Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Pro/wireless driver stops working when Windows Update changes it

BP4
Beginner

I am using an HP 15-ay041wm with Windows 10 (HATE Win10)

When Windows Update runs, it changes my Intel(R) Pro/Wireless Driver 18.33.0001.3987 to Intel(R) PROset/Wireless Software 20.20.2

at that time, I have no connection through WiFi and have to do a restore to get connectivity back.

I tried to do a reversal of just the driver, and mark the new one as not working, but it doesn't take.

So, I have turned Windows Update off, which is dangerous, to say the least.

I HATE Win10 - I cannot find where to see what the updates are, so I can decline the download (as in previous versions of Windows).

I would like to know if anyone else is having this issue, or has any knowledge.

I stopped in a local repair shop, and asked for information on how to select what I wanted to download and the tech said I'd have to leave it so he could make sure there were no issues with the machine, and for that privilege, I'd have to pay him $80 to start.

I am now retired, but my work history is that of Systems Admin, Customer Support and the like - but I was 'pre-wireless'. All I want to do is find out how to either choose what gets downloaded in the Updates, or find the driver/program/software that works (the original Intel(R) Pro/Wireless Driver 18.33.0001.3987) on my laptop and save it so I can reinstall after the updates run.

Thanking you all in advance!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! As far as I can tell, Microsoft removed this capability because (a) they think all users are stupid idiots who cannot be trusted to do the "right" (a.k.a. Microsoft) thing and (b) all 3rd-party drivers are poorly implemented - (whine!) and we always get blamed for it - so every driver update should be unconditionally applied as soon as possible.

Ok, off the soapbox...

All this said, this particular update should not be causing you to lose your connectivity. I suggest that you try manually updating this software using the following process:

1. Download the latest release of the wireless software (from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27493/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=72252 Download Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 and here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27475/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=72252 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10).
  2. Disable internet access (easiest way is to shutdown/disconnect your router) or disable Windows Update.
  3. Uninstall the existing Bluetooth and Wireless packages.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Install the new Bluetooth and Wireless packages (in this order).
  6. Enable internet access or enable Windows Update.
  7. Test to ensure Bluetooth and Wireless software is working.

[Note: This process is used to prevent Windows Update from updating the software as a result of the uninstall. I present it generically so applicable to all users.]

Hope this helps,

...S

BP4
Beginner

Thanks Scott.

I did what you said. Had a bit of an issue, but got the files downloaded, removed the old ones, rebooted, installed in the BT to WIFI order, had to reboot again, but could not get back on the internet. 'No connections available'

So I ran the troubleshooter. It looked like it was finding stuff and fixing it, but no luck.

The 'errors' are:

VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 doesn't have a valid IP configuration

VMware Network Adapter VMNet8 doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Unfortunately, because I could not get back on line (I really didn't want to have to find an ethernet cable and hook up that way), I did a restore, and all was 'back to normal', except that now I consistently get the WINDOWS 10 UPDATER ASSISTANT and WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE whatevers (but why I need to upgrade when I already have Windows10, I'll never figure out).

Question is: How do I get a valid IP after the install of the new drivers/programs if 1) I can't get on line because they are installed, or 2) they've been removed because I can't get on line? Sound like a catch-22 to you?

I tried to delete the files associated - a folder called WindowsSxS, but one needs Full Control to do that, and the only full control is awarded to TRUSTED INSTALLER ... couldn't even get Administrator to inherit.

Did I say how much I HATE Windows 10! ???

I'm beginning to think I should go back to newspapers, snail mail, and the like. Except that my 11yo grandson has already taught himself more than I ever knew in my working days, and more than I ever want to know again. I help him all I can - and sometimes I can remember things of which he was unaware, or steer him in the right direction, so I need to keep the connectivity.

Plus I like to play some of the on-line games because all my old games won't work correctly (ie., full screen) in Win10. It's difficult to do the Hidden Object ones in a minimal screen.

Bah Humbug!!!!!

Is it possible that this newer version of the WiFi driver/program is not compatible with my adapter?

Thanks again for your assistance. and, unfortunately, I'm hoping you can help a bit more.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, I do not know what the affects of VMWare being present are on wireless access. The only experience I have with VMWare was with an Ethernet cable attached. Someone else will need to chime in here that has this kind of experience or you will need to ask this question on the VMWare forums.

Regarding the TRUSTED INSTALLER issue, I believe that you can get around this issue using a package like Move on Boot to delete these files during the boot process.

I hate Windows 10 as well. I much prefer Windows 7 (though I still have outstanding complaints about it as well; give me back my (separate) button bars like I had on Windows XP and Vista!). Their replacement of the Start Menu is incredibly awful and super restrictive for power users. If Linux wasn't such an absolute friggin disaster (like the whole open source movement) I would switch to it full time.

HP's site is a mess and I was unable to determine exactly which wireless adapter your laptop has. I know it is an Intel product (based upon downloads) and its spec sheet ways it provides AC+BT support, but that's it.

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Deegie,

Are you running this OS installation on a VMware virtual machine?

If this is the case you will need to seek assistance from VMware in order to create a bridged connection. This would not be supported from our end.

If you're running the OS directly on the host machine, these errors would be a bit strange, perhaps pointing to a deeper issue. You should not have to manually configure an IP as long as your DHCP Server service is running.

You could try reinstalling your wireless driver through a driver only clean installation:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver package for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27485/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t WiFi_20.30.1_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, or Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165/3168* and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165/3168* again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

* I'm assuming you have one of these, however, the documentation on your OEM site does not specify.

- What is your Intel® Wireless Adapter model?

- Are you able to reinstall your operating system?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Deegie,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Where you able to get your issue resolved?

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BP4
Beginner

Thank you, Carlos, for asking.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Life just gets in the way sometimes.

I'm not sure if I've gotten everything resolved. I did, however, find out that the VMware was from when my aforementioned grandson was using my laptop (with my permission) to create virtual machines. With his help, I removed it.

I will create a current restore point and then try another Windows Update and see what happens. With the VMware lack of IP out of the way, my fingers are crossed that all will be well. Otherwise, I'll have a good restore point to work from.

I probably need to take the time to look up the drivers for the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 3165 adapter that my machine has. When I ask it to check for updated drivers, it says I'm using the most current one. Which makes me wonder/question why Microsoft wants to update it.

I will let you know what happens.

Thank you, Scott, for all your help.

Barb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Deegie,

The latest driver for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 in Windows® 10 is version 19.51.11.2. This driver is found in the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 20.30.1.

Good article to bookmark:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

The driver found through the Windows Update Catalog* is an older generic version, which should work for most adapters, but as with all overly generic things, may not be the best fit for everyone.

If the issue continues, please share the following:

1. Intel® System Support Utility report

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network (if possible), run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

2. Wireless Autoconfig report

1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\

4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BP4
Beginner

Thank you, Carlos for keeping on top of this and the information you've sent.

I will work on this next week, and I'll let you know what happens.

Barb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Deegie,

We haven't heard back from you in a while, were you able to troubleshoot?

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BP4
Beginner

Sorry, Carlos, I haven't tried it yet - but I did write and advise that I'd have to wait to try the suggestions out until this week, and that I'd let you know.

However, the powers that be, enabled my windows updates service, and did an update anyway. Turns out it also put the VMware stuff back in, so it didn't work. I will have to uninstall ALL the VMware before I'll know for sure. To do that, I need to sit with my grandson who installed it to get rid of the whole thing.

I'd like to keep this issue open, and once I can get the VMware issue taken care of, I promise, I'll let you know.

Barb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Barb,

Not to worry, you may take all the time you need.

Have you tried the built-in Network Reset tool? If the VMWare* Virtual Adapters are at fault, it may not help, but it's quick and may be worth a shot:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Network reset.

2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos