Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless 8265 experiencing slow network speeds

SGree19
Beginner

I'm not able to get a speedtest result over 20-25 mpbs. It seems that I'm only connecting via 802.11a. I've got a 1 Gbps connection into my home. My Surface Pro connects via 802.11ac to my router and routinely gets 300+ mpbs, so it's not a router issue. My wife's laptop also has a dual band 8265 and has the same issue, so it's not specific to my laptop. Attached SSU.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

With everyone cowering in their homes, the Internet is seeing much larger loads than ever and saturation is occurring. You may not have a problem in your laptops at all.

...S

0 Kudos
SGree19
Beginner

Definitely not the internet as a whole. I can consistently get 175mbps or greater on all devices in my home that aren't running the 8265 wireless card. Both devices running this card won't connect properly to the ac band, thus limiting the speed due to running over 802.11a protocol.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, then you get to join the cast of dozens who are reporting similar issues (sigh!).

Intel Customer Support will need to look into your issue (along with all the others). Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and save the report to a file. Then, using the paperclip icon below the edit window, upload and attach this file to a response post.

...S

0 Kudos
SGree19
Beginner

The report was already attached to the original question when I submitted.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello SGree19

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

When did the issue start?

What changes were made on the system?

Are you using the same tool to evaluate the network speed on all the devices?

What troubleshooting has been performed on the system?

Have you tried restating the systems on the environment (laptops, router)?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SGree19
Beginner

It's a brand new laptop, the issue has been persistent since I first booted.

There have been no changes on the system.

Speedtest.net is used across devices to evaluate network speed.

I have changed wireless adapter settings to the recommended settings, but there has been no performance increase.

I have restarted all involved systems.

This issue seems to be widespread across multitudes of users with the 8265 card. This seems to be indicative of a larger problem with this card in general.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello SGree19

1.    I would like to confirm that you are referring to the recommended setting on the recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

2.    What is the brand and model of the router used on the environment?

3.    Can you try advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings to change the setting of:

a.    802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode (test the three options)

b.    Channel width or 802.11n channel width(band 2.4/5GHz) in here test available on the adapter. 

4.    Do you have access to the router settings is it possible that you can share a picture of the settings(you can eliminate personal information). 

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SGree19
Beginner
  1. Yes, settings are set to recommended per that link.
  2. Netgear Nighthawk r6700v3
  3. a. Wireless mode is set to 802.11ac

b. Channel width for 5GHz set to Auto

4. It's not the router settings, otherwise I would not be able to connect via 802.11ac on other devices. Only devices running the Dual Band 8265 card are experiencing this issue.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello SGree19

• You have mentioned that other users are having similar behavior, are you referring to the other surface pro on the environment? or different users? If yes, can you share the reference link?
  • Is it possible for you to try a wired connection in the surface pro? if you don't have RJ45 port on it you can try a USB to RJ45 (if available)
  • would it be possible for you to set the router (ISP) to 5GHz static and set it up to 161 channel to test the connection performance?  

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SGree19
Beginner
  1. No, the Surface Pro has a Marvell AVASTAR wireless network controller, and connects to 802.11ac with no issues. The other user also has the Intel Dual Band Wireless 8265 and will not connect to 802.11ac, only 802.11a
  2. Not sure what this would accomplish.
  3. Changed to channel 161 and still will not connect to 802.11ac
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello SGree19

With all the troubleshooting that you have performed and testing that has done, this points to a problem with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) customizations or a hardware issue, in both cases, the best approach is contacting Microsoft®.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos