Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7260 crashes every 10 minutes

TWarn1
Beginner

I am able to connect to all of the networks I have tried, but the wifi crashes after ten minutes of connection. I am unable to see any networks during the crash and the cycle repeats. Right before a crash, the audio on my computer pauses. It is not a problem with the router, as two other devices are able to connect to it without any interruption. I have updated drivers, my computer, blocked the firewall, disabled antivirus, and have disallowed my computer to restart the device for power saving. I have also reset the device completely and have power cycled my computer. Nothing I have done has changed anything. I have attached my system support utility file below.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello aspirateur,

We understand you're experiencing adapter reset issues causing your wireless connection to drop every ten minutes. We'll be more than glad to help you troubleshoot this issue.

The first thing we noticed is that you're running the latest Windows® 10 update (aka Windows® 10 April 2018 Update, Version 1804/Build 17134). Did the problems start after you updated to this latest build, or were they present before?

We can also see that despite having the latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software package installed (version 20.50.0), your wireless driver is slightly outdated. Let's begin by updating your driver, but let's switch to a driver only through a clean installation:

1. Download and extract the latest IT Admin drivers for your adapter (don't run any of the executables included): Look for https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27751 WiFi_20.50.0_Driver64_Win10.zip
  2. Remove your wireless software:
    1. Right click on your start menu icon, select Apps & Features from the top of the jump list.
    2. Look for any instance of the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and uninstall. Select the option to discard settings.
    3. If prompted choose to restart later.
  3. Manually uninstall your driver software:
    1. Right click on your start menu icon, select Device Manager from the jump list.
    2. Expand your Network Adapters, right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, select Uninstall.
    3. Confirm device uninstall, make sure to tick the option to "delete the driver software for this device."
  4. Clear your temporary files:
    1. On your keyboard, press the Windows* Key (flag) + "R" to open the Run Dialog.
    2. Enter: cleanmgr.exe and press OK
    3. Under "Files to delete," make sure there is a tick mark next to Temporary Files, all others are not needed.
    4. Press OK and wait for the operation to complete
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Manually install the updated drivers:
    1. Right click on your start menu icon, select Device Manager from the jump list.
    2. Expand your Network Adapters, right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, select to "Update Driver Software..."
    3. Choose to "Browse my computer for driver software."
    4. Search for driver software in this location > Browse > Point the tool to the folder where you extracted the files downloaded in step one, for example: "C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Downloads\WiFi_20.50.0_Driver64_Win10"
  7. Test your connection, you will need to re-enter the passkey for your wireless network as if connecting for the first time.

If this does not help, please share the following:

1. A new SSU report created after updating to this latest driver.
  2. Your Wireless Autoconfig report
    1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
    2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport
    3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\
    4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello aspirateur,

We understand you're experiencing adapter reset issues causing your wireless connection to drop every ten minutes. We'll be more than glad to help you troubleshoot this issue.

The first thing we noticed is that you're running the latest Windows® 10 update (aka Windows® 10 April 2018 Update, Version 1804/Build 17134). Did the problems start after you updated to this latest build, or were they present before?

We can also see that despite having the latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software package installed (version 20.50.0), your wireless driver is slightly outdated. Let's begin by updating your driver, but let's switch to a driver only through a clean installation:

1. Download and extract the latest IT Admin drivers for your adapter (don't run any of the executables included): Look for https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27751 WiFi_20.50.0_Driver64_Win10.zip
  2. Remove your wireless software:
    1. Right click on your start menu icon, select Apps & Features from the top of the jump list.
    2. Look for any instance of the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and uninstall. Select the option to discard settings.
    3. If prompted choose to restart later.
  3. Manually uninstall your driver software:
    2. Expand your Network Adapters, right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, select Uninstall.
    3. Confirm device uninstall, make sure to tick the option to "delete the driver software for this device."
  4. Clear your temporary files:
    1. On your keyboard, press the Windows* Key (flag) + "R" to open the Run Dialog.
    2. Enter: cleanmgr.exe and press OK
    3. Under "Files to delete," make sure there is a tick mark next to Temporary Files, all others are not needed.
    4. Press OK and wait for the operation to complete
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Manually install the updated drivers:
    2. Expand your Network Adapters, right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, select to "Update Driver Software..."
    3. Choose to "Browse my computer for driver software."
    4. Search for driver software in this location > Browse > Point the tool to the folder where you extracted the files downloaded in step one, for example: "C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Downloads\WiFi_20.50.0_Driver64_Win10"
  7. Test your connection, you will need to re-enter the passkey for your wireless network as if connecting for the first time.

If this does not help, please share the following:

1. A new SSU report created after updating to this latest driver.
  2. Your Wireless Autoconfig report
    1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
    2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport
    3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\
    4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos