Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel, PLEASE standardize driver and application version numbers and release dates!

DDary
Novice

I'm doing a periodic check for driver updates. Every time, the same issue drives me nuts, which is the lack of consistency in the way that Intel assigns version numbers to drivers which are used by the intel driver download website and the intel driver update utility. This applies to many, if not most, intel drivers.

For the record, my computer is an HP ZBook G2 laptop with Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (wifi and Bluetooth). I have discussed drivers with HP support and they have no problem with users downloading drivers from the Intel, rather than from the HP website or using the HP support assistant utility. A related issue is why the wifi and Bluetooth parts of this chipset are decoupled requiring separate drivers. If they are separate products, why not separate them in the software download center?

Here are some examples relating to the wifi and Bluetooth device.

First from the device manager:

Next from Programs and Features:

Note the inconsistency with the device manager.

Note the inconsistency with the device manager, and it even reports two different versions!!!!

Next from the Intel driver update utility:

The intel driver update utility can't even figure out what version the Bluetooth driver is! It thinks it's the same as the wifi!

Next from the file manager:

I hope this is enough evidence that this issue is real and needs to be fixed.

If that's not enough, the website reports newer driver versions for the wifi than the driver update utility:

The version recommended by the intel driver update utility isn't even shown on the driver download website! Why are these shown as applications when they are drivers?

Note also the application, version 3.1.1311, dated 2014. What is this item?

If I filter only drivers, the only items are drivers for the Bluetooth, none for wifi!!!!

When I see this sort of garbage from the Intel, I can't help but wonder how the company can claim to have anything remotely referred to as a software documentation and release methodology.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

You will get better response here:

Allan.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Thanks for the comment. I posted it in the general area because it doesn't only apply to drivers for wireless. I've seen the same thing for wired network drivers, graphics drivers and various chipset and other related drivers.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

darylm,

Thank you for your valuable observation. We have addressed it to the proper department for improvements. Please bear with us as we are working in order to make it better for you.

Let us know if you have any comments or suggestions.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Thank you for the reply. If you need any further information from me or from my computer, let me know. I'd be glad to help if it will lead to this issue being resolved.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

darylm,

Rest asurred we will if we need more information. Thank you again for your valuable time.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Just to update this thread, the latest batch of updates for the wifi / Bluetooth driver have the same issue.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

darylm,

Thank you for the information. We have already informed the engineering department of your observation.

Please let us know if you have any other comments or observations.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

I upgraded to the latest intel driver update utility, hoping it would do a better job of recognizing driver versions. It's slightly better, but still has a lot of room for improvement.

Here is the latest result:

Ethernet: Ah, no. 21.0 is installed.

Bluetooth: Ah, no, not even close. The latest version, which is installed, is 19.00.1621.

Graphics: Say what? 15.36.1.4144 is installed.

Wireless: Okay, got one right.

Intel, sorry to report that 25% is not a passing grade (and that's not taking into account the many other intel drivers on my computer that the utility didn't even notice).

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

darylm,

Thank you for your time to provide us your valuable input. Please know that we are working to improve the content of our support website. Should you have any further questions or doubts, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Will do. Thanks.

0 Kudos