Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 Terrible Performance

BDye0
Beginner

I recently bought a CyberPowerPC that came with a Gigabyte B450M DS3H WiFi motherboard. The on-board wifi is the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168.

My router is a Netgear R6250, dual band 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. I can connect to either 2.4 or 5.0 and have inexcusably slow speeds, 2.4 is even worse.

I have had nothing but troubles with this wifi. Every device on my network runs perfectly. My iMac is directly next to the tower with the 3168 and has no speed issues whatsoever on the same network. All devices on SpeedTest run about 200-240 mbps within about 1-2 seconds of the test starting. On the PC, if im lucky enough to even get to that speed around 200 mbps, it takes the length of the entire test before it even reaches that. It will slowly rise from 1-2-3-5-8-10-15 mbps etc.

This is especially frustrating because this PC is solely for gaming, which is no problem on my network for anything else. Even browsing the web is noticeably slow loading on this PC.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello BDye0,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated. 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Questions:

• What is the expected speed?
  • Was it working better before?
  • What is the speed that you get when the system is wired connected?

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Gokulvikas
Beginner

Hi Adrian,

I am encountering a similar issue wherein all my devices, including my mobile phone, desktop computer with motherboard-integrated Wi-Fi, and tablet, are connected to the same SSID .

However, there is a significant disparity in the Wi-Fi receiving performance. Specifically, the Wi-Fi connection on my desktop computer's motherboard is receiving a mere 60-70 Mbps, while my mobile phone and other devices in the same location are consistently achieving speeds of approximately 400 Mbps.

I am seeking your assistance in analyzing and resolving this issue, with the ultimate goal of improving the Wi-Fi receiving signal strength on my desktop computer to match the capacity observed on other devices.

Your guidance and expertise in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello BDye0,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello BDye0,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
PiotrW
Novice

Actually I found the solution... and it's nothing what "Intel" guys tell here in this forum.

Simply, in network card config, make sure that mode fot 802.11n/ac is set to 802.11ac, BUT for 802.11a/b/g set to "5G 802.11a".
Yes, you will not use 2.4G so also not sure if wireless screen projection would be possible - if you're using it.

It simply solved all my issues and transfer speeds.. I had 40Mbps DL and 90Mbps UL, now I have 300-320 Mbps DL and same values for UL.

Cosper
Beginner

This is the solution!!!!!!

This fixed my problem that I have been hunting for, reinstalling, updating....tried it all.  Why this isn't adjustable in the basic windows settings is beyond frustrating . 

Thank you PiotrW! 

This fixed my problem. 

0 Kudos
JKoy
Beginner

I have the same issue!!!

Expected download is 200Mbps

Actual download is 600Mbps

The scan results are attached.

Please HELP!!!! This is ridiculous

0 Kudos
JKoy