Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7425 Discussions

Intel Dual Band AC 7260 Constantly Disconnects / Dies

jki1
Beginner

Pretty much having the identical problem outlined here: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490S66SAE/intel-dual-band-ac-7260-continually-losing-network-connection

When I'm at one of my offices, my computer constantly disconnects from the network every 15 minutes or so. I'm doing work, then suddenly everything freezes and I get dropped from the network. If I try to reconnect and check for available networks, it will say there are no available networks found. The only way to regain internet is to turn off Wi-Fi, disable the network adapter, re-enable it, then turn the WiFi back on to search for my network and re-connect. However, this needs to be done every 15-30 minutes. This issue has been persisting for a few months now, but the odd thing is that this issue only happens at this particular office where we use the Xfinity XB6 Gateway Modem/Router. We recently disabled the wireless capabilities from the XB6 and have instead paired with the Google WiFi mesh network, but the problem still persists.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jki1
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

3000023041391.5670583605566194E12, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For some reason, I am not able to see the information provided in the file, in order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Was it working fine before?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

We recommend to install the Intel® Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

Since the computer is using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, we can try a clean installation of the Intel® Wireless driver:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

The latest Intel® Generic Wireless driver version available is 18.33.17.1, please test that driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28621/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-7260-Family?product=75439

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

3000023041391.5670583605566194E12, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

3000023041391.5670583605566194E12, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
jki1
Beginner

Hi @AlbertR_Intel​ No, none of the above worked and I'm not sure why you are unable to access the files. I can try uploading them again separately, but I had zipped them at an earlier request. Also, the files will be 3 months old as I am no longer able to generate a wlan report from cmd prompt for some reason.

0 Kudos
jki1
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
jki1
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
User1578223853515383

Got the info from this forum:

The problem is the newer Intel drivers, as many have pointed out.

Now to those remaining, take the steps that intel techs pointed out months ago, which involves:

* removing all intel network software from your 'add/remove applications"

* rolling back your driver version. This is done by going uninstall driver in device manager and choosing 'also remove software' tick box.

* Rescan again so it shows again, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat, till you get sick of repeating!

* Use CCleaner and clean your registry of any shit leftover, use windows disk cleanup etc. (good practise)

* Rescan till nothing shows, restart, repeat.. (now they didn't tell you about this repeating! hehe)

* Most of those who are onto it, won't have to repeat so much, but if you have been stuffing around trying to fix this, then there is a lot of rubbish to clean.

* Reboot

* It will reinstall it, check the version, is it the MS version? We are looking for version: 17.15.0.5 or simular 17x version.

Now you check your wifi, and it should be mint.

Now to stop Windows Update reinstalling the shitest driver from intel again, you can google this:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drivers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ806NZ806&oq=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drive&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10325j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

To anyone still having disconnect issues with the ac-7260 module, please try falling back on the driver version. Doing so has worked for many, including myself.

You can get drivers from Microsoft (Update catalog) here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=ac-7260 Try drivers prior to 18.33.x.x.

If it works for you, please leave a comment here so others will know.

0 Kudos
jki1
Beginner

Unfortunately, that hasn't worked for me either and I still disconnect every few minutes. This is getting so frustrating.

0 Kudos