Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 - Slow network

WAlfa
Beginner

Hi,

I am having the same problem, my adapter 8265 is killing the WiFi, how do I know? Everytime I turn my computer on the speedtest of my cellphone, my wife's laptop or my own laptop drops from 15 MB to 1 or 2 MB/s, at the beginning the Internet company came and did all possible to find the problem, changed modems/routers and nothing seemed to change. As soon as I turn off my laptop, I get all good readings in speedtest.

Here is some information:

1.-My computer is Aus VivoBook S510 (bought it from Amazon last Sept. 2017)

2.- I downloaded the most recent firmware update to my adapter

3.- It didn't work, didn't change the condition of my WiFi connection

4.- Opened CMD and wrote netsh wlan show wlanreport, hit OK and got the error message:

Generating report ...

failed, error is 0x3A98

5.- I ran the latest SSU and attached the SSU report

I appreciate any help.

Willy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Willy,

Thanks for posting. Your reply was branched into a new thread since the issue description is quite different.

Please notice that your router is the one in charge of managing and dividing bandwidth among the connected clients. We recommend the following:

- Your current Windows 10* version is 1607 (Anniversary Update). Please https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027667/windows-update-windows-10 update to the latest version, 1709 (Fall Creators Update as of today). You might want to connect to a different network for this.

- Make sure your router firmware is up to date.

- Disable QoS (Quality of Service) and restriction lists from the router.

- Take note of your current settings, reset router to factory settings and rebuild.

Please let us know how it goes. If the issue persists, please provide your router brand and model.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
WAlfa
Beginner

Hi Eugenio,

I am sorry but I don't understand what is difference with the other thread, we have the same network adapter and our computers kill the WiFi.

Also, if I don't turn my computer on, and I test the internet speed in my cell phone, or my my wife's computer (win 10) I get my full width band, and as soon as I turn my computer on the WiFi goes down, eventhough the internet company verifies the full width band in the same time I am testing the speed.

I am not a person that updates my computer often, and want to know what is the problem if I only update my network adapter. The computer used to work well to a certain day some months ago and all this time I have been trying to find the problem, mainly believing it had to do with the Internet company.

Any other way to fix my WiFi performance?

Thanks,

Willy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello willyalfaro,

Thanks for your reply. The other thread is an user having download speed problems on a single system. In your case, it seems the router isn't balancing the bandwidth correctly.

It is important to keep the system up to date. Most updates are fixes and optimizations. There's also the possibility that the computer is consuming a lot of bandwidth while downloading the updates, since they're automatically downloaded on Windows 10*.

Other than that, please focus on checking your router as we recommended in the previous message.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
WAlfa
Beginner

Hi,

I did 2 things today, I updated my laptop and the technicians from the cable company came.

I attached the last report of the SSU for you to check.

The Modem and Router are up-to-date.

The problem persists.

If I only test my Internet on my cell phone connected to WiFi I get 15.12 download and 2.42 upload

If I turn on my laptop, the WiFi goes down, in my cell phone to 4.12 and in my laptop to 3.08, so clearly my laptop has a problem with the Network Adapter.

Any other tasks to try?

Thanks,

Willy

0 Kudos
ATell1
New Contributor I

If you didn't turn on QoS then it sounds like your router's WiFi chipset has an issue. What's the model? I have two laptops with the 8265ac and one with a 9260ac without issue, so I feel its probably something else at play.

Most consumer routers being low margin items, aren't always properly tested or updated (as in defective udates with borked WiFi/chipset firmware). This is from experience as a beta tester for multiple routers. Usually with routers older is better as bugs are fixed and any compatibility issues sorted out, however sometimes you may get regressions.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aivxtla,

Thanks for sharing your expertise on this area.

willyalfaro At this point, we recommend engaging your router manufacturer for further assistance.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
WAlfa
Beginner

Well, on previous tests, I did change my router but nothing changed.

My wife´s laptop and 2 cellphones, 1 tablet get great internet, but my computer does not.

Any other recommendations?

Thank you,

Willy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello willyalfaro,

Thanks for your reply. You may try the following:

- Test connecting to other networks and compare behaviors.

- You're currently connected to a 802.11n, 2.4 GHz network. Test changing settings on your router and connect to 802.11ac, 5GHz/2.4GHz instead.

- If issue persists, backup your data and reinstall the operating system from scratch.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos