Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Dual Band 7260 AC WIRELESS MODULE MIRACAST CONNECTION ISSUE @5725MHz-5825MHz band

MKris8
Beginner

@

I am trying to connect to a miracast display device (Sony MP-CL1A wireless projector) from lenovo laptop, OS:Windows 10 Pro (updated with latest updates from Microsoft),

Intel Dual Band 7260AC wireless module (with latest updated driver from Intel).

The sony MP-CL1A miracast projector switches into 5GHz (suppot only the band between 5725MHz - 5825MHz) Band when its bluetooth is connected to an audio device,

then Intel 7260 Module need to operate in frequency between 5725MHz to 5825 MHz band (for ex: channel 149) to support successful screen sharing function.

But, In this case, miracast connection is not successful and getting an error message " connection failed: your device (Intel's 720ac) doest not support frequencies 5725MHz - 5825MHz".

in other case (Projector's Bluetooth is swicthed off), both Miracast source (Intel 7260AC) and Miracast display device (Sony Projector) operates in 2.4 GHz band without

Sony projector's bluetooth connection, found no issue, miracast connection was successful and projector is projecting laptop's screen.

in another case, miracast conection is successful between Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android OS)and Sony's MP-CL1A projector @ 5GHz (Frequencies between 5725-5825 MHz) band with

Projector's Bluetooth connection with another audio system.

My understanding is there might be an issue with Intel 7260AC wireless module in the required frequency range 5725MHz - 5825 MHz (5GHz band).

Need help in fixing this issue @5GHz band. Does Intel dual band 7260AC module support frequencies 5725MHz - 5825MHz i.e, channels 144 to 165 for successful connection?

Additional info: The region is USA and I found these wireless channels are allowed as per local regulatory authorities.

Thanks,

Murali
0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MMG,

We understand that you're able to share your display using Miracast*, but only through the 2.4 GHz band. You would like to know if the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is capable of supporting channels 144 to 165.

In order to better assist you, we would like some more information:

- Are you using Bluetooth* to share the Miracast* audio from the projector to your Bluetooth* speakers, or to share your computer's audio with the projector?

- Could you please run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility while connected to your wireless network, and share the full report with us?

Attachments are enabled by using our advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MKris8
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the response.

Please find the attached SSU logs while connecting with miracast projector in the both cases 2.4GHZ and 5GHz.

log files attached here are "SSU log with 2.4 GHz Miracast connection.txt" and "SSU log with 5.4 GHz Miracast connection.txt"

I am using Bluetooth* to share the Miracast device audio from the projector to my Bluetooth* speakers. I am not connecting anything to my computers audio.

As I mentioned earlier, when I try to use miracast projector's Bluetooth to connect projector's audio with external Bluetooth speakers, the miracast projector will switch to 5GHz band and ready for connection with computer at any frequency between 5725MHz - 5825MHz. in this 5GHz band, miracast connection is failing and I am getting a error message that miracast source device (computer) does not support the frequencies 5725MHz - 5825MHz.

Important:

Sony MP-CL1A Miracast projector operates in

A) 2.4Ghz band when its Bluetooth is turned off

B) 5GHz (ready to connect any frequency between 5725MHz - 5825MHz) when its (Projector's) Bluetooth is connected to a external Bluetooth speakers.

Connection with above Case A is passing. but, Connection with Case B is unsuccessful with a message "Source device(computer) does not support frequencies 5725MHz - 5825MHz)

Another observation:

1. In 2.4GHz mode, I could see Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter # 4 is created with a name "DIRECT-XXXXXXX-XXXXX" in network connections window.

2. In 5GHz mode, I could not find anything like that in network connection window

Thanks,

MMG

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MMG,

This is an interesting behavior. While we can confirm that our wireless adapter is capable of making use of these frequencies, which leaves us with two posibilites:

1. Available channels have been limited by your computer manufacturer.

2. OS or driver limitations prevent your computer from sharing your screen in the 5GHz frequency.

I am currently investigating this second point. However, you may also want to engage your computer manufacturer with this question.

In the mean time, we can suggest testing a clean installation of your wireless drivers. If you're currently using the generic driver provided through our download center, you may test the system specific version provided by your computer manufacturer (or vice versa).

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

1. Download and save the latest Wireless Software and Drivers for your adapter.

1. OEM Version: http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-T440/20B7/downloads/DS112917 Intel® Wireless LAN (11abgn, 11bgn, 11ac) for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad* T440-20B7

2. Intel® Generic: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10*

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else and then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Install the wireless drivers package that was downloaded back in step one.

Please let us know if this makes a difference.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MKris8
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I have followed your instructions and done clean installation of drivers.

But, still seeing same issue with miracast connection at 5725MHz-5825MHz frequencies.

Importantly, I have noticed that for any miracast connection with any misacast display devices, Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter # 4 is created with a name "DIRECT-XXXXXXX-XXXXX" in network connections window for a successful connection as shown in attached image. but, when i am trying with 5GHz (5725MHz-5825MHz) band, this Wi-Fi direct virtual adapter with a name DIRECT-XXXXXXX-XXXXX is just creating and disappearing and connection is failing.

also I had a successful connection with samsung galaxy mobile and MI mobile at these frequencies.

Best Regards,

Murali

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MMG,

This second virtual adapter that you're seeing is perfectly normal. This is created by the OS to share your display via Wi-Fi Direct using Miracast*.

While we perform a bit of research, could you please let us know the following:

1. What is the distance between your computer and the projector? Is it a straight line, or are there any obstructions?

2. If you disconnect from your Wi-Fi before sharing your screen (while BT is on), are you still unable to connect?

3. What is the brand and model of your projector?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MKris8
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

Please see my reply below.

1. What is the distance between your computer and the projector? Is it a straight line, or are there any obstructions?

Murali: Both are very closed (less than 1 meter). no obstructions and in straight line.

2. If you disconnect from your Wi-Fi before sharing your screen (while BT is on), are you still unable to connect?

Murali: Yes, able to connect. every time, when I tried to connect the projector (through connect to wireless display option from laptop) after failed connection, the projector will prompt for "allow" or "declined" the connection from the computer. If I choose "allow" the projector try to connect for a bit of time and then it will display "connection failed. your source doesn't support the frequencies 5725MHz- 5825MHz" and then will again show "ready for connection between frequencies 5725MhZ - 5825MHz" and able to connect for next time.

I have tried with another HP Laptop with Intel Dual Band 7265 wireless module. having same issue and same error message from projector. also tried with another lenovo model with Intel dual band 7260. got the same issue and same error message from projector.

3. What is the brand and model of your projector?

Brand: Sony Model:MP-CL1A laser projector.

Interface Specifications:

HDMI™ Connection(s): HDMI 1.4b/MHL 2.2 (HDCP 1.4), Screen mirroring (Miracast®), Wi-Fi standards supported IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz/5 GHz)

Regards,

Murali

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MMG,

Thank you for this information.

Looking into the way that Miracast* is implemented in Windows*, we've found the reason behind your issues (this is different on Android* and Mac* devices).

As it turns out, Miracast* on Windows* does not allow screen sharing over the 5GHz band. Based on this, we can recommend leaving Bluetooth* off on your projector, and if needed, using the Bluetooth* module on your Intel® Wireless Adapter to connect to the speakers directly, if necessary.

- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-networking/how-miracast-communicates-over-wifi-networks/c4e106dc-7e9f-4f5c-9976-433e76eafc55 How Miracast* Communicates Over Wifi Networks - Microsoft* Forum Article.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Since this is a limitation placed by Microsoft*, not us nor your computer manufacturer, we do not have a way to override it.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MKris8
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

I have complete understanding how miracast works before reaching you on this issue to get resolution from Intel.

2.4 Ghz band is required for connection negotiation but not compulsory for actual connection between source and miracast display/projector for screen mirroring.

Miracast display/projector initially negotiate for connection over 2.4Ghz and then it will connect on 5GHZ band to display the content (screen) from source for better quality of display.

because of this reason, we should not disable 2.4 GHZ band in source device(laptop).

if you disable 2.4GHz band at source you cannot even detect (Find) the Miracast display (device name) in your laptop. that means you must have 2.4GHz band enabled for pairing. Once pairing happens, it can connect to screen mirroring on 5 GHz Band, if 5GHz Band is chosen in miracast display/projector for better quality of display.

In this particular case of Sony's device, the projector switches into 5GHz Mode to accommodate its Bluetooth connectivity.to external speakers.

If you look at other miracast devices I have like EZcast 4K and EZcast 5G, all these devices are running miracast at 5GHz Band for miracast connection (with same principle stated above, 2.4Ghz for connection negotiation and pairing) from same laptops. only the difference is channel numbers used for connectivity. All these devices are using channels 36,40,44 and 48 at 5GHz band.

Please find the attached link for specifications. https://www.iezvu.com/ezcast_4k.php?lang=en EZCast-Happy Casting

Best Regards,

Murali

0 Kudos
MKris8
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

FYI Please...

I have worked as Engineering Manager in Intel and handled a part of IP design group at Intel and lead Display CoE group and handled so many Intel's key customer issues apart from IP design and validation. I have sound knowledge how things works at .......

Best Regards,

Murali

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Murali,

I understand. While we don't normally provide support for Miracast*, your question does seem well within our support scope. Please bear with us while we reach out to our additional resources in regards to this matter.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Murali,

We were able to confirm that the frequency bands described (5725 MHz-5825 MHz) are supported and should work.

The problem may be due to the fact that in this setup your projector is acting as the GO (Group Owner). On normal consumer implementations, the computer is the GO, and as such, decides which channels to use. We tried to acquire a similar projector to reproduce the problem, but were unable to do so within an acceptable timeline.

Since we no longer provide support for Miracast*, our best recommendation at this time will be to engage Microsoft* for continued assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos