Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 go too slow.

MFigu2
Beginner

Hi, I bought a brand new Dell inspiron 15 7000 and it comes with de Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, since I started used I noticed that it goes too slow in Internet so I updated the controller and all the hardware of the laptop in order to get better performace but nothing works. Other problem is that I can not connect to a VPN using the wireless connection but the Ethernet goes nice.

Please help me.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
MFigu2
Beginner

Hi, I followed your instructions and nothing happened, so I tried something else, I installed a linux portable distribution and run speedtest.net test in order to discard some software problem and I found that with Linux distribution I get the desired speed... So I think tha the problem is Windows... what do you think? And what can I do?

This is with Linux:

In windows, I get this results: =(

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mifisa,

That's a big difference. There are a few reasons why this could be happening:

1. Windows® 10 is accompanied by a native antivirus software. The automatic update process involved for both the AV and the OS itself takes up quite some bandwidth while ongoing. This is not needed in Linux*.

2. Along with the OS and the Antivirus, there are usually more background processes running in the background in Windows* than in Linux* builds. It's possible that some of these are also stealing away your bandwidth. Browsers, productivity software (such as MS Office®), others, could be updating automatically.

3. Browser add-ons such as pop-up and ad-blockers could be slowing down your connection since they filter all content being downloaded. Although less likely in a brand new system, you may also need to consider a malicious infection (adware/malware/etc).

Again, your adapter is already receiving the expected connection rate for Wireless-N networks, and this connection rate is high enough that you should be able to reach your expected download speeds even accounting for the standard network overhead.

To troubleshoot, you may take a look at your Resource Monitor > Network to see what is taking up your network resources, although this may not be as simple as uninstalling everything high on that list, some of those may be necessary.

Another thing you could try would be to reinstall your operating system. Thankfully Windows® 10 makes this very simple with the "Reset" option:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows® 10 > "Reset your PC."

Otherwise you may need to engage your computer manufacturer for assistance since it's a new system.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LGasp
Beginner

Good day,

I have a Dell 5567 notebook, it has an Intel AC3165 Wi-Fi board. Internet download speed does not reach 4Mb. At home I have another old HP notebook, which I usually download at a speed of 25Mb. Obviously, the two connected through Wi-Fi.

I have tried everything to correct the problem without finding success. I have contacted Dell technical support, which gave me remote assistance, installed and uninstalled the drivers, without success of having found the solution. I have changed the configuration of the Wi-Fi board, having gone through all the possible configurations, and always obtaining the same results.

What version of Windows do you have? In my opinion the problem started after a Windows update.

Could someone solve it? In what way?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lucianogaspari,

We understand you're experiencing severe performance issues on your system using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 1x1 adapter.

In order to better assist you we would like the following:

1. What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

2. Intel® System Support Utility Report:

1. Download the latest Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293

2. While connected to your wireless network, scan "everything."

3. Save and attach the report to your reply.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LGasp
Beginner

Hello Carlos, thanks for your help once again I still can not solve my problem.

Answering your questions:

My router is a CISCO DPC3825

I attach the requested report.

I await answers! Thank you very much
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lucianogaspari,

Thanks for the report.

We noticed a few details. To begin, you're using an older driver. Updating to the latest release may provide some improvement:

- WiFi: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27475 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10, Version: 20.30.1 (installs driver version 19.51.11.2)

- Bluetooth®: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27493 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10, Version: 20.30.0 (Installs driver version 20.30.0.3)

However, the main problem may be caused by the combination of your wireless adapter being a 1x1 (one antenna supporting one data stream) model, and your router using the legacy Wireless-N (2007) standard.

1x1 adapter + 802.11n 2.4 GHz network = 72.2 Mbps

1x1 adapter + 802.11n 5 GHz network = 150 Mbps

1x1 adapter + 802.11ac 2.4 GHz network = 210 Mbps

1x1 adapter + 802.11ac 5 GHz network = 433 Mbps

Now, the numbers above are the maximum connection rates. These are the speed at which your router and adapter are communicating, these will always be greater than your download speeds, as download speed is just a part of the equation, and do not account for network overhead and environmental factors. Your download speeds are usually 30 to 50% lower than your connection rate, more so in legacy networks.

It's also worth mentioning that 802.11n networks are more susceptible to interference, specially so when paired with the 2.4 GHz frequency. The 2.4 GHz frequency has a limited number of channels, and only 3 non-overlapping channels.

More information on this:

- https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/pdf/next-gen-80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.pdf Next-Gen 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Starting on page 8.

If updating to the latest drivers does not have the desired effect, our next best recommendation will be to upgrade to a Wireless-AC (802.11ac) capable wireless router, this will result in the most marked improvement.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LGasp
Beginner

Good morning Carlos,

First of all, I thank you again for your intention to help me find a solution. After a few difficult days, I could take some time to continue testing for a solution to this problem.

As you recommended it to me, I updated the Wireless driver, I send you the new report attached. I want to tell you that in my house I have two Notebooks, an old HP (Year 2008) and a new Dell notebook (Year 2018). I also send you the report of the HP Notebook.

With my HP notebook (Windows 10) through a Wi-Fi connection it reaches download speeds of 20Mbps (Attached photo), after updating the drivers of the Dell notebook (Windows 10) continuous without exceeding the 4Mbps download speed (Attached photo). I started Ubuntu with a pen drive on the Dell laptop, with which I got 20Mbps downloads (Attached photo).

After performing the test with Ubuntu as an operating system, I think that in principle we can rule out two possible causes of the problem, router and wireless card. Do you agree with my opinion?. Will it be the configuration problem of the wireless card in Windows 10?

Thanks once more.

Regards, Luciano.

Download speed with Dell (Windows 10):

Download speed with Dell (Ubuntu 17.10):

Download speed with HP (Windows10):

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lucianogaspari,

Thanks for the reports. We'll look into your systems and see what additional suggestions can be made.

Best regards,

Carlos A
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lucianogaspari,

Looking at these reports, we can definitely understand why you're concerned that your HP* laptop, being much older, can get better download speeds than your newer Dell* system.

However, it's important to note that the adapter in your HP* laptop is a 2x2 model. Meaning it can reach a maximum connection rate of 300 Mbps in 802.11n networks. Your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, on the other hand, is a 1x1 model. The maximum connection rate it's capable of in 802.11n networks is of only 150 Mbps. This is because the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 is intended to work in newer 802.11ac networks, where it's able to get the much higher speeds of 433 Mbps.

The reason why you're able to get better speeds in Linux* is probably because this OS is much lighter, and do not require an antivirus software to be constantly running in the background. Also, live boot drives are usually not configured to automatically download system updates in the background, which is one of the biggest overhead factors that will cause slow downs in Windows® 10.

In some cases, malicious or bloatware may be the cause of your performance issues. For this, reinstalling your operating system may help. The simplest way to do this is through the built-in Reset option:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows 10 - by Microsoft* Support (expand the "Reset your PC" heading).

Keep in mind that the numbers mentioned here are raw connection rates. Meaning the speed at which your adapter and router communicate. Download speed tests will be 40 to 60% lower, as these numbers don't account for all the factors such as network overhead, firewall/antivirus software, system updates, RF interference, etc.

In our experience, the best way to resolve the speed issues considering your current configuration, will be to upgrade to a Wireless-AC capable router.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LGasp
Beginner

Good morning Carlos,

Thank you very much for your help. After several weeks looking for a solution, I found it.

It's something I had planned to do and after your last response I confirmed it. I reinstalled Windows 10. I did not use the Reset PC option, I installed a Windows version from scratch, avoiding installing unnecessary add-ons.

After the installation of Windows 10, I downloaded and installed all the available updates (Version 1709), luckily the speed is maintained as in the other devices connected to the same router (20Mbps - Attached photo).

Best Regards,

Luciano.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Luciano,

We're glad to hear that your issue has been resolved and you're now able to get the download speeds decired.

If there is anything else we can help you with, just let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos