhere for answers if not to return the card.

0 Kudos