Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7371 Discussions

Intel AX210 doesn't work after switching between Operating Systems.

Rlordum
Novice

Hello everybody! I use both Windows 11 (current build 22000.168) and Windows 10 21H1 on my laptop (7th gen i5 based) and do have such a strange trouble -  if i switch between these two OSes the AX210 (i replaced built-in AC7265 with this one) refuses to work. In Device Manager, it usually shows 'the device cannot start (code 10)'. BUT after 30 mins to 1-2 hours (or after 2-4 reboots) wi-fi adapter may (or may not) just begin working. I've tried to reinstall driver, reset Network and (even) have done unplugging -> plugging in this wi-fi card - nothing helped. What can i do to resolve this issue?

Big thanks to all in advance!

I apologize for my (presumably) inaccurate English.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rlordum

We would like to add one more thing in regards to our previous post.

If the issue persists and the system is still showing the error in Device Manager, this actually may be related to a bigger compatibility issue (also considering you have already tried a "network reset and unplugging -> plugging the device"). In those cases, the root cause of the problem could be also one of the following:

• There is a compatibility issue with the configuration/Operating System (e.g.: Windows version + computer + driver)
  • The system may require a firmware update.
  • The system connector for the wireless card is not designed (e.g.: at the electronic level) to work with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+) and the system might not be compatible with this wireless card.
  • There is a limitation from your computer manufacturer (OEM), in this case, HP*.

In those scenarios, our recommendation is to check directly with your OEM to confirm full compatibility and for additional debugging and assistance from their site. Contacting your OEM is also very important to determine if the Wireless adapter would be compatible with your laptop (e.g.: socket connector, BIOS, operating system, software/drivers, etc.) or if the problem could be a hardware issue (either with the wireless card or with the connector on the computer). For your convenience, here is the link to HP* Support.

Your OEM may also assist to review if there could be a problem with Windows* 11 and the dual-boot configuration. It is worth mentioning that despite our latest generic drivers support Windows* 11, it has not been officially released yet and the general recommendation is to report any issue related to it to Microsoft* Support since this is a "BETA or Insider* Preview version" part of an open software testing program by Microsoft.

Note:

Please be aware that the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. When an end-user installs a wireless card on a system that did not come with it from the factory, this is what we call "Wireless Integration" and it may cause connection issues or software-hardware errors. For more information please review the following links:

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Rlordum

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- We understand that you have dual boot on your system running Windows® 10 and Windows® 11 BETA? Is this correct?

Is the behavior occurring on both operating systems (OS)?

2- Did the wireless connection work fine before at any time? Or is the issue happening since the very first day that you installed the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210?

3- If this worked fine before, do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?

4- Before replacing the built-in Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 with the new Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210, did you check/confirm with the laptop manufacturer's Support team that the new adapter is fully compatible with the system?

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Rlordum
Novice

Thank You so much for your prompt reply and attention to this matter.

1 Yes. This is correct. For first, i upgraded Win10 to Win11 via Windows Update, then did install Windows 10 as a secondary system using official ISO. 

The behavior may occur if i boot to Windows 10 after using Win 11 for some time. And the problem 'gets prolonged' on Windows 10 - if Windows 11 is being booted once again, then AX210 usually starts (in 5-10 mins or less) working properly, but only on Win 11: it is not functioning on Win 10 at all (it might begin working after being rebooted for several times (Win10->reboot->Win10...).

2 The wireless connection worked almost (some non-critical self-resolving problems if changing Wi-Fi 6 to 5 and back) perfectly since the very first day AX210 was installed/inserted. 

3 In the first time switching from Windows 11 to the Windows 10 (beyond it's installation), there were problems, but they were not 'fatal' (meaning the Internet got brought back by itself).

4 NO, i did not contact HP's support - only have checked (specifications i found on the Internet) for physical compatibility of miniPCIe (M.2) slot with the new wi-fi card.

Thank You for your help; and sorry for English.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rlordum

Thank you for your response.

In regards to this behavior and since the system usually shows a Code 10 error in Device Manager, as a first approach, we recommend performing a Cold reboot of the system. This refers to fully shut down the device and remove all sources of power, including batteries if applicable, then repowering.

If the issue persists proceed with the following steps:

1- Install all available Windows Updates.

2- Perform a clean installation of both the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers.

Note: We reviewed the website for this computer "OMEN by HP* Laptop 17-an0xx" and it seems the computer manufacturer (OEM) HP* doesn't offer drivers for this model. Checking their Release Notes*, we don't see the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+) in the list of "DEVICES SUPPORTED". Using first the OEM drivers is the usual recommendation; however, in this case, we will try just with the Intel® generic drivers.

2.1- Download and save to your computer the drivers' installer: 

To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet.

2.2- Follow the next steps on this link for a Clean Installation of Wireless and Bluetooth Drivers. Install the Bluetooth driver first, and then the Wireless driver. 

2.3- Reboot the PC

Feel free to share the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rlordum

We would like to add one more thing in regards to our previous post.

If the issue persists and the system is still showing the error in Device Manager, this actually may be related to a bigger compatibility issue (also considering you have already tried a "network reset and unplugging -> plugging the device"). In those cases, the root cause of the problem could be also one of the following:

• There is a compatibility issue with the configuration/Operating System (e.g.: Windows version + computer + driver)
  • The system may require a firmware update.
  • The system connector for the wireless card is not designed (e.g.: at the electronic level) to work with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+) and the system might not be compatible with this wireless card.
  • There is a limitation from your computer manufacturer (OEM), in this case, HP*.

In those scenarios, our recommendation is to check directly with your OEM to confirm full compatibility and for additional debugging and assistance from their site. Contacting your OEM is also very important to determine if the Wireless adapter would be compatible with your laptop (e.g.: socket connector, BIOS, operating system, software/drivers, etc.) or if the problem could be a hardware issue (either with the wireless card or with the connector on the computer). For your convenience, here is the link to HP* Support.

Your OEM may also assist to review if there could be a problem with Windows* 11 and the dual-boot configuration. It is worth mentioning that despite our latest generic drivers support Windows* 11, it has not been officially released yet and the general recommendation is to report any issue related to it to Microsoft* Support since this is a "BETA or Insider* Preview version" part of an open software testing program by Microsoft.

Note:

Please be aware that the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. When an end-user installs a wireless card on a system that did not come with it from the factory, this is what we call "Wireless Integration" and it may cause connection issues or software-hardware errors. For more information please review the following links:

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Rlordum
Novice

Thank You so much for such a detailed answer!!! I will try performing all the mentioned steps. As for now, AX210 works very good (for a few last times, it didn't fail to initialize even after changing the operating system).

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rlordum

Thank you for your response and it is good to know that as for now the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 is working fine. We will keep the thread open so you can monitor the behavior and share any additional feedback either if the device continues working fine or about the steps (in case you try them). Please don't hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rlordum

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Does the wireless device continue working fine? If yes, can we consider this request solved? Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Rlordum
Novice

Hello AndrewG_Intel!

Thanks again!

It works as expected, Wi-Fi  continues to remain stable and fast.

I have found the possible cause of the problem with AX210 - Windows cannot initialize it if i change the OS during the booting process (directly in the Windows Boot Manager menu). But there is a most helpful workaround I've ever discovered (when AX210 doesn't fail to work) (doing the following steps each time i need the different OS to be booted with no any driver-related issues) - Settings -> About -> Additional system settings -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings... -> Default operating system -> Windows 10 to Windows 11 if Windows 10 is being used and if Windows 11 - Windows 11 to Windows 10.

You definitely can now consider this request solved!

Appreciate your help a lot!!!

Kind regards,

Rlordum (Radomir)

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rlordum

Thank you very much for your response and for the feedback. We are glad to know that the Wi-Fi continues to remain stable and works as expected. Thank you also for taking the time to share the steps on how you solve this behavior; hopefully, this may help other community peers having similar behavior.

Since you have marked the thread as "Solved" and we can now consider this request solved, we will proceed to close this inquiry. As a final recommendation, in case the issues persist with this deployment, we also recommend reviewing this further with the computer manufacturer for additional debugging and to confirm full compatibility (e.g. with the wireless card, with the operating systems, etc) and for additional steps.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos