Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Intel Dual-band Wireless-AC 3168 connectivity problem

BDavi21
Beginner

Currently have a brand new PC, with a Intel Dual-band Wireless-AC 3168. Initially it could barely detect my router so i moved my Router from the basement to upstairs. The PC detects the router but the connection is very weak. My phone and other devices are connected to the router just fine. On all levels of the house. Restarted router, updated drivers,restarted the computer and the connection is still slow. HelP!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What PC? Provide manufacturer and model.

What operating system? Provide OS version and build.

Are you using any wireless devices, like mouse and keyboard?

Doc

0 Kudos
BDavi21
Beginner

My pc is a cyberpower game infinity 8000, with windows 10 home. I do not use a wireless mouse, keyboard or headset.

0 Kudos
Mowser
Beginner

Had same problem with same Intel wireless card built into CyberPowerPC desktop running current version of Windows 10 Home (22H2).

Installed newest Intel WiFi drivers, removed network adapter in Device Manager, etc. Disabled the built-in Intel WiFi adapter, plugged in external usb WiFi adapter from our raspberry pi print server. It connected just fine. Removed the external WiFi adapter, re-enabled built-in Intel adapter.

Went into device manager, right-click the Intel WiFi addd add per in Network devices, choose Properties. Go to Advanced tab.

I made the following two tweaks. One or the combination of both fixed it.

1.) Set 802.11 a/b/g wireless mode to 6. Dual band 802.11 a/b/g

2.) Set 802.11 n/ac wireless mode to 1. 5GHz 802.11a

Clicked OK and connects fine.

The actual settings you need to use may differ depending on your particular WiFi network.

I should point out that the wireless network I was connecting to only had a 5 GHz frequency.  Ie it did not have a 2.4 GHz alternate option.  Which implies that the WiFi driver could see the 5 GHz network but tried (and failed) to connect using 2.4 GHz.  When I tweaked the second setting, I explicitly told it to connect over 5 GHz and it worked.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

But, what version and build of Windows 10 home?

Doc

0 Kudos
BDavi21
Beginner

Version 1809 ( OS Build 17763.107)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Was the Wireless/Bluetooth software originally installed sometime before the upgrade to 1809? If, so, I suggest that you use the following procedure to refresh the software and driver stack:

1. Download the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers:
    1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28685/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=94854
    2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28687/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94854
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Programs and Features applet or from Apps & Features in Windows Settings, uninstall any instances of the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  4. In Device Manager > Network Adapters, right click on your Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."
  5. Clear out your temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool.
  6. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  7. Install the drivers downloaded in step one. Install Bluetooth first, followed by Wireless.
  8. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  9. Enable Internet access.
  10. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

BDavi21
Beginner

Did this but the connection is still weak. Every time I try to put the password in for the WiFi it says “cannot connect to this network” I’m currently using my personal hotspot from my phone to use my pc.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Right click on the WiFi icon and chose Troubleshoot problems.
  2. If after running Troubleshooter your WiFi is still weak, try to reset your IP configuration, executing the following commands from Administrator Command Prompt:
  3. Right click on the Start button.
  4. Choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
  5. Type into the command to clean the DNS and then hit the Enter key: ipconfig /flushdns
  6. Type the following command to reset the Winsock directory and hit Enter: netsh winsock reset catalog
  7. Type the command to reset the IP and hit Enter:  netsh int ip reset
  8. Test your WiFi

Leon

BDavi21
Beginner

This did not work either, so i ended up putting the router in the same room as my pc, full bars, but I still wonder why this happens when every other device is perfectly fine

0 Kudos
BDavi21
Beginner

Even if I have the router in the Same room the connection is still very weak, was strong at first and now it’s Just meh

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What kind of antenna do you have connected to the card?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello BDavi21, Were you able to check N.Scott.Pearson's post? Please provide us with the information so we can assist you further. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello BDavi21, Please contact us if you have any additional questions. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
jack2000
Beginner

i am having the exact same problem as this person and have tried everything people have suggested and it still is not working @David_V_Intel 

0 Kudos
iKvai
Beginner

I also encountered this problem, but it's my own fault, because initially it worked stably in a clean system, but I tried to "update" the drivers. Maybe I updated it incorrectly.
----
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 
stable: 22.150.1.1
id: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FB&REV_10
data: 21.06.2022

Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)
stable:20.100.10.10
id: USB\VID_8087&PID_0AA7&REV_0001
data: 29.11.2022

A group of AMD drivers in the system devices have also been updated, after a reboot it finally became stable to connect wifi

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

According to what I am reading, there are newer packages/drivers supporting the 3168 module:

• Bluetooth: Package 23.10.0, Driver 20.100.10.11, download here.
  • Wireless: Package 23.10.0, Driver 19.51.49.1, download here.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I recommend using a clean install. That is, with internet access disabled, uninstall previous drivers, reboot and install new drivers.

0 Kudos