Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC8265 slow wifi transfer in LAN

Danyro
Beginner

Hi

I have a brand new HP 830 G5 with windows 10 x64.

I am experiencing speed issues over wireless with the NAS, connected wired into a tenda AC router via a gigabit link.

i've tried all methods posted on this community without success (deleting drivers, install latest and older ones, adapt wireless adapter for AC connectivity etc, change router wifi to 80MHz and channel 48, tried with driver from HP and also from Intel website).

The speed is not going over ~220Mbps even i am connected at 866Mbps according to netsh wlan sh int.

if i connect to router via wire, i get the right speed of gigabit transfer between NAS and notebook.

what should i try further? i  thought intel cards are the best choice.

i am attaching the logs  provided by SSU tool.

hope for a solution.

thanks in advance

D.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Danyro

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this behavior further, could you please provide the following information to understand better your environment?

1- Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install it on the laptop?

2- Did this setup work fine before at any time of did the behavior started since the first day you got the laptop?

3- Have you checked if this behavior happens testing only the laptop, the NAS, and the router? (no other wireless devices connected to the wireless network during this test). What is the behavior and the speed you get?

4- Have you tried different WiFi channels? Please provide details:

5- What is the normal/average speed you get when connecting to the Internet? May you provide some speed-test screenshots?

6- Please provide the exact model and firmware version of the "tenda router":

7- Is it possible for you to capture over the air traces (OTA) when the behavior occurs? There are different software options available you may use, for instance, Wireshark*

https://www.wireshark.org/

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Danyro
Beginner

Hi Andrew

1. came pre-installed from factory

2. Dont know if issue was from very beginning as i noticed this issue few weeks ago, when i purchased the NAS device.

3. Disconnected all devices, the same. Laptop is the only device using 5GHz and it should have only for him  entire 866.7 mbps connection.

4. i've tried auto mode on channel and frequency, tried 36..48 channels in 80MHz, disable beamforming feature and all kind of such features on router. Power is set on MAX. router does not have other "advanced" settings.

5. i've 300Mbps UP/DOWN fiber internet line contract. i cannot reach more than ~250Mbps on speedtests. it  is the speed that i get when i am trying to copy from NAS. If i go wired, i am getting constantly ~296Mbps.

Attached a printscreen with a speedtest from my ISP. 

6. Router is Tenda AC10, latest firmware.

I've ordered a TP-link c2300 today, to see if i am having the same issue. In reviews, people are downloading on  AC connections with 5-600Mbps having this router.

I will post here the outcome.

keep in touch and thanks!

Daniel

0 Kudos
Danyro
Beginner

Ok, so i've replaced the router tenda AC10 with TPLINK Archer C2300, more powerful one.

the same speed with NAS - ~260Mbps.

I've replaced the NAS with another laptop connected wired via gigabit and the same speed..so its not an issue related to router or NAS. The issue is on my client laptop...i am out of ideas..

Boot with a Live Linux DVD (Ubuntu) and i have the same issue. same speed.

i am attaching the SSU connected to the new router - archer c2300.

0 Kudos
Danyro
Beginner

Andrew,

Took my wife laptop which is identically on HW configuration, except version of installed WIndows 10, and I have the same behavior. 

2 distinct laptops with identical HW, have the same slow speed issues.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Danyro

Thank you for your response.

Based on the latest Intel® SSU report the Receive Rate is "866.7 Mbps" and the Transmit Rate is "866.7 Mbps".

However, in real "Real World," there are many different factors that might affect the Throughput (Rate at which data is transmitted). Factors such as network overhead, user congestion, obstacles (such as walls), interference (Bluetooth*, other sources of 2.4GHz radio waves, neighboring networks using the same channels), and environmental factors may affect connection or speed. Also, the 5GHz band coverages smaller areas and it is less successful at penetrating solid objects, as well the distance from the Router may affect. We kindly recommend you to check if your environment may be affected by any of the scenarios previously described.

We also would like to recommend the following suggestions:

1- Make sure you have the latest Windows® updates on the system.

2- Based on the reports, we noticed that the computer is running Windows® 10 Enterprise LTSC Build 17763 and Driver Version: "20.70.17.1". There are newer drivers available on both the computer manufacturer HP* (OEM) and on Intel® Download Center.

For some devices with LTSC, Windows* 10 may be unable to install drivers that are required for operation, and sometimes drivers are only allowed through Windows® Update Service. However, if you are able to install drivers, we recommend you to perform an update of the Wireless driver following the steps below:

2.1- First try the OEM driver from HP* website, driver version 21.80.2.1 Rev.P:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-830-g5-notebook-pc/18477184/model/18477185?sku=2FZ83AV

2.2- If the behavior persists, you can try our latest generic driver 21.110.1 following the steps in the below link:

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki

Download Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, version 21.110.1:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29788/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94150

Note: In case you experience an issue updating the Intel® generic driver, please try the steps in the following thread using the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins package:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters/m-p/1197784/highlight/true#M30061

3- Check the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

4- We also recommend checking this behavior with the Microsoft® Support team since you are running an LTSC version of Windows*, so they may help to debug from their side.

If the behavior persists, please provide the following details:

1- Screenshot from Wi-Fi Status:

1.1- Open Control Panel.

1.2- Click on Network and Internet.

1.3- Click on Network and Sharing Center.

1.4- Under the "View your active networks" section, the wireless icon next to "Connections" will indicate the connection name.

1.5- Click the "connection name" to check the Wi-Fi Status details and take the screenshot.

2- How far are you from the Router? Are there objects or walls that may be blocking the signal?

3- With the drivers up to date, please provide new Intel® SSU reports from both your wife's laptop (as an additional reference) and from your computer.

4- If possible please capture over the air traces (OTA) when the behavior occurs. There are different software options available you may use, for instance, Wireshark*: https://www.wireshark.org/

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Danyro

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post the suggestions provided. Should you have additional concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Danyro
Beginner

Hi ANdrew

Dont know why when i am tryingto install latest OEM drivers, the windows shows me version 20.70.16.4/01.01.2020.

Your link to intel drivers 21.110.1 does not have it.

i've downloaded 21.110.1 from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=text#q=8265&t=Downloads&layout=table it shows 20.70.18.2/24.06.2020 instead of 21.110.1.

it is strange.

i will add a ssu from my wife laptop a bit later but i am lost. most probably i will look for a different vendor to test.

thanks Andrew for your time spent with my issue.

cheers

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Danyro

Thank you for your response.

The differences in the driver version you are seeing are expected. "21.110.1" refers to the "driver package" which contains drivers for different Intel® Wireless adapter models, hence, you may see different versions of the driver. For instance, driver package version 21.110.1.1 includes the following drivers: 

• 21.110.1.1 for Intel Wireless AX201/AX200/9560/9260/9462/9461 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 20.70.18.2 for Intel® Wireless 8265/8260 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 19.51.30.1 for Intel® Wireless 7265(Rev. D)/3165/3168

In this case, it is correct that you see "20.70.18.2" as the driver version for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265.

This may also explain the difference with the OEM driver from HP*

You may also repeat the clean installation steps using driver package version 21.90.3: (you will see actual driver version as 20.70.17.1):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?wapkw=8265

Please let us know if you have additional concerns and the outcome if you are able to test the drivers.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Danyro

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back in case you have additional concerns.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Danyro

We are checking this thread and we have not heard back from you nor we have received some information requested in our previous posts in order to check this further (e.g. screenshot from Wi-Fi Status, over the air traces (OTA), etc.).

In this case, we will be closing this thread soon and our last recommendation is to check this further with Microsoft® support since the system is running Windows® LTSC and that one does not allow for (normal) update device drivers (in most of the cases LTSC allows only for security patches updates). Another option would be to test with a regular Windows® 10 version (non-LTSC).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Danyro

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos