Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 disconnects and blue screens

mchen69
Beginner

Hello,

I have been having issues with my laptop's wireless card (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165) running on Windows 10 build 10586, 64-bit. These issues seem to occur at random and result in my wireless connection being "disabled" in Windows or a blue screen of death. If I restart my computer immediately when the wireless connection fails, the card works like normal. If I try to enable my wireless connection, nothing happens - if I reboot then, the system will attempt to shut down and "hang" at the "Restarting..." part.

I have already done the following:

• In Device Manager, under the card's Power Management tab, I have unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
  • In Power Options, for all power schemes, I have set the Wireless Adapter Power Saving to "Maximum Performance" for both battery power and when plugged in.

The card's settings in the Advanced tab are unchanged from the default, as far as I know. U-APSD is already disabled (I have heard that disabling it might fix the problem).

I have experienced blue screens of death 3 times due to netwtw02.sys (the Intel driver), the most recent of which occurred today. The WinDbg output for these BSODs are attached.

The last blue screen occurred when I set the "Wireless Adapter Power Saving" for the Balanced and Power Saver schemes to enable Medium and Maximum Power Saving, respectively, and occurred while I was playing a game with Chrome in the background.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

mchen9940,

If this wireless adapter is the one that came installed by factory, we recommend that you contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites in order to obtain the latest driver from them. If you notice that after using their drivers the issue still persists, as a second option, you can use our latest generic drivers. For your convenience, here is the link to the drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25798/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 version 18.33.0 - file name: Wireless_18.33.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe

0 Kudos
mchen69
Beginner

Hello,

I've installed the 18.33.0.1 drivers from the Intel web site, and so far haven't seen any problems - though I also had to set the power options back to "Maximum Performance" for Wireless Adapter Power Saving for all power schemes. (I switched the power options temporarily to "Medium Power Saving" for the Balanced power scheme and "Maximum Power Saving" for the Power saver scheme as they were the original power settings before these issues arose.)

After reading some related threads about Intel wireless adapters (especially the AC 3165/7265) experiencing blue screens of death on Windows 10, I'm also wondering about some of the known issues with these adapters. Are there known issues with these wireless adapters and Windows 10 power management?

I've also noticed event ID 7001/7002 from Netwtw02 multiple times, even prior to updating these drivers. I'm not sure if this is related, but after looking on some related threads, I am wondering if this is also a known issue with the driver?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

mchen9940,

There could be a variety of reasons as to why such issue occurs. However, the latest version: 18.33.0.1 brought a lot of fixes in its package. Let us know if you notice any issue related to reported issue.

0 Kudos
mchen69
Beginner

Just experienced a random disconnect; the wireless connection appears as "limited connectivity" (yellow exclamation mark), but no other wireless networks are detected (I live in an apartment building with at least 10-15 other networks). The wireless adapter appears "disabled" in network settings. This is with the latest driver (18.33.0.1) from the Intel website.

I tried to enable the adapter - but the connection remains "disabled." I restarted my computer, and it "hanged" on the "Restarting..." animation, so I manually forced it to power off.

Looking through the Event Viewer logs leading up to forcing the shutdown, there are several events from Netwtw02, along with NDIS events where the network driver requests a reset:

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 2 time(s) since it was last initialized.

I've pasted the text from the Netwtw02 events below.

The description for Event ID 5007 from source Netwtw02 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP2

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

The description for Event ID 5032 from source Netwtw02 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

\Device\NDMP2

The description for Event ID 5010 from source Netwtw02 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

\Device\NDMP2

My OEM (Dell) just released their version of the 18.33.0.1 driver - let me see if that fixes anything.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

mchen9944,

Please try their version. Let us know the results.

0 Kudos
mchen69
Beginner

OEM version of 18.33.0.1 lasted for a week without issues, and then started experiencing similar BSODs as before (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in Netwtw02.sys). This has happened twice: the first time while watching a YouTube video and the second time doing regular Internet browsing. The second time, I noticed that the web site I was trying to access was failing to load, and then the blue screen occurred about 10 seconds after.

Unfortunately, it looks like I can't attach anything to a reply, but I can send the output of the most recent crash dumps if need be.

I also have installed 18.40.0.9 from the Intel website, and will see if the issue is fixed.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

mchen9940,

Ok. let us know if it worked for you.

0 Kudos
RKuru2
Beginner

Hey!

I have the same type of WLAN card in a new Dell Inspiron 7559 and I've been experiencing this annoying disconnecting issue quite randomly for a few weeks now... after rebooting the laptop the wifi disconnects for a couple of more times, but then it seems to work fine. I have clean installed Windows 10, then updated all the drivers from the Dell Support website, so I now have the latest 18.33.0.1 version OEM driver.

Did you manage to fix it? How the generic 18.40.0.9 driver worked out for you?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos