Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7425 Discussions

Intel Dual Band AC 7260 Continually losing network connection

KLuke
Novice

I've been having this issue for multiple months now. I would be on my computer browsing the internet or playing a game, when randomly my mouse would freeze for a bit and then my internet would stop working. When i click the network icon in the task bars, it would only show the network i'm connected to and no other networks would be available (not even my other band on my router). If i disconnect from that network and try to re-connect, it would say that there is no network found. After months of messing around with it, I found that I can get my internet up the fastest by turning off my Wi-fi, uninstalling the driver in device manager, and then scanning for hardware changes.

Checking Event viewer when the issue occurs, i see this NDIS 10400 message:

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized.

Followed by a WLAN-AutoConfig 10002 message:

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\IWMSSvc.dll

This issue occurs daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I've tried updating the drivers, installing different drivers, turning off the power management settings, but have not found a permanent solution. If you have any advice, it would be much appreciated.

12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello noex1337,

We understand you're having connectivity issues on your new computer using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

In order to better assist you, we would like the following information:

1. Intel® System Support Utility report

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

2. Wireless Autoconfig report

1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\

4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

3. Wireless router brand and model.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KLuke
Novice

Hi Carlos,

I have a NETGEAR N750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNDR4300). The files are attached

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello noex1337,

Thank you for these reports.

We can see that you have the latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software installed, however, it seems you don't have the matching driver in place.

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 20.30.1 installs driver version 18.33.11.2 for your adapter. Currently, you're using driver version 17.15.0.5.

Unless you're using the inbox driver (generic version provided with your operating system) for a specific reason, we can suggest reinstalling your Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and drivers using our clean installation method:

1. Download and save the latest drivers for your wireless adapter.

1. Bluetooth®: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27493?v=t Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10

2. WiFi: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27475?v=t Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10

2. Uninstall your wireless software: under Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Install the Bluetooth® driver followed by the wireless driver downloaded back in step one.

Test your connection, if the issue continues, please upload an updated Intel® SSU report.

Another factor to consider is that your router won't allow your adapter to function at it's best, as it uses the legacy Wireless-N (802.11n, published in 2007) standard. This limits the maximum connection rate of your adapter to only 300 Mbps, while a Wireless-AC (802.11ac) capable router will bump this number up to 867 Mbps. Wireless-AC is less susceptible to interference and among other advantages, it offers a more stable connection. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.html More information.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KLuke
Novice

Hi Carlos,

I have WiFi_20.30.1_Driver64_Win10 downloaded on my computer and have installed the driver multiple times, but it does not resolve the issue. In fact the reason why it's not currently installed is because i need to uninstall my drivers every time my network disconnects in order to get my connection back. That's why i'm using the generic driver at the moment.

Additionally, i know it's not a problem with my router, because i've had my router for years yet this problem only started occurring 4 months ago (and only on one device).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello noex1337,

Your router was worth mentioning because if your connection rate is low, you're more likely to lose connectivity. But if the issue started a a few months ago when no other changes where made to the system, this is probably not a mayor factor.

In some cases, disabling the 802.11ac option on your adapter can help increase compatibility with legacy networks:

1. Device Manager > Network Adapters > Double click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 > Advanced tab

1. HT Mode: set to HT Mode (VHT enables Wireless-AC)

2. Roaming Aggressiveness: Set to 1. Lowest

However, keep in mind that the behavior you're experiencing is not normal. Losing connectivity should not cause your system to hang. This could indicate a hardware issue, or an OS corruption causing the problem.

If this is an option you're willing to consider, we recommend reinstalling your operating system. Using the built-in recovery options make this very simple:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows® 10 - by Windows® Support (Expand "Reset your PC")

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows*. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KLuke
Novice

I already tried resetting my PC, probably about 3 weeks ago. Is there a way i can verify whether it's a hardware issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello noex1337,

You've already tried most of the software/OS sided troubleshooting: using the inbox driver, our latest generic version, reinstalling your OS.

Have you also tried the latest driver from your computer manufacturer?

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JT/HelpDesk_Download/ ASUS ROG G751JT* Downloads

If you're comfortable enough, some people suggest running a Linux* Live CD to see if the issue also happens in a different OS. But at this point we can recommend engaging your computer manufacturer for hardware support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SLiu59
Novice

Hi,

I have met with the same problem. It brothers me soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!

As noex1337 said, I have also tried all:

-reinstall Win10 (takes me hours to reinstall everything on a PC I've used for 3 years!)

-reinstall every possible version of drives for wireless from every possible place like Intel.com/ROG.com/Intel drive assistance/also 3rd party software.

The same disconnection problems just come and come and come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've search the Internet all days for it. I even think that it's hardware problem and I was planning to buy a new one until I see this question!

There are people suffering from this as I do. And we all use ASUS ROG G751VY.

So it's not a personal problem or a hardware problem. It's the drives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just come up with something that can fix this problem.

If nothing can do anything, just tell me which Wifi unit should I buy?

I will replace the stupid Intel DB AC 7260 with a normally funtional one!

Sorry about my anger. It bothers me for more than 1 month. Hope you understand.

I just need a quick solutions.

Give me a drives which will work,

or

suggest a new Wifi Unit for me.

Thanks!

idata
Employee

Hello SuiLiu,

We can see that you have already performed most of the troubleshooting available for this issue. We can definitely understand how frustrating this can be.

Have you also tried uninstalling the drivers and allowing Windows* to install it's generic version? Other users report this is the best workaround currently available as https://ark.intel.com/products/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260 this adapter has been discontinued.

1. Uninstall your wireless software: under Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

2. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

3. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

4. Reboot your computer.

As far as replacement options go, we're unable to provide recommendations for several reasons. Our recommendation is to always rely on your computer manufacturer for hardware validation, and purchase the replacement part from them directly if at all possible.

The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 was originally manufacturer in two form factors: PCIe* Half Mini Card (HMC) and M.2. From our end, this was the last adapter available in HMC form factor, newer adapters are M.2 only. We recommend checking with your OEM to confirm that your replacement adapter will fit your wireless port.

There are also regulatory issues that prevent us from making recommendations:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
SLiu59
Novice

Hi,

Thanks for your replay and suggest.

But,

It doesn't work. I've tried step by step as you said while after one day, disconnection occurs again and again. I'm a little desperate.

Anyway I will try 9260. This will be my last hope if you don't have any more suggestion.

Can you again give me some hope?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SuiLiu,

If your new adapter doesn't work correctly with your system, we can suggest using an USB WiFi dongle, these are very small and are usually much simpler than a hardware upgrade.

At this point we have no more suggestions to provide.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SLiu59
Novice

Here's just some follow-ups.

After unconnecting problems happens again and agian, I give up update driver for 7260. I bought a USB wifi and a 9260(which is not recommended by supporter).

I used USB wifi for a while. It was working cool. Only problem was that, I bend it sometimes unconciously while moving the laptop. So I made my mind to change the inside-build wifi module to 9260. Unassemble work wasn't easy, do it with tutorial on youtube.

I've used it for several days without any problem. But who knows the future. If it fails, I will post again.