Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7438 Discussions

Intel AX201 not showing 5ghz networks, very slow over 2.4ghz

mattgrshaw
Beginner

Hi,

I recently installed a new motherboard (MSI MPG Z940 Gaming Edge) that includes the Intel AX201 wireless network adapter. This adapter only sees and connects to 2.4ghz networks, with very slow (3mbps) download/upload speeds. It won't display 5ghz networks at all.

Here's how I've narrowed it down to this adapter being the problem:

• Other computers can connect to the 5ghz network, even in the same room
  • I temporarily disabled the AX201 adapter and plugged in a cheap USB wifi dongle with a realtek network adapter and that connected to 5ghz with good speeds.
  • On that same USB wifi adapter, 2.4ghz speeds are over 100/100

Other relevant information:

• Router is an ASUS RT-AC3100, with the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks split out into two separate networks
  • I've tried installing/reinstalling/repairing the Intel drivers and MSI drivers and BIOS updates for the motherboard
  • I've attached the diagnostic info from the Intel SSU. I ran that scan while using the AX201 and connected to the 2.4ghz network.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello mattgrshaw,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below details:

• I understand that other devices are working properly with the router, are those devices AX or AC?

Since your router is AC, the best is to use the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity. Please check the below link, adjust the settings, and let me know the outcome https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-io/wireless.html

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello mattgrshaw,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello mattgrshaw,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos