Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 super slow speed

MCian
Beginner

Hello I have a Dell XPS 13 9850 that uses your intel Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260. i always had problem with a stable connection in general and I use to have always the latest update form your website (not from Dell). I have the latest release of December available but still one of the major problems is that i have a 400 MBit/s connection and the network card with the latest update can reach maximum 250 Mbit/s (before the update 170/200)

http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cb-News-400-MBit-s-Guenstiges-Highspeed-Internet-15308103.html

I have fritz!box 6490 that works perfectly fine with all my other computers at home with the connection set to a/b/g and not to n.

So why this wireless adapter is so bad?

how can i solve my problem?

the adapter with battery or plugged in is already set in the power section to have the maximum performances and not to save battery or eco or to go to sleep or something like that and has already all the right parameters configured as per your suggestions but it's one year that i have my computer for work, being at 3 cm from my router, with always the slowest connection ever not stable at all.

Could you please solve my problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello LaCianfry,

We understand you're not able to receive your expected download speed on your system using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260.

In order to help you troubleshoot this problem, we would like the following:

1. Please generate an Intel® System Support Utility report:
    1. Download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.
    2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).
    3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.
  2. How many devices (computer, phones, tablets, etc) are normally connected to your router via wireless?
  3. Is it possible to test your computer by connecting to a different wireless network, if so, do you receive the same slow performance?
  4. Was there ever a time when this computer was able to get the expected download speeds?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MCian
Beginner

here i attached my file.

yesterday before the update to the latest driver using only IPV4 I was able to reach 256 / 270 MBit/s the first and only time in my life - after the update of yesterda, the maximum reached was 80 MBit

My internet connection was always 400 MBit/s and the maximum i was able to reach was yesterday with 256/270.

1) Normally together if I use my laptop i do not use the other workstation. so only my laptop and my cellphone.

2)I have the problem with all the wi fi bigger than 200.

3)with my workstation using wi fi and/or cable I reach the maximum without any problem everyday.

4) Never this is why it is 100% fault of the network adapter. all the other network adapter I have on my personal laptop and workstation reached 400 (a clean business bandwidth) always. either with IPV4 only or IPV6.

regards,

Manuela

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LaCianfry,

Thank you for this report, and the information provided.

Looking at your connection details, we noticed the following:

- You're connected to the 2.4 GHz band, using 20 MHz channel width.

- You're connected to a legacy 802.11n network.

- Your connection rate is 144.4 Mbps (connection rate does not account for network overhead).

Based on the previous details, it's unlikely that you will be able to achieve speeds much higher than the 80 Mbps you're reporting. But based on your wireless router's specifications, you should be able to do much better.

What we can recommend for you is the following:

1. Confirm your router's settings so that your computer connects to 802.11ac not wireless-N, which is a 2007 legacy standard. This will make a big difference and allow you to get closer to your expected download speeds. Your current adapter settings already allow for this.

2. If your router broadcasts both wireless bands (2.4 and 5 GHz) under the same SSID (network name), change this so they are shown separately. The 2.4 GHz band is slightly more crowded, but it handles walls and obstacles better. The 5 GHz band has a shorter range, but less interference and wider channels (faster).

3. If your router allows it, enable 40 or 80 MHz channel width for the 5 GHz band. On the other hand, don't recommend anything higher than the standard 20 MHz channels for the 2.4 GHz band.

You can check if you're connected to 802.11ac or n, as well as your connection rate from command prompt:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.

2. At the command prompt, type: netsh wlan show interface

Example:

For more information on how connection rate translates to download speeds (throughput), you may read our blog post: https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2014/06/throughput-stupid/ It's the Throughput, Stupid! | Technology@Intel

These changes should greatly increase your connection rate, allowing for your expected download speeds. Let us know if this helps, or if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LaCianfry,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Did our suggestions help resolve your issue?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CRees2
Novice

I have the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 that I have been trying for a long time to get both stability and speed. This has worked for me.

My Wi-Fi Status Speed does vary. However, it went from really bad to horrible after the December update. After rolling back the driver and changing the "Advanced Settings" to those listed below, my speed is much closer to what it should be. I now average 650Mbps (390Mbps-780Mbps) on 5GHz and 300Mbps on 2.4GHz without the dropped connections or erratic speeds way below dial-up.

To view your connection details, open Command Prompt with admin privilege:

Win + X key, then "A". type "netsh wlan show wlanreport". Double tap or click on the completed report at the command prompt, then + "C", + "V" and "Enter". This will open the report in your web browser.

I have a TP-Link Dual Band 1750-AC Archer C7 V1 Wireless Router setup with one SSID that does automatically switch between 2.4 and 5GHz without dropping my connection. I have Windstream DSL up to 3Mbps in rural area. The ISP Sagemcom Wireless Router is set-up as a modem only (bridge mode). I have a Lenovo Yoga 900 with Windows 10 64-bit Home.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Properties:

Driver: 20.10.2.2

Driver Date: 11/2/17

Events:

netwtw4 and netwtw06 not installed (Status 0x0).

Advanced Settings:

802.11n for 2.4GHz: Auto

802.11n for 5.2GHz: Auto

HT Mode: VHT

Mixed Mode Protection: RTS/CTS Enabled

Preferred Band: No Preference

Roaming Aggressiveness: 5. Highest

Throughput Booster: Enabled

Transmit Power: 5. Highest

Wireless Mode: 6. 802.11a/b/g

I hope this will be helpful.

Cheryl