Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC7260 limited network access after sleep / hibernation with wake on lan

PEnis
Beginner

thx for the help so far in the old thread, which is unfortunately locked.

I have an Intel AC 7260 desktop network card and I still have this problem: When I wake up my PC from hibernation mode via wake on lan (magic packet) i have limited access and no connection to the Internet. I always have to reconnect to regain full access.

Important: When I check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" as advised before and leave the other two options unchecked (allow to wake from hibernation and only allow magic packets to activate), I don't have this problem (when waking my PC with mouse or keyboard).

But in order to use wake on lan, I need to check all three options. Basically, wake on lan works fine, with the only issue of not having a connection after booting.

A have also activated Intel Smart connect technology (ISCT) in BIOS and installed the corresponding software. ISCT is supported by my PC, but I don't think it is somehow connected to my issue anyway.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I have windows 8.1 x64, and 17.13.11.5 drivers installed for the AC7260 adapter.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
PEnis
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the help,

I've installed the update and it seemed to fix the problem at first, but when I wake my PC after a longer period (not just right after I put it to hibernation, but over night),

the issue is still there. The connection symbol (wifi) in windows 8 looks normal after booting, but then the question mark appears after 30-60s. I'm not sure whether it looses connection after a while or whether windows takes some time to recognize that there is no connection at all. Reconnecting still helps.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello mikrotubulus,

Could you please take a screenshot and show it here?

0 Kudos
PEnis
Beginner
0 Kudos
PEnis
Beginner
0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello mikrotubulus,

Is this adapter the original one that came installed in this computer or did you install it later?

0 Kudos
PEnis
Beginner

I've installed it later.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello mikrotubulus,

On our best effort to assist you with this issue you can try the following settings below. Nevertheless, we would like to inform you that Intel does not support integrations as the original wireless card has been modified by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) in order to fit their system. You can find more detailed information here about this matter: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

1 - http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

2 - Set the advanced settings of WLAN adapter. Go to Device Manager >>> Network Adapters >>> Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and then right click and select Properties.

3 - Select the Advanced tab and set the U-APSD value to disabled. You can find more details here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034875.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Access Point Interoperability Issue with uAPSD

4 - Check the Transmit Power value to see if it is set to 5 ( highest ).

5 - Optimize the wireless network. You can find the optimized connections settings between WLAN adapter and the router by choosing the setting which suits the network environment and the router, you can have better connection quality and more stable connection

0 Kudos
PEnis
Beginner

hello, thx for your help so far,

I don't understand the part "...the wireless card has been modified by the OEM". How can I check whether this is the case/ turn it off? I've only installed the intel drivers?

The above mentioned settings seem to be the standard settings, that I've used anyway.

My wifi connection is quite perfect and stable, so I don't think that's the issue. Wake on lan works and wifi works, but not in combination. Somehow the network card fails to connect properly after wol.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mikrotubulus,

Please allow us to explain this to you. Wireless card and installation for laptops are to be installed only by the OEM and/or authorized technicians, they are not meant to be installed by end users. The reason behind this is that when an OEM build a system and install the wireless card, they perform a series of changes on the adapter such as voltage, disabling or adding features...etc, in order to fit the system and have it to work with no issue. When one installs another wireless card that was not designed and/or adapted to match the system requirements, it may work for sometime but then later certain connectivity issues may start appearing. That is the reason Intel does not support this kind of integration. Please consult your computer manufacturer to see if they can provide any customized drivers that might resolve the issue as our drivers are generic and may not meet all the requirements of your system.

0 Kudos
PEnis
Beginner

Hi,

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't have a laptop, but a desktop PC!

0 Kudos
PEnis
Beginner

I've just noticed that I have this connection issue not only when using wake on lan (via magic packet), but also when waking the PC over my keyboard. (Only when all three boxes are checked)

Is there any news?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mikrotubulus,

We are going to investigate on this is issue with more details. As a workaround, please turn off and then on this adapters using device manager.

0 Kudos
PEnis
Beginner

Hi,

no deactivating and activating didn't change anything.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

mikrotubulus,

Thanks for your reply. Please know that we are investigating and as soon as we have an answer we will provide you.

Ddid you dod the following below?

Select the Advanced tab and set the U-APSD value to disabled. You can find more details here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034875.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Access Point Interoperability Issue with uAPSD

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mikrotubulus,

Can you do this procedure exactly in this order, please ?

1 - Uninstall the PROSet and drivers. Make sure that "the delete the driver software for this device option is checked as shown in the picture below.

2 - Reinstall version 17.16... from scratch and make sure you are doing this time a custom installation. Do not forget to add all the three option including all the extensions.

3 - Create a new wireless profile and delete old ones and attempt to connect.

4 - Check with the board OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for any possible BIOS update.

Let us know if this helped you.

0 Kudos
PEnis
Beginner

Hi,

it seemed to work at first, but turns out only when I wake up the PC in a short time after hibernation. Waking up after a few hours results also in "no internet connection"

I've followed your instructions. The BIO I'm using is the newest.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello mikrotubulus,

We are consulting with our engineering department. We will provide you an answer as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

mikrotubulus,

Please check your private messages.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mikrotubulus,

We would like to inform you that Intel has released now drivers for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless - AC 7260. you can find the link here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260 Intel® Download Center

0 Kudos