Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 showing 86Mbps At 80% Signal With 150Mbps Internet? Help Please

TDanc1
Beginner

2020-02-07 (1).jpgHi, I have a NUC5PPYH with the above network card. It is showing 86Mbps with 80% signal on the 5GHz network for some reason. Is it normal for speeds to drop that much with 80% signal? My phone right beside the NUC gets 170Mbps on speedtest.net but the NUC gets around 70Mbps. I thought maybe my encryption was set to TKIP or I wasn't using the 802.11ac but as you can see in the attached image, I am using AC and cipher is ccmp. Can someone please help? I would like to get this working so I don't have to buy a USB adapter.. Thank you!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
TDanc1
Beginner

Hi Scott, am pretty sure it's 19. something. I will try doing a clean install of your newer version and report back. Thank you for helping.

0 Kudos
TDanc1
Beginner

I just did a clean install of 21.40.2 drivers(the latest for win8.1) and I am seeing the exact same thing. Speedtest give me around 55Mbps, and netsh wlan show interface shows the exact same as the attached image in the intial post. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will. Perhaps Intel Customer Support has some insights?

...S

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TDanc1,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

• To better assist you, pleas generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach it to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

• When did the unit start experiencing this behavior?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
TDanc1
Beginner

Hi Wanner G, thanks for the reply. Please see attached scan. For some reason with the latest drivermy card only sees the 2.4GHz network and not the 5. I had this problemn before and I think if I revert back to the older driver it will see the 5 again. So, the attached scan wll show connected teh 2.4 network. If you need me to use teh old driver and get back onto the 5Ghz I will, or if you know maybe why I can't see teh 5Ghz network let me know! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

Try these settings

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Also, some devices may have a higher power gain that can affect other devices in the network, if you test the NUC in the network by disconnecting ALL other devices, do you have the same outcome?

0 Kudos
TDanc1
Beginner

Hi Ghost, thanks for the reply. My settings all match the recommended you linked to. The only other wifi device within 30' of the NUC is a harmony hub that only has a 2.4Ghz radio. I suppose I could unplug that but in the end, that is needed more than the NUC's NIC. I have a USB AC1300 adapter coming but if we get this AC3165 workign I can send the USWB one back for a refund. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TDanc1,

Thank you for your response.

In this scenario, we recommend that you perform a clean installation of the wireless and Bluetooth driver available for the Intel® NUC, which were customized for the unit.

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific drivers for the Intel® NUC.

• Intel® Wireless Technology-Based Driver for Windows 8.1* for Intel® NUC Version: 20.0.2
  • Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Driver for Windows 8.1* 64-bit for Intel® NUC Version: 19.71.0

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the drivers you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

We also recommend that update the BIOS of your unit. The latest BIOS version is 0078.

F7 BIOS Flash Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TDanc1,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
TDanc1
Beginner

Hi Wanner, I did a clean install of the newest driver like you said but the NIC no longer sees the 5GHz network. I haven't had the chance to upgrade the firmware yet as I need a USB keyboard. I only have a Bluetooth keyboard here. Any advice on why it only sees the 2.4GHz network?​

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

In Device Manager, Newtwork adapters, Wireless advance settings, is it set to "No Preference (default)" or "Prefer to 5GHz band" ?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TDanc1,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your question about 2.4 GHz band, we suggest that you go to the Advanced Wi-Fi adapter settings and check if the Wireless Mode or HT Mode is set to 802.11ac.

1. Select Charms > Settings > PC Info (or you can also right-click Start icon in the bottom left corner.)
  2. Click Device Manager (located in the top left of screen).
  3. Click the > sign to expand the Network adapters entry.
  4. Right-click the wireless adapter and click Properties.
  5. Click the Advanced tab to configure the advanced settings.

• In this scenario, it is recommended to have the unit up to date since outdated firmware may be causing system conflict when installing newer drivers.
  • What is the model number of your AP/router? Is it running the latest firmware version?
  • After updating the BIOS, please run the Intel® SSU tool and attach a new report.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Gh0stb1t,

The default option is "No Preference". This can be modified based on your needs and environment.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TDanc1,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TDanc1,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos