Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 fast roaming issue

VL2
Beginner

Hi,

I've observed an incompatibility issue for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 with Extreme Networks wireless access point. This only happens when both fast roaming (802.11R) and Protected Management Frames ( PMF) enabled on the wireless access point. Other wireless products e.g. Apple ipad and Samsung phones works fine with the same setup.

Wireless capture shows that when both 802.11r and PMF are enabled on WPA2 enterprise, Lenovo T450 running Windows 10 with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (driver ver 19.51.14.1) cannot associate. The wireless interface did finish authentication with the radius server successfully and continue with the 4-way handshake. However, in the second message of the 4-way handshake, the wireless client has inserted 2 bytes in the RSN IE shifting the location of the PMKID. The authenticator checks that the RSN IE in M2 is different from that in the association request and disassociate the client. This check has been done according to the ieee802.11i standard Section "4-Way Handshake Message 2" which states that

"...2) If the MIC is valid, the Authenticator checks that the RSN information element bit-wise

matches that from the (Re)Association Request message.

i) If these are not exactly the same, the Authenticator uses MLME-DEAUTHENTICATE.

request primitive to terminate the association."

Can someone look into this please.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

tomatocanada: We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

We will do further research on this matter, for us to be able to do that please provide the following details:

Computer manufacturer(s):

Computer model(s):

Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit):

WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.):

WiFi adapter model(s):

WiFi device driver version:

Number of systems affected:

Wireless security method

Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES):

802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP):

Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST):

WiFi network environment

Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version:

Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz):

802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)):

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz?

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz?

SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast):

Besides that, please provide the SSU report and attach it to the thread:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VL2
Beginner

systemConfig.txt - configuration that you asked for

IntelSupportUtilityOutput.txt - output from the intel scan utiltity

ipad-80be05984609.pcap - wireshark wireless capture of the ipad authentication which is working

intel-4c3488b13d3e.pcap - wireshark wireless capture of the intel wireless interface which failed

M2Screenshot.png - screenshot of the msg 2 of 4 way handshake extracted from intel-4c3488b13d3e.pcap. Showing the 2 bytes inserted in RSNIE shfited the PMKID count and PMKID. You can see that wireshark has trouble decoding.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

tomatocanada: Thank you very much for sharing information.

We will continue with our research, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos