Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-7265 drops my wifi connection unless VHT mode is turned off

JSo1
Novice

I recently got a HP Envy laptop that came with the AC-7265 wireless adapter. Let me just say I have exchanged my laptop 4 different times and they all exhibit the same issue, so this is definitely not an isolated hardware issue. Laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (version 1703).

==========================================================================================================

Laptop is currently running the latest driver version from Windows.

4/12/2017

Two issues I have encountered with this driver (version 19.51.1.1).

1) During heavy wireless traffic, such as having multiple tabs of YouTube videos playing at the same time, the network driver would crash and the following errors logged in event viewer:

Error 6/18/2017 10:51:53 PM Netwtw04 5007 None

Error 6/18/2017 10:51:53 PM Netwtw04 5007 None

Error 6/17/2017 9:32:24 PM Netwtw04 5007 None

Error 6/17/2017 9:32:24 PM Netwtw04 5007 None

Error 6/11/2017 9:24:30 PM Netwtw04 5007 None

The details of the errors are as follow:

5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)

When that occurs, every single device on my network would drop off for about 30 seconds. That issue goes away when I disable WMM on my router (but that causes other performance issue so I need it enabled).

2) The second issue is it would cause my laptop to completely freeze up every other day, and requires a forced shutdown by holding down the power button. Here are the event logs when that occurs.

Critical 6/18/2017 9:20:30 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Critical 6/16/2017 12:21:03 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Critical 6/15/2017 12:12:48 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Critical 6/14/2017 9:09:19 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Critical 6/11/2017 5:35:06 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

The only workaround for the above issues is to changed HT Mode from "VHT Mode" to "HT Mode". But that also limits my connection speed to 300Mbps (instead of the 866Mbps I can have with VHT Mode).

=================================================================================================================

So the next thing I did was downgrade the driver version back to the original version that came with the laptop:

7/14/2016

With this version, the 1st issue goes away (dropping my network during heavy traffic) but the 2nd issue remains (lockup issues). Again, if I change the HT Mode from "VHT Mode" to "HT Mode", the issue goes away.

=================================================================================================================

I have spent a lot of time testing the different versions of drivers under different scenarios to arrive to the above findings. Something definitely changed between version 19.1.0.4 and 19.51.1.1 that cause the wireless adapter to crash under heavy traffic and cause the 5007 - TX/CMD timeout error. And the VHT Mode, when enabled, causes my laptop to freeze in both versions mentioned above. The workaround for both versions is to downgrade to HT Mode, which is something I don't want to do as it lowers my connection speed.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I have already exchanged the laptop 4 times at Best Buy and the same issue remained, so it's definitely not a hardware issue, but a driver issue.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello FixMyProblem,

We understand your system is having connectivity issues, and also, it is freezing when VHT mode is enabled. Here are some initial recommendations for your consideration:

- As first option, obtain the latest driver available from the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support. Also, check with them for BIOS updates.

- Make sure your Windows* OS has any applicable updates.

- If the issue persists, try using our generic driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26782/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=83635 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10* [19.60.0].

- It is also recommended to make sure the Firmware of your Wireless Access Point is up to date.

If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool with the connection working fine and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

- Wireless access point model and firmware version.

- Did this ever happen before the OS was updated to the Creators update?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
JSo1
Novice

Hi Jonathan,

I attached the system report to my original post.

Everything on my computer and router is of the latest version. I do not know if it happened before the Creators update because I've been running that OS since I got the computer a few weeks ago. Both the OEM driver and the generic Intel driver you provided would freeze up my computer every day unless I turn off VHT mode. However, the OEM driver does work slightly better in that with VHT mode on, it would not drop my connection under heavy traffic.

As indicated in my original post, the generic Intel driver (19.51.1.1) has the issue of crashing under heavy network traffic and log error in event viewer. At the same time all devices on my network would be dropped for 30 seconds. It also locks up my computer every other day.

With the OEM driver (19.1.0.4), it's slightly better than the generic Intel driver in that it only locks up my computer but it doesn't crash my network under heavy load.

Both issues go away with both drivers when VHT mode is disabled (set to HT mode). My laptop hasn't locked up for almost 10 days now since I disabled VHT mode, whereas before it would lock up once a day. So I can very confidently say it was caused by the wireless driver.

Johnny

idata
Employee

Hello Johnny,

We will check further on this and review the information you provided so far.

Please let us know the model and firmware version of the access point, this will help us get a better understanding of the issue.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JSo1
Novice

Linksys EA6300

Firmware 1.1.40.176337

0 Kudos
WZhan24
Beginner

Have you try latest Windows update KB4022716?

• Addressed issue that lead to the loss of functionality on certain third-party network adapters after upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1703.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4022716/windows-10-update-kb4022716 https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4022716/windows-10-update-kb4022716

You can download update by click https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4022716 Microsoft Update Catalog

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Johnny,

Please apply the Windows* update recommended by StarFox81. Let us know if it helps, or if the issue persists after that.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JSo1
Novice

OK I just installed the update KB4022716 and rebooted my computer. I then turned VHT mode back on (still running the latest Intel version 19.51.1.1) and opened about 60 tabs of YouTube in multiple Chrome sessions just to max out my Internet. It started off fine and I thought the issue was fixed. But then after about 10 minutes every device dropped off my network for about 30 seconds (same symptoms as before). I know every device dropped off my network because I have 2 chromecast casting continuously and they would disconnect. I also have a few IP cameras being recorded continuously to a server and during the outage the clips are missing.

I then checked the event log and it logged the same error as before:

I do not know if this update addressed the lockup issue, however. I will need to a few days to know for sure.

0 Kudos
JSo1
Novice

The network card just crashed again while I was watching a YouTube video while not doing anything else. Same error in event viewer, dropped everything on my network. I'm going to disable VHT again since the issue is still not resolved.

Error 6/29/2017 1:28:21 PM Netwtw04 5007 None

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Johnny,

We are very interested in resolving this, in order to check further on this issue we will need some additional information.

Please check your private messages for further instructions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Johnny,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Has your issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AMart48
Beginner

Hi, I've been having the exact same issue, since upgrading to the latest update of Windows 10 (1703)

My intel card is Dual Band Wireless AC 7265.

I have a bluetooth mouse connected to the laptop as well, and suddenly wifi connection drops and bluetooth mouse stops responding (touchpad keeps working fine)

Usually this happens about 3 times per day but its very annoying, takes about 1 min to come back up.

My Windows 10 is up-to-date and has all the patches mentioned in this post.

Having a look at event log after this happens always generates these warning/errors in the order below:

-Warning: Bluetooth HID device either went out of range or became unresponsive. Source: HidBth

-Error: 5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged). Source: Netwtw04

-Error: 5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged). Source: Netwtw04

-Warning:

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 3 time(s) since it was last initialized. Source: NDIS

This is definitelly software related, since I spent 1 week using only my Ubuntu dual boot and problem didn't happen once, while it happens every day on Windows 10 (only after upgrade to 1703).

I was using driver Wireless_19.60.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe prior to writing this, and have just noticed there is a new version available (19.70.0).

I'm hoping this new version will solve my issue, will post back after a few days testing it out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello slaynn,

As you mentioned, checking for Windows* updates and updating the WiFi drivers are some of the main actions in this case. Additionally, we advise to perform a clean installation of the Bluetooth* driver with these steps:

1. Download and save the Bluetooth* driver obtained from your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, as second option you can use the generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26944/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10-?product=83635 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10* [19.71.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs, and uninstall the Intel® Wireless Bluetooth Software.

3. Check Device Manager - Bluetooth, if the Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® driver is installed, proceed to uninstall and delete it.

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older Bluetooth* driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. After the Bluetooth software is removed, you can install the driver you downloaded before.

Please let us know if the issue is resolved after these actions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
AMart48
Beginner

Hello,

After a few more days of testing, the problem still persists unfortunately.

I have installed the latest version of both the Wifi and Bluetooth drivers (Wireless_19.70.0_PROSet64_Win10 & BT_19.71.0_64_Win10), Windows 10 is still up-to-date.

To try and isolate the cause, i disabled Wifi for a few days and used wired ethernet with my bluetooth mouse, and the problem didn't happen even once after 3 days using this setup.

As soon as i went back to using wifi, the problem appeared again after few hours of usage, so i am almost positive its a wifi problem, and not hardware related since it also doesn't happen using Ubuntu as I stated in previous post.

I guess my last hope is to try the driver from my manufacturer website, however the last version released there for my laptop model is 18.12.1 from Feb. 2016. I will try anyways for a few days and report back if it worked.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
TGait
Beginner

Hello FixMyProblem,

I too own an HP Envy, m7-n109dx. I had similar problems until tonight. I downloaded file sp74466.exe, Intel Wireless LAN Driver and installed it.

I had trouble updating the driver since Microsoft thinks they are smarter than me. I had to select "Browse my computer for driver software" and then "Allow me to select from a list of available drivers on my computer". There were several to choose from so I started with the top of the list and the first one worked great. I now connect to my 5G network and I get full download speeds of 200+ mbps from Comcast internet provider.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NoNewbie,

Thanks for sharing your solution, we hope this helps other users as well. Using the driver provided by the computer manufacturer is always recommended, as the driver or software for your Intel component might have been changed or replaced by them.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
AMart48
Beginner

Hi again,

Unfortunately, I tested again today with my manufacturer driver and the problem happened again with only a few minutes of use, so, after all the tests I conducted, it seems to be a issue that was introduced with the Windows 10 Creators Update 1703.

What did seem to fix the issue, was disabling the WMM mode of my router, as the OP tried. In my case it seemed to fix all my problems, spent the whole day with the laptop without a single driver reset!

For now I can live with that. Disabling WMM didn't make my network noticeably slower or anything.

Will try again in the future with new driver releases and WMM enabled to see if it eventually gets fixed!

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello slaynn,

We are glad to know you found a viable workaround for your system.

As you mentioned, it is always good to keep an eye for updates: AP firwmare, Windows* updates, drivers from your OEM, or the generic ones from Intel® Download Center.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
DScha5
Beginner

Hi,

I wonder if Intel is working on this problem. I'm facing the exact same problem on an HP Spectre x360 Convertible. I do not think that turning WMM off on the access point is a viable solution. First of all I do not see not to be able to use WMM "just" because of one single laptop. Second I do not have control over any access point on earth except for my own one...

So, any news on this one? I tried a lot of drivers and right now I'm running version 19.51.2.4

Best,

dialsc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dialsc,

This issue has been reported and is being looked into. Please make sure you try the driver provided by HP for your wireless adapter as /message/491240# 491240 noted previously by NoNewbie.

If the issues persists, please let us know the following:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

- Access point model and firmware version.

- Please provide a description of the issue as it occurs in your PC.

- Was this adapter built from factory with your PC?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JSo1
Novice

I hate to re-open this issue, but this is really angering me. For the past week or so Windows has been updating my wireless driver to the latest version and now my machine keeps locking up again (it was OK for months), and I'm NOT able to install the old, stable version that I've used for months and have been proven stable.

I have the following version that I desperately try to re-install but it's not letting me. It's telling me installation blocked and that I already have the latest version driver.

Wireless_19.1.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe

7/14/2016

I do NOT want the latest version driver. I need to somehow install the older version.

Please let me know how I can unblock the installation and be able to install version 19.1.0.4 on my computer. I need that install on my PC otherwise my machine locks up every day. I also need to know how to disable Windows from updating my wireless driver again.

Thank you.

Johnny

0 Kudos