Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Centrino N2230 lose Wifi connection since Windows 8 upgrade

idata
Employee

Good evening,

I upgraded my Asus N76VZ, equipped with an Intel Centrino N 2230 WiFi board, to Windows 8 at the end of last month. Before this upgrade I din't notice any problem with Wifi connexion (I own it since October 8th).

But since Windows 8 is on my PC, I'm losing WiFi connexion 1 to 3 times per day. When the connexion is lost, it is impossible to reestablish it as I have the message "No connection available". If I launch a diagnostic of the board in the Configuration Panel, the connection becomes sometimes available but is lost again a few minutes later. The only way I have is to restart the PC. Then the connection remains stable for a few hours (variable duration).

I searched on Intel site and I found exactly the same symptom here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro3945abg/sb/CS-031631.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro3945abg/sb/CS-031631.htm

But as you will see, the problem seems to be corrected with driver 13.2.1.0 and mine is 15.5.6.48. I tried the configuration change described in this page as a workaround, but without effect.

Today, I had the idea to launch the Intel Event Observer utility to capture information. I noticed the connection lost around 16:41. It realy hapened a few minutes before, but not a long time as I was sorting my bookmarks, so I was accessing to internet frequently. The capture's result are at the end of this message.

As you will see there is almost nothing all day long (I started the utility around 10:00 AM). Fire starts at 16:02. There is a first connexion lost at 16:04 but I didn't noticed it, connexion as been re-established without my intervention. The described problem appears at 16:38, but you can see the many messages of authentication between the first (non-noticed disconnection and the noticed one). After this, multiple connections and disconnections are attempts to restart the board using the Windows Control Panel. I finally had to restart the PC.

I hope someone could understand what happens to my system and help me to solve this issue.

Many thanks for your help and time,

Laurent

# SourceTimeError SeverityDomainDescription146ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 11:38:13InformationSecurityAuthenticating Wireless Profile: ALU22231145ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 11:38:34InformationSecurityAuthenticating Wireless Profile: ALU22231144ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 16:02:43InformationSecurityAuthenticating Wireless Profile: ALU22231143ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 16:03:50InformationSecurityAuthenticating Wireless Profile: ALU22231142ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 16:03:55Information<td style="color: # 575757; text-align: left; padding: 0px; background-color: transpar...
30 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi laurent_31,

To make sure there is no pre-selected option in your profile or any issue with the drivers, you can remove your wireless driver and the Intel® My Wi-Fi Dashboard driver along with the wireless profiles folder in your computer, and download them and reinstall them again. Here is step by step the right way to do it:

1- First download the latest drivers and software package (wireless_15.5.6_e64.exe) and save them to your desktop.

2- http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21999&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications%20 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21999&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications%20

Then download the dashboard software: (Intel_My_WiFi_Dashboard_15.5.6_e64.msi)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22008 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22008

3- Remove the Intel® PROSet software from Control Panel\ program and features or uninstall a program.

4- Go to the desktop view, right side bar, click on settings then on "PC info" click on 'device manager' (on the left panel) click on "Network Adapters"\Double-Click the adapter name\Drivers Tab and click on the "Uninstall" button if present. (You may also just click on the search option in the windows side bar and type "device manager")

5- Remove the Wireless folder found at C:\Users\your user name\Roaming\Intel.

6- Install the latest drivers. (Right-click on the icon of the driver, and click on "run as administrator")

You can check the following links for more information:

Recommendations after upgrading from Windows 7* to Windows 8*

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-033845.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-033845.htm

Intel® Wireless Products and Microsoft Windows* 8

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-033840.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-033840.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I proceed as described in your message. Unfortunately without the expected result.

If I let my PC switched-on all day long, it finishes by losing its connection with a lot of 5002/5005 events generated in the system logs. And when it is in this condition, it is not possible to reconnect to the Wifi network.I have to reboot the PC (the automatic connection at start-up work perfectly then).

I tried to change the parameters related to battery, but it didn't change anything.

The only improvement is that it seems to be less frequent than before. It's now only once a day (and sometimes once every two days).

Again, thank you for your help.

Laurent

CKent
Beginner

Hi,

As Laurent_31 has suggested, your answer did not really solve the issue. I am experiencing the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 which has a N2230 wireless adapter as well. I have updated the driver to the latest one released on 1/30/2013 and the issue persists. I have spent over 50hrs to try to fix this and to no avail. I am calling Dell Support to simply replace the faulty single-band adapter. I can't believe this is how Intel treats its customers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Mark!

Thanks a lot for your post. I had to change my operating system to Windows 8 in order to eliminate a crytical error in my previous system. So, two days later a noticed that something wrong was happening with my Intel centrino N2230 WiFi card. I noticed that I'm losing WiFi connection. And when it is lost, it's impossible to reestablish it as i had a message: "Unable to connect to ....". And every time when I managed to connect to the hotspot, the connection was then lost in 30-60 seconds.Then I thought that It's something wrong with Windows 8 and Installed Windows7. I worked quietly for a week on my laptop and yesterday the problem appeared again. If a launch a WiFi log a see many lines with a message "Authenticating Wireless Profile", If I launch a diagnostic, the connection becomes sometimes available for a few minutes (or seconds) but it is lost again then. I tried to reinstall drivers and Intel My WiFi dashboard, but unsuccessfully. How do you think, what could it be and what should I do in this situation?

Thanks for your help,

Albert.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I recently got Alienware m14x r2 which has n2230 on board. I am dropping connection too. When I try to reconnect, it would not connect unless I restart the laptop. I have dual boot win7 and win8. Windows 7 is doing fine with out any problems. I think the problem is windows 8 here. Please let us know when it will get fixed.

0 Kudos
CKent
Beginner

Hi there, the solution to this is to call Dell Technical Support and complain and show this thread to them. One supervisor finally agreed to give me a replacement of Dell Wireless 1901 (2.4Ghz+5Ghz) which is faulty as well, but fared better than Intel Centrino's. And today, Dell released an updated driver to 1901. Hopefully, this solves the issue once and for all.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

my girlfriend bought a Sony Vaio SVE recently with Windows 8 and it has an Intel Centrino N2230 as wireless card.

But oftenly, wifi is not available eventhough it's still connected on the local network.

On the wifi event viewer, there are a lot of lines like "Authenticating Wireless Profile".

I installed the latest drivers 15.5.6.48, but it didn't fix the issue.

Please do something. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I tried the latest drivers 15.6.0.16 released on 20 February.

This issue is still here.

I tried different channel, from 1 to 13.

I even tried to change the key encryption to switch from 802.11G -> 802.11N, no luck either.

I have an other computer which is on the same wireless network and it hasn't this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same issue here. Using a new Lenovo Y500 with Windows 8. Cuts out several times a day. Seems to be most prevalent while playing online games making online play nearly impossible as the connection will drop within minutes. Regular web surfing or downloading content is more reliable but not immune.

Most unobtrusive solution I've found (unobtrusive meaning not having to restart) is simply to open the Device Manager and choose Intel Centrino Wireless from Network Adapters then change an advanced setting. Doesn't really matter what. I usually pick Wireless Mode and alternate between "b/g" and "g". Click OK and the connection is restored.

idata
Employee

Ben, thanks a lot for your advice, i'll test it. But you should understand that If It works, it's only for a while. It's interesing to know if the board is itself defective or there are bugs in our operating systems, which appear only in our WiFi boards.

P.S. How much time do you work without disconnecting from the hotspot after the procedure, you've told about?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Albert, it's only a temporary solution: a means to reconnect to the network without having to restart. How long it actually lasts is extremely variable. Most often I can change a setting, save it, and it'll remain connected for several hours or even a couple days. Other times, I have to go through the process several times within just a half hour.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So, is anybody from Intel monitoring this thread? I have the same problem with a HP dv7-7203 and Win8. However, with driver 15.3.1 I can somewhat connect to the router

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've reinstalled my drivers (current version is 15.4.1.1), picked the 'g' mode in the settings and my laptop hadn't been disconnected from the hotspot yet. Maybe the problem is solved? I'll write you 3-4 days later if the problem doesn't appear again!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thanks to all of you for posting.

You may want to install the latest Intel® wireless driver (linked below) and the latest firmware on the access point you are connecting to. If possible test the connection with a different access point/router.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3507&DwnldID=22547&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+2230&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3507&DwnldID=22547&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+2230&lang=eng

It is also a good idea to test the connection without security from the access point. Otherwise, make sure the security is set to WPA2 – AES only.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Joe!

I've already installed the latest drivers and firmware from intel.com. I've also tried to connect to different hotspots, including my phone without security as well as with it- It didn't help too. Then I picked the 'g' mode In the boards's settings and 'm still working without disconnects. Maybe It's a solution. Who knows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm starting to think that de problem is related with the power plan. If I set the Power Saving Mode "On battery" to Maximum Performance, it seems to work fine...

Have you checked if the problem happens to you only when your on battery?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hmm. Now I'm working in Maximum Power Saving mode, but my power plan is High Perfomance. I'll set it to Power saver and check how long would it work without disconnects.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello! Today I've installed Ubuntu 12.10 and there isn't a problem with connection!

P.S. I couldn't connect to the hotspots while working under Windows OS for two days.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello! I think I've found the solution to our problem. Check that your cooler Is on. My was turned off and I couldn't connect to the hotspots. Then I turned It on and haven't been disconnected yet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem here on Lenovo Y500 Windows 8

Tried different solutions, none worked. The problem is prevalent with online games, probably an ftp access as well.

One thing I think no one mentioned - my internet is not working properly on my present wifi, which is free access, without password.

But I tried it at my parents, where I have to connect using password and there was no problem at all.

So I think the problem is some kind of coincidence of Win 8 driver and wifi-router settings. Unfortunately I cannot test it because I do not have direct access to the router now.

BUT, as I am fed up now with this, today I am getting some cheap usb wifi card and disabling this intel's "crap"(sorry but the problem is so common on different laptops, it is all over the place for more than half year, without solution..). I hope there will be no problem kicking it out of system and using new wifi receiver, so I can report tommorow how it goes.

0 Kudos