Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 go too slow.

MFigu2
Beginner

Hi, I bought a brand new Dell inspiron 15 7000 and it comes with de Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, since I started used I noticed that it goes too slow in Internet so I updated the controller and all the hardware of the laptop in order to get better performace but nothing works. Other problem is that I can not connect to a VPN using the wireless connection but the Ethernet goes nice.

Please help me.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mifisa,

We understand you're experiencing low download speeds while connected using your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

In order to better assist you, we would like the following information:

1. What is your expected download speed?
  2. What is the brand and model of your wireless router or access point?
  3. Please generate an Intel® System Support Utility.
    1. Download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.
    2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).
    3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mifisa,

We haven't heard back from you in a while, has your issue been resolved?

Please provide the SSU report as requested above in order to continue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MFigu2
Beginner

Hi, I send my laptop to Dell support service, they told me that they have to change the wifi module, so I am waiting to get back my laptop and test again if that solves the problem,

So I hope to have my computer back this week, I will test again and send you back the results or the information that you need.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mifisa,

Thanks for the update. If you require further assistance once you receive the computer back, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MFigu2
Beginner

Hi, I get my laptop back from service, they told me that they have to change the wifi module but I test y my home a office and did not notice any differences, the speed is too slow... please help me.

The answers of you questions:

1. What is your expected download speed? about 26 Mbps (I have other computer and my phone and the speedtest.net show me this speed.) but with this computer I only get about 3 Mbps
  2. What is the brand and model of your wireless router or access point? HUAWEI EchoLife HG8245H
  3. Please generate an Intel® System Support Utility.
    1. Download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.
    2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).
    3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

0 Kudos
MFigu2
Beginner

This is the report.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mifisa,

Would it be possible to generate a new SSU while you're connected to WiFi, and with your VPN disconnected/disabled?

In the one provided we were not able to see any connection information, which we will need in order to troubleshoot performance issues.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MFigu2
Beginner

No problem, there is the new report.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mifisa,

I'm not sure why, but this new report has no connection information just like the last.

Let's try something else:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.

2. At the command prompt, type: netsh wlan show interface

3. Please take a screenshot and share it with us.

In this output we should be able to see your current radio type, channel, receive and transmit rates, and signal strength:

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MFigu2
Beginner
0 Kudos
MFigu2
Beginner

And this is what I get with de SSU:

"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165"

Access Point:"60:e3:27:7b:20:96"

Authentication:

Availability:"Running or Full Power"

- "Caption":"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165"

Link:" http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=Dual+Band+Wireless+AC+3165"

Channel:

Cipher:

CoInstallers:"Not Available"

Connection Mode:

Default IP Gateway:"192.168.200.1;fe80::1"

DHCP Enabled:"Yes"

DHCP Lease Expires:"01/03/1970 09:52 p. m."

DHCP Lease Obtained:"12/31/1969 09:52 p. m."

DHCP Server:"192.168.200.1"

Driver:"Netwtw04.sys"

Driver Date:"10/25/2017 12:00 a. m."

Driver Path:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Netwtw04.sys"

Driver Provider:"Intel"

Driver Version:"19.51.8.2"

Index:"0001"

INF:"oem63.inf"

INF Section:"Install_MPCIEX_DELLM2_3165_AC_HMC_WINT_64_AC"

Install Date:"Not Available"

Installed:"Yes"

IP Address:"192.168.200.18;fe80::9112:64cb:f99c:9ebb"

IP Subnet:"255.255.255.0;64"

Last Error Code:"Not Available"

Last Error Code Description:"Not Available"

Last Reset:"12/15/2017 08:26 a. m."

MAC Address:"34:F6:4B:F3:6A:F1"

Manufacturer:"Intel Corporation"

Media Type:

Net Connection ID:"Wi-Fi"

NetCfgInstanceId:"{110CF9EA-C33D-43CE-B91C-901ABB31F6BA}"

Network Name:"OlivoMike"

Network Type:

Number of VLANs:"0"

PNP Device ID:"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3165&SUBSYS_44108086&REV_79\4&D2449FF&0&00E5"

Port:"Not Available"

Power Management (Low Power):"Not Available"

Power Management (Wake On LAN):"Not Available"

Power Management (Wake on Magic Packet):"Not Available"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"No"

Product Type:"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165"

Profile:

Radio Type:

Receive Rate:

Service Name:"Netwtw04"

Signal Strength:

State:

Team Name:"Not in a team"

Temperature:

Transmit Rate:

Type:"Ethernet 802.3"

- "Service Bindings"

Cliente para redes Microsoft:

Controlador de E/S del asignador de detección de topologías de nivel de vínculo:

Controlador de protocolo LLDP de Microsoft:

DNE LightWeight Filter:

Programador de paquetes QoS:

Protocolo de Internet versión 4 (TCP/IPv4):

Protocolo de Internet versión 6 (TCP/IPv6):

Respondedor de detección de topologías de nivel de vínculo:

Uso compartido de archivos e impresoras para redes Microsoft:

- "Settings"

*DeviceSleepOnDisconnect:Suspensión al desconectar WoWLAN:"Desactivado (0)"

*PacketCoalescing:Fusión de paquetes:"Activado (1)"

*PMARPOffload:Descarga ARP para WoWLAN:"Activado (1)"

*PMNSOffload:Descarga NS para WoWLAN:"Activado (1)"

*PMWiFiRekeyOffload:Regeneración de clave GTK para WoWLAN:"Activado (1)"

*WakeOnMagicPacket:Magic Packet de reactivación:"Activado (1)"

*WakeOnPattern:Coincidencia de patrones de reactivación:"Activado (1)"

ChannelWidth24:Ancho de canal 802.11n para 2,4 GHz:"Automático (1)"

ChannelWidth52:Ancho de canal 802.11n para 5,2 GHz:"Automático (1)"

CtsToItself:Protección de modo mixto:"RTS/CTS activado (0)"

FatChannelIntolerant:No compatible con canal de 40 MHz:"Desactivado (0)"

IbssTxPower:Potencia de transmisión:"5. Máximo (100)"

IEEE11nMode:Modo HT:"Modo VHT (2)"

MIMOPowerSaveMode:Modo de ahorro de energía MIMO:"SMPS automático (0)"

RoamAggressiveness:Agresividad de itinerancia:"3. Mediano (2)"

RoamingPreferredBandType:Banda preferida:"1. Sin preferencias (0)"

ThroughputBoosterEnabled:Impulsar la capacidad de proceso:"Desactivado (0)"

uAPSDSupport:Soporte de U-APSD:"Desactivado (0)"

WirelessMode:Modo inalámbrico:"6. 802.11a/b/g (34)"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mifisa,

Thank you for running this command. We were now able to extract the following information:

1. You're connected to a legacy 802.11n network.

2. Your computer is communicating with your router at 150 Mbps (connection rate).

3. You're using the 2.4 GHz band, on channel 11.

The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 uses a 1x1 antenna configuration. For this antenna configuration, the maximum connection rate achievable in Wireless-N networks is 150 Mbps, which is what you're currently receiving.

Meaning that your adapter is performing optimally, and the reason for your slow download speeds (aka throughput) must lay somewhere else. Your current connection rate, minus environmental factors (such as: network overhead, user congestion, distance, obstacles (such as walls), interference, etc) should result a maximum expected download speed ranging from ~13 Mbps on a very congested network, going up to ~75 Mbps.

For a marked improvement, we recommend upgrading to an 802.11ac capable router. We can also recommend making the following adjustments to your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html advanced wireless adapter settings:

1. 802.11n channel width for band 2.4: 20 MHz Only.

2. Roaming aggressiveness: 1. Lowest

If this does not help, you may need to adjust your wireless router's settings for Quality of Service (QoS), WMM, or priority access list, depending on your router's vendor. You could also test your computer on a different network to see if there is a difference.

For more detail on the factors that affect performance when your adapter is connecting at full capacity, you may find the following article interesting: https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2014/06/throughput-stupid/

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MFigu2
Beginner

I think theres is something else because I have other old laptop computer in the same room and my phone that download at 26 Mbps when my new computer with the wireless-AC 3165 only download at 3.8 Mbps... I feel that it is a software problem... how can I validate this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mifisa,

I would recommend testing your computer by connecting to a different network. You could also reset your router back to factory settings, reconfigure your network and connect this PC first, so that it may receive high priority by default.

If this was an issue with the adapter or it's drivers, then the connection rate achieved would be low. Right now you're getting the best possible connection speed for 802.11n networks with this adapter.

In Windows® 10, networking is handled primarily by the operating system. But you could test by installing a much older driver. You could also uninstall the drivers altogether and let the OS install it's generic inbox driver. If the performance remains similar throughout this, then it's not a driver issue.

1. Download and save both our latest, and oldest drivers available for your adapter in Windows® 10

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26148 Version 19.10.1

2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309 Version 20.10.2

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel or Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and uninstall it. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait) and press OK.

5. Install the older Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software downloaded back in step one.

6. Reboot your computer.

If your performance does not improve, repeat steps 2, 3, and 4. Then reboot. Windows* should automatically install their generic driver.

If the throughput is not affected by your driver changes, our recommendation will be to install the latest driver again, and begin to troubleshoot your router next. It is possible for one device in a network to receive a lower priority while others are able to access the full bandwidth.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LGasp
Beginner

mifisa

Hi Mifisa

Have you solved the problem of speed?

Regards, Luciano.

0 Kudos
wgibs
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same laptop as this person and am having the exact same issue.

I'm on a plan of 45 Mbps download and only receive 4.5 Mbps when using the wifi connection whether the laptop is positioned away or right next to the router. When I connect via ethernet I am able to receive at 45 Mbps. My housemate has a different laptop and is able to receive at the full 45 Mbps via wifi connection.

Attached is the screen capture for output from the command prompt.

Would be grateful if you could offer some advice on how to fix this.

0 Kudos
wgibs
Beginner

Never mind, I noticed that a lot of people have been complaining about this issue in other threads for their Dell laptops. By uninstalling the Smartbyte software, the problem is immediately resolved. My download speed went from 4.5 Mbps up to my Plan limit of 45 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz connection.

0 Kudos
dguer2
Beginner

Hello,

I registered and made an account specifically to thank wgibs. I've been scratching my head for the last couple of days with the exact same issue. I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 7559 with a Wireless-AC 3165 card. My connection is 15Mbps yet my computer speed tests would hover around 4-4.5Mbps. I ruled out signal strength since I was standing next to my router, the connection was 802.11ac. I ruled out the router because the tests on wifi from my PS4 and phone would show 11-12Mbps. Yet if I ran the test while using a wired connection the speed would be fine. So today I took my computer to work and what do you know, same issue, download speed was around 4Mbps but this time the upload speed was 30-40Mbps, which didn't make sense. I went with the normal troubleshooting reinstalling drivers, trying different or older versions etc.

Got home and as I kept researching and troubleshooting ran across this post and uninstalled the Smartbyte software and BAM!, the connection was working properly immediately. I don't even know what this program does or why it's here since I had never seen, it was probably bundled with the computer but never even saw a shortcut for it.

tl;dr: Uninstall the Smartbyte by Rivet software as suggested.

0 Kudos
wgibs
Beginner

Thanks mate, happy that my post was able to help somebody out.

0 Kudos
OZv
Beginner

Hello!

I have a problem. I bought new loptop with intel AC3165 deal band wireless.

Today i changed internet provider and got new speed of internet 300mbps. When im using cable speed is awesome, speedtest.net showing 300mbps. When im connecting via wifi my speed is only ~70 mbps (download and upload).

Im using cisco linksys ea6300 ac1200. Max speed of this router on ac channel is 847. My mobile phone getting 150 wifi speed. So how i can solve thia problem and get faster internet when im using wifi?

0 Kudos