Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel AX201, 5Ghz Connection Issue

Qais
Novice

Hello,

I have recently bought (ASUS ROG Strix) Laptop come with a pre-installed Intel AX201 WiFi Chip.
When I try to connect to a 5Ghz network its gives me a (Can't Connect to a network) Message, and most of the time I cant see my 5Ghz networks !

I have the latest drivers version (22.0.0.6), i bought my laptop yesterday (it's new).
I have two routers (Fiberhome) & (TP-Link) and both routers 5Ghz network have the same issue.
5Ghz networks work propely on other devices (phones and other laptops).

Network driver :

Qais_0-1603633830033.png

Thats when i try to search for 5Ghz networks ! (Those all are 2.4Ghz)

Qais_1-1603633953181.png

when i disable then enable the card it shows 5Ghz networks

Qais_2-1603634029519.png

When i try to connect

Qais_3-1603634061426.png

Kindly your help in this case.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Qais
Novice

And this is my SSU check result

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Qais, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Since the laptop is brand new, at some point, did it work fine?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Do you have the option to test the laptop with a different Router or Access Point?

We always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them work with your specific platform.

Based on that, I looked in the SSU report you gave us but for some reason, it does not show the specific model of the computer, and when I visit ASUS's web site I can see that there are different versions of the laptop, do you know which one is the one you are using or if you have a link where we can see it?

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-G/HelpDesk_Download/

If you find the laptop and the drivers on ASUS's web site, please try a clean installation of the latest version of the Wireless driver provided by them:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

If the problem persists after that and since the laptop is brand new, then we suggest to get in contact directly with the place of purchase to verify their warranty options, most of the times they have a 30-day period, based on the fact that there could be a defective component or hardware failure in the system, especially as you mentioned that "when i disable then enable the card it shows 5Ghz networks".

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Qais
Novice

Since the laptop is brand new, at some point, did it work fine?
- Yes, it works fine on Huawei router but on low speed (around 10Mbps), but when i try to connect to the 1Gbps network on Fiberhome + TP link Routers its not connected !

When did the issue start?
- As i mentioned before when i try to connect on high speed wifi.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?
I update the AX201 to latest version of softwere, but also when i rollback to the brevious softwere version its not connected.

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?
-Home.

Do you have the option to test the laptop with a different Router or Access Point?
-Yes, i have three routers in three places (TP-link - 1Gbps \ Fiberhome - 1Gbps\ Huawei - 10Mbps)

Based on that, I looked in the SSU report you gave us but for some reason, it does not show the specific model of the computer, and when I visit ASUS's web site I can see that there are different versions of the laptop, do you know which one is the one you are using or if you have a link where we can see it?
- Please Check this (G512LI) - https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/ROG%20Strix%20G1517/HelpDesk_Download/

I will try to clean the driver and check again, but i have a little question; On 5Ghz network (80MHz) channel, how much speed i can get if i connected to 1Gbps network, and for AX with 80 & 160 MHz ?

Thanks for your support

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Qais, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Qais, Thank you very much for providing that information.

I looked on the ASUS's link you gave us with G512LI, and I do not see a Wireless driver available in there, most of the times they provide the driver on their website for installation. So yes, go ahead and try a clean driver installation of the Wireless driver and once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regarding your question, "On 5Ghz network (80MHz) channel, how much speed i can get if i connected to 1Gbps network, and for AX with 80 & 160 MHz ? We will double-check on this topic to try to provide the information you are requesting, as soon as I get any updates about your inquiry I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Qais, I Just received an update on this matter.

In reference to your question, "On 5Ghz network (80MHz) channel, how much speed i can get if i connected to 1Gbps network, and for AX with 80 & 160 MHz ?", it is very difficult for us to be able to provide a specific number or speed, keep in mind that there different variables that can determine speeds such as ISP, other users connected, AP, infrastructure walls, other appliances at home, band selected and so on, so is unlikely to provide an accurate answer as it depends on different factors.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results of trying a clean installation of the driver and what driver version did you install?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Qais, I just wanted to check if you were able to perform a clean installation of the Wireless driver and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Qais, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Also, after viewing the SSU report and based on the fact that the Wireless connection works fine with some Routers, what we recommend is to get in contact directly either with the manufacturers of the ones that are not working to verify if there is a firmware update available for them or with the Internet Service Provider to make sure the Router settings are the proper ones for the optimal functionality of the Wireless connection

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos