Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7443 Discussions

Intel Centrino N2230 lose Wifi connection since Windows 8 upgrade

idata
Employee

Good evening,

I upgraded my Asus N76VZ, equipped with an Intel Centrino N 2230 WiFi board, to Windows 8 at the end of last month. Before this upgrade I din't notice any problem with Wifi connexion (I own it since October 8th).

But since Windows 8 is on my PC, I'm losing WiFi connexion 1 to 3 times per day. When the connexion is lost, it is impossible to reestablish it as I have the message "No connection available". If I launch a diagnostic of the board in the Configuration Panel, the connection becomes sometimes available but is lost again a few minutes later. The only way I have is to restart the PC. Then the connection remains stable for a few hours (variable duration).

I searched on Intel site and I found exactly the same symptom here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro3945abg/sb/CS-031631.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro3945abg/sb/CS-031631.htm

But as you will see, the problem seems to be corrected with driver 13.2.1.0 and mine is 15.5.6.48. I tried the configuration change described in this page as a workaround, but without effect.

Today, I had the idea to launch the Intel Event Observer utility to capture information. I noticed the connection lost around 16:41. It realy hapened a few minutes before, but not a long time as I was sorting my bookmarks, so I was accessing to internet frequently. The capture's result are at the end of this message.

As you will see there is almost nothing all day long (I started the utility around 10:00 AM). Fire starts at 16:02. There is a first connexion lost at 16:04 but I didn't noticed it, connexion as been re-established without my intervention. The described problem appears at 16:38, but you can see the many messages of authentication between the first (non-noticed disconnection and the noticed one). After this, multiple connections and disconnections are attempts to restart the board using the Windows Control Panel. I finally had to restart the PC.

I hope someone could understand what happens to my system and help me to solve this issue.

Many thanks for your help and time,

Laurent

# SourceTimeError SeverityDomainDescription146ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 11:38:13InformationSecurityAuthenticating Wireless Profile: ALU22231145ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 11:38:34InformationSecurityAuthenticating Wireless Profile: ALU22231144ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 16:02:43InformationSecurityAuthenticating Wireless Profile: ALU22231143ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 16:03:50InformationSecurityAuthenticating Wireless Profile: ALU22231142ZCfgSvc11/16/2012 16:03:55Information<td style="color: # 575757; text-align: left; padding: 0px; background-color: transpar...
30 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you for all your advices.

I have a similar problem with a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad Twist i7 S230U: uneven slow speed and frequent disconnections.

After trying all the recommendations I do not have disconnections anymore, but the speed is still inconstant, waving from 0,1 Mbps to 8 Mbps. (I have other laptops connected to the same WiFi and the speed is stable around 10Mbps)

Is Intel offering a solution to this commonly reported problem with the N2230 runing in Windows 8, or should be blame Lenovo?

Thank You

0 Kudos
tgiur
Beginner

This one is driving me crazy for months on my ASUS n76vz.

Each of intel patchs is a new disappointment cherry,on top of the everyday cake of exasperation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

While running Windows 8, I also found the Intel provided drivers to be trash as usual for the wireless cards. It ran much better with the drivers provided through Windows Update. Uninstall the current drivers by right-clicking the WiFi card in the device manager, and choosing Uninstall. Select the box to delete the driver. Reboot your machine and connect to the internet with an LAN cable and use Windows Update to retrieve the driver for you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem on Lenovo Thinkpad E430 running Windows 8. Please Intel we need a solution!!!!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, same problem here with brand new Lenovo ThinkCentre with Intel centrino n 2230.

Got Windows 7, very last driver (15.4.1.1) downloaded from Intel. I have tried every possible combination with the settings of the card with no success. The connection keeps dropping erratically and it is impossible to move any file bigger than 10 MB on the local network as the connection drops. There are 4 more computers connected to the same wifi network and none has this problem.

So far, the best results are with the router to only N, the card with band auto, Roaming agressiveness to medium-low and the power to max.

Terribly poor quality product, Intel. Not to blame the integrator as many different brands are showing the same problem with this card.

Buying now a USB wireless adapter. Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, same problem here with brand new Lenovo ThinkCentre with Intel centrino n 2230.

Got Windows 7, very last driver (15.4.1.1) downloaded from Intel. I have tried every possible combination with the settings of the card with no success. The connection keeps dropping erratically and it is impossible to move any file bigger than 10 MB on the local network as the connection drops. There are 4 more computers connected to the same wifi network and none has this problem.

So far, the best results are with the router to only N, the card with band auto, Roaming agressiveness to medium-low and the power to max.

Terribly poor quality product, Intel. Not to blame the integrator as many different brands are showing the same problem with this card.

The most annoying is that if you just google "Intel Centrino N 2230 connection drop" you get thousands of hits... come on Intel!

Buying now a USB wireless adapter. Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
JBakk3
Novice

Hey Guys,

I've had the same problem as well, with Dell Inspiron 15z.

after Dell renewed all hardware without result, I have tried deleting all drivers.

This was the procedure:

- Uninstall Intel WiFi Dashboard

- Uninstall adapter from Computer Management, DO also uninstall drivers.

- Restart computer

- (do the last step 3 or 4 times, until you reach Microsoft drivers 14.8.8.75, date 5-12-2011)

This helped and my problems are now gone!!!

Regards,

Jeroen

MMulk1
Beginner

Hi Jeroen,

I too followed your advice above, and for the last few hours I have had no issues whatsoever!

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
MMulk1
Beginner

Hi Jeroen,

I too followed your advice above, and for the last few hours I have had no issues whatsoever!

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
MMulk1
Beginner

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos