Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow downloads fast uploads

TMill15
Beginner

I haven't seen this questions asked elsewhere. My Intel AC 8260 wireless has suddenly dropped download speeds, from over 200Mbps last week to .62 Mbps this week. No software or hardware installations or other changes. My upload speeds remain the same, around 10 Mbps. I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit on a Yoga 900.

It gets stranger. I thought the problem might be in the AC8260 card, so I installed a USB wireless. Same problem. Upload speeds at 10 Mbps. Download speeds at around 1 Mbps.

All other devices in my house (laptops, desktops, iPhone) connect at close to 200 Mbps download, 10Mbps upload. Only the Yoga laptop has this problem.

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello txtianmiller,

Thanks for posting in our community. We understand you're experiencing slow wireless download speeds on your laptop.

It seems unlikely to be a driver related issue since the issue happens with both the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and the USB wireless dongle. Each devices uses different drivers.

It is possible an application or operating system service is blocking or consuming the bandwidth. However, we would to confirm your system and network specifications to confirm if there's anything we can do to improve the connection quality:

- Intel® System Support Utility report.

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan. Select to include "everything."

3. Name and save the report.

- Your WLAN Auto-Config log.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WlanReport\ locate wlan-report-latest.html

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello txtianmiller,

We haven't heard from you since the creation of the thread. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
EMarq1
Beginner

Hello,

I faced the similar issue on my brand new hp spectre laptop.

I did the wireless network report as you suggested and it shows that the main disconnect reason is "the network is disconnected by the driver".

Download throughput was doing well when I got the computer ie 30 Mbps and now I strive to go beyond 1 Mbps.

Any suggestion besides taking a look to the report ? Why would the driver disconnect from the network by itself ?

Thank you

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eiithel,

Thanks for posting.

The driver installation may be corrupted. We recommend performing a clean driver installation as instructed here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Please notice that the article mentions there are three different drivers you can test. The Intel generic driver, the driver provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and the inbox driver installed by Windows*. Please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
AM17
Beginner

Hi,

I have recently bought ASUS UX360C notebook which came with the same chip. No matter how many times I've tried to update the drivers, remove them completely, installed them back again, it just seems not to get enough signals.

My issue is not related with speed directly, but more with the receiving strength of signals. For instance, I live in a home with double story, my router is downstairs. Upstairs at my living room, I'm able to connect perfectly with my work laptop (Lenovo), my samsung A5 & my iPhone 6splus and they all work fine except this Asus one. I went amd bought an external wifiadapter from asus but still not a big difference.

Note: If i sit next to the wifi router it works like a charm.

Any suggestions? Shall i downgrade my OS from wim10 to Win 7? Or its just the wifi chip?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ahsanm: We will assist you with this scenario.

There is no need to do the downgrade to Windows® 7, actually according to ASUS's web site, the drivers that are available in there are for Windows ®10.

There are 2 different versions of the model of your notebook, one is UX360CA and the other one is UX360CAK and the drivers are different for each.

Please choose the correct model in the following link and install the wireless driver showing in the site:

https://www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-ZenBook-Flip-UX360CA/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-ZenBook-Flip-UX360CA/HelpDesk_Download/

Normally when there are different objects like a door or wall between the router and the computer the connection could get interrupted, the fact that the router is located downstairs and you are using the computer upstairs could result in the behavior.

Please provide the model of the wireless card:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005655/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005655/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

You mentioned you are using a wi-fi adapter, do you know the model of it?

If you are using that component, you can always access the BIOS and disable the Intel wireless card and test the connection, it could be crating some interference.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ahsanm,

Typically strength signal problems are related to antenna cut cable or not properly attached to the WIFI connector on the wireless card, a suggestion would be to check that in your laptop or refer to your OEM to make sure connectors and cables are assembled.

-Chris
0 Kudos
AM17
Beginner

Thank you Alberto for your detailed reply, I really appreciate that.

So here it goes what i have done after reading your suggestions:

- I have downloaded installed Intel`s Driver and Support application

- I let it scan the system for checking the required updates

- I found out, as you have mentioned the correct model of my ultra-book (UX360CAK)

- I have also found out that there were 2 devices which needed to get updates (Yes, Wifi & Bluetooth) so I downloaded both of them (WiFi update was about 133mb)

- I have Run and installed the recommended option via Intel`s Driver & Support Assistant online wizard

- Rebooted the machine

- Nothing changed!

I understand that in home environment there are loads of factors which may create the disturbance while receiving the WiFi signals as you have mentioned (Walls, Doors, Glass Windows etc.) but as I have mentioned previously that all the other devices with WiFi connectivity works fine except this one from the same location. So the question remains the same, is this chip less powerful than rest of the chips in other devices or its just drivers or OS bug? I am even ready to change it if that`s gonna work for me. I have a whole home office setup here already at 2nd floor where i had been working for years with other laptops, but since the timei have got this new one, it`s just a night mare. I would definitely prefer to add/upgrade the wireless adapter, rather than changing the location of my home office.

Oh, I totally forgot to mention, I am a 3rd Line IT System Engineer with full understanding of how WiFi Signals work. I would love to provide any other echnical info that you might need in order to suggest a workaround or solution in order to solve it (Any logs or reports if you need) .

P.S: I work from home and totally Love it Help Me!!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ahsanm: You are very welcome. We are currently working on this subject.

Please provide the following information so we can further assist you:

Computer manufacturer(s):

Computer model(s):

Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit):

WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.):

WiFi adapter model(s):

WiFi device driver version:

Number of systems affected:

Wireless security method

Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES):

802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP):

Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST):

WiFi network environment

Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version:

Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz):

802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)):

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz?

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz?

SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast):

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
AM17
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Sure, but do you think it would be wise to share such info on an open space like here?

If you can provide me with your official email, I'd be more than happy to send all these details

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ahsanm: I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ahsanm: I just wanted to check if you received the private message and if you need further assistance o this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JHurs3
Beginner

I am having the same problem with my Samsung NP740U5M-X01US using the AC 8260 wifi adapter. if i boot up the PC it has equal 80-90MBPS upload or download speeds but if i give it a minute or two the down load speed reduces to less that 1MBPS but the upload speeds stay high. I have tried the instruction above and still get the same results. anyone have a solution to this issue.

0 Kudos
Arcp
Beginner

I have the same problem and solved it by Uninstall the wifi device and clean installed new download (WiFi_21.120.2_Driver64_Win10) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-  with or without restart it work well  but next time I turn the pc on it go back to slow download fast upload again and again.  My package internet is 500/100  when slow was about 0.4 /70 but after reinstall driver it get up to 250/230. Can you help to keep it stay fast forever?

0 Kudos
Arcp
Beginner

Since I still can not fix it permanently as I have to uninstall device AC-8260 wifi in device manager every day that I start after shutdown at night.  I decided to reinstall windows 10 and let it update everything. The problem solved. The speed now is about 250-390/300-150 mbps.  My PC  MB GIGABYTE GA-F2A85XM-D3H ,APU AMD K8-5600, 8Gb Ram, that I assembled since 2013 and last year added wificard ASUS PCE-AC55BT Dual-Band Wireless-AC1200 Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-E Adapter. Windows 10. First six years I use ethernet but I have to move my pc around house so WIFI card is need.  Now I am satisfied with new installed Windows 10 and updated.

0 Kudos