Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7443 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 in Dual Band mode drops 5GHz soon after device restart

TipOfMyHat
Beginner

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to force my Wireless-AC 7265 in dual mode to reconnect to 5GHz band instead of settling for 2.4GHz after the first drop of 5GHz connection.

Specs: I am running my Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7265 in Dual Band 802.11/a/b/g mode. Preferred Band setting set to 5GHz. Driver: 19.51.31.1. OS: Windows 10 64 bit. Adapter: TP-Link Archer T5E.

Description: When I restart my device, it connects at 5GHz band. Soon after 5GHz band drops, connection becomes and stays at 2.4GHz. When setting my Wireless Mode to 802.11/a (5GHz only) I can see that the connection is somewhat unstable. Every 5 min or so the connection drops, then reconnection happens within a few seconds. On the other hand 2.4GHz only mode is very stable but significantly slower. I would like to have the best of both worlds: I would like to run in Dual Band mode, using 5GHz band as much as possible, enjoying the blessings of high throughput, whenever 5GHz band drops, use 2.4GHz band until 5GHz band reconnects. Is there a way to force 5GHz reconnection in dual mode instead of settling to 2.4GHz as soon as 5GHz drops?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello TipOfMyHat, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Unfortunately, there is no option to force the 5GHz reconnection from our side as this option is automatically chosen by the Operating System (OS) according to the Access Point's (AP) features. You may want to check with Microsoft to see if they have a way to change this behavior within the OS. 

Also, it seems you are using a TP-Link Archer T5Eadapter, which is a third-party product, you should check with the original manufacturer for additional help on this.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TipOfMyHat
Beginner

Thank you so much for your guidance Sebastian_M_Intel, I will continue my search in that direction

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello TipOfMyHat,  

You are welcome. 

We will close this inquiry from our side. If you have any additional questions, please submit a new thread and we will gladly assist you. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos