Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual-band 7265 Cannot connect to 5Ghz

SChan129
Novice

So My laptop is ASUS ROG GL553VD, bought from my country, Indonesia.

I am now studying abroad in Japan, and the university has 5Ghz wireless band for the wifi.

But everytime I see the properties, my laptop always connects to 2.4Ghz bands, and it is very limited and slow.. Here is what I already tried

1. Download the latest intelwirelesspro driver AND bluetooth driver from intel
  2. Uninstalling the intelwirelesspro
  3. Uninstall wifi driver
  4. Uninstall bluetooth driver
  5. clean temporary files
  6. reboot computer
  7. and install the newest driver from step 1

I also have chose "Prefer 5Ghz band" in device manager of Intel 7265.

Please, I cannot understand why this happens. my friends' laptops are doing fine and can connect to the 5Ghz, and so does my smartphone.

I also attach the Intel Support System Utility report file for you to check.

Thank you

16 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. You should download your driver from vendor site rather than from Intel. In most cases the Intel drivers are customized by vendor : https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GL553VD/HelpDesk_Download/
  2. Please update your bios. Version 308 was released: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/GL553VD/GL553VDAS308.zip
  3. Your Bluetooth is not working? Before installing the Wireless Driver downloaded from Asus, install the Bluetooth driver.

Leon

0 Kudos
SChan129
Novice

Thanks for replying!

My bluetooth is working fine, it's just I saw from other posts that he reccomended to re-install the bluetooth driver as well.

So, at the time I submit that report, my bluetooth is doing fine.

I already upgraded my BIOS and install the intel 7265 driver, but it still will not detect 5Ghz....

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SChan129,

We recommend checking the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

Also, please let us know if the Intel® Wireless adapter came preinstalled on the computer. 

Have you tried testing your computer in other networks that support 5 GHz?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
SChan129
Novice

Thank you for your response,

I check the reccomended settings for 802.11ac connectivity, everything was already set like written on that link.

Yes it came preinstalled on the laptop computer.

I have not tried other 5Ghz network, however, I bought a 5Ghz dongle from different brand, for a work-around.

So now I have 2 wireless adapter, the Intel and the dongle.

When I am in my apartment, the dongle can detect various 5Ghz networks (maybe my neighbours') but my Intel built-in wireless adapter can only detect the 2G networks.

So even though I have not tried in other networks, I am sure that my computer cannot detect other 5Ghz networks.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SChan129,

Thank you for your response. 

Because your Intel® Wireless Adapter supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, this could be a software or hardware problem.

First, what is the latest OEM driver you are running?

Then, in case old drivers are causing system conflicts, perform a clean installation of the latest Wi-Fi and Blueooth drivers available at your PC manufacturer’s website.

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

If the issue persists, try these generic drivers for testing purposes following the steps recommended on the previous link. 

Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters - Version: 21.10.1 

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 - Version: 21.10.1

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
SChan129
Novice

Dear Wanner G,

Thank you for replying again

> What is OEM Driver?

> I think I already did try a clean installation of wireless drivers as I mentioned the steps that I already tried in the posting

> Where is the "generic drivers for testing purposes"?

But I will re-do the clean installation again, and will reply again to tell you the result tomorrow, when I am in campus.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SChan129,

Thank you for your response.

1. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver or the driver your computer manufacturer provides your system with.

2. Regarding the clean installation, we recommend checking if you followed all the steps available on that support link.

3 Generic drivers are drivers available at our Download Center, or the drivers I posted above.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
SChan129
Novice

Thank you! I am in campus and here is detailed step that I take, and you can tell me if I did something wrong.

> I went to asus website and downloaded wireless adapter driver, and bluetooth adapter

> I go to device manager, right click on intel 7265 and uninstall, making sure to check the "delete driver"

> I also uninstalled bluetooth driver

> restarted my computer, and when I see device manager, I think it auto-detects and installed the default drivers

> but as the steps in the link you provided says, I proceed to install the wi-fi driver smoothly

> then i click the bluetooth driver set-up but it says "your product does not support downgrading from version 21.10.1.1 to 20.10.0" then I close it.

> I check the network properties again, it still connects to 2.4Ghz.

> I go to device manager, right click on 7265 > properties > avanced, and changed preferred band to 5.2Ghz.

> check the network properties, still connects to 2.4Ghz

So I go back here to download the generic drivers through the link you provided, making sure I download the 64bit one because my system is 64bit.

> I download both Bluetooth and WiFi adapters

> I go to device manager and uninstall WiFi adapters again

> When I see bluetooth dropdown menu, it does not have driver now, instead, I only see names of bluetooth devices that paired with my laptop

> And I notice that under Network Adapters, now I have a new "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2". So I uninstall it

> Then I restart my computer

> And install both the generic bluetooth and intel WiFi drivers

> Check the network properties, still connects to 2.4Ghz

> Changed to preferred band 5.2Ghz

> Check the network properties, still connects to 2.4Ghz

Therefore I am now afraid if it is a hardware problem

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SChan129,

Thank you for the update. 

Do you recall connecting your computer to 5 GHz networks before?

Could you please attach a picture of the "properties" where you can see that the computer connects to 2.4 GHz only?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
SChan129
Novice

Hi Wanner,

I cannot remember as I never notice.. But I think I never connected to 5Ghz network before.

However I can see the options in device manager, doesn't it mean my laptop should be able to do so?

Here are the pictures, i am now at home so i can only detect others' 5ghz network through my 5ghz dongle of another brand..

You can see that finding wifi networks with intel adapter only finds 2G networks.. but when I switch to my dongle (WiFi 3) it shows 5G networks.

Also, I already set the device manager to prefer 5G, but as you can see in the "properties" it is now connected to 2.4GHz.

using wifi 5g dongle can detect.pngonly detects 2G network.pngdevice manager already set to prefer 5G.pngconnects to 2.4g.png

0 Kudos
raza_hady
Beginner

I am able to connect with 5Ghz network...just download the driver from below link and update your current 7265 driver with downloaded .inf file.

https://dl.driverpack.io/driverpacks/repack/WLAN-WiFi/Intel/FORCED/10x64/18.33.17.1_w8/Intel-FORCED-10x64-18.33.17.1_w8-drp.zip

This will work 100%.

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Please do yourself a favor and NOT use 3rd party driver sites. You never know what information from your machine they are uploading (and to what country it is going), and you never know what payload is in the packages they are downloading.

With Windows Update providing driver updates, and IDSA providing updates, that is all you need.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SChan129,

Thank you for attaching this information.

You are correct. You should be able to connect to 5 GHz networks since your Intel® Wireless Adapter supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

We will investigate this issue further and get back to you soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SChan129,

Based on the report attached and the information provided, your computer should be able to connect to 5 GHz networks. This problem is probably being caused by a faulty adapter.

If possible, you may try to reinstall the operating system or perform a system restore to check. 

If the problem persists, we recommend you to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) since this could be a hardware issue.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Kaiyi
Novice

Hi,I am facing the same issue.... Have you solved it?

Kenzo
Beginner

I'm having the exact same issue here, buy acer nitro 5 in indonesia, but cant detect 5G here in the Philippines. Have any body solve this issues, very frustrating.

0 Kudos