Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN driver stops working after failed installation

FBell1
Novice

I tried to install several updates on a Windows 7 Lenovo Thinkpad W510 including one for the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN network adapter. The Ultimate-N 6300 update failed and WIFI stopped working. I uninstalled its driver and tried to reinstall. That fails also. Device status displays these messages "The device is not configured correctly (Code 1). The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name." With each reinstallation attempt a number at the end of the adapter name increments by one, ie "Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN # 1" goes to "Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN # 2".

My research indicates this is probably caused by old registry entries that make the installer think the driver is already installed.

Any suggestions? Perhaps someone knows how to identify or delete the old registry entries.

Frank

1 Solution
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

If this was caused by Windows Updates, you might want to disable Automatic Updates. Also, you might be able to undo the changes if your system had a previously saved restore point.

Another option is to do a clean installation of the wireless driver. Please follow these steps to remove any previously installed drivers before installing the recommended version.

1- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm PC manufacturer support to download and save their recommended version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. As second option, you can download the generic driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center.

2- Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", *If it is installed.

3- In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 and Uninstall it, make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver was detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well.

5- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6- Install the Intel® Wireless driver downloaded before. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Fbell50,

Thank you for the post. I will forward your concern to the wireless support group for them to better assist.

rgds,

wb

CSwee
Beginner

I Am having the exact same issue with a Thinkpad 410S. Looking forward to a solution ... My laptop is essentially unusable without Wifi.

AFyna
Beginner

Hi

Having what I think is same issue on a Dell E4310 Latitude Windows 7 Pro . Started a day ago during windows updates

Updates to Proset wireless software and drivers failed 15.15.01

Intel Chipset Device software also failed 9.1.1.1022

Wireless modem does not even open . Working off hardwire connection

A

st4
New Contributor III

Hi Fbell50,

Thank you for the post. I will forward your concern to the wireless support group for them to better assist.

rgds,

wb

CSwee
Beginner

I Am having the exact same issue with a Thinkpad 410S. Looking forward to a solution ... My laptop is essentially unusable without Wifi.

AFyna
Beginner

Hi

Having what I think is same issue on a Dell E4310 Latitude Windows 7 Pro . Started a day ago during windows updates

Updates to Proset wireless software and drivers failed 15.15.01

Intel Chipset Device software also failed 9.1.1.1022

Wireless modem does not even open . Working off hardwire connection

A

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

If this was caused by Windows Updates, you might want to disable Automatic Updates. Also, you might be able to undo the changes if your system had a previously saved restore point.

Another option is to do a clean installation of the wireless driver. Please follow these steps to remove any previously installed drivers before installing the recommended version.

1- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm PC manufacturer support to download and save their recommended version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. As second option, you can download the generic driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center.

2- Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", *If it is installed.

3- In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 and Uninstall it, make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver was detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well.

5- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6- Install the Intel® Wireless driver downloaded before. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

FBell1
Novice

That worked for me. I repeatedly uninstalled using the delete driver software option, rebooted, and then finally installed the latest using the Intel Driver Update Utility. Wireless access restored.

I've now got two "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapters" showing in the device manager, but I'm guessing that will not cause a problem.

Thanks.

Frank

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

We are glad to know the recommendations helped you resolve this issue.

We would like to inform that this situation has been notified to the proper resources, however, other users experiencing this condition can apply the previous actions to resolve it.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

FBell1
Novice

That worked for me. I repeatedly uninstalled using the delete driver software option, rebooted, and then finally installed the latest using the Intel Driver Update Utility. Wireless access restored.

I've now got two "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapters" showing in the device manager, but I'm guessing that will not cause a problem.

Thanks.

Frank

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

We are glad to know the recommendations helped you resolve this issue.

We would like to inform that this situation has been notified to the proper resources, however, other users experiencing this condition can apply the previous actions to resolve it.

0 Kudos