Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 kicks me off the internet

JAlbr1
Beginner

Hi all! I have a Dell all in one tablet, running Windows 8.1, with Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230. I get on the internet for a while, then no internet!

I have checked that the airplane mode is turned off, installed the latest drivers, rolled back the driver to a previous version, and have unchecked power saving mode. I 've even reset the computer! I have spent

several hundred dollars trying to resolve this issue, and can't seem to get it fixed. A local geek sent me packing, and Dell does not have any answer.

I run the troubleshooter, which always resets the wifi adapter, and says it resolves the "default gateway is not available" issue. Then I'm on line again for a while. This happens 7-10 times a day.

I also have a Dell laptop that never has this issue, and my husband has no problems staying online with his ipad.

Any help would be welcomed. -Thanks!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Jeannie,

Here are some recommendations that may help improve the wireless connection:

- Update the Firmware in your Wireless router.

- Check for Windows updates.

- Disable the Bluetooth adapter from Device Manager and check if you get a better connection.

- Apply the settings from the following document:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

JAlbr1
Beginner

Hi Jonathan! I have tried all the above just now, and some days ago . The recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity looked quite different than my settings list looked! However, some of them were the same and the settings were as suggested in your document above mentioned. The firmware update didn't take - I will try again, possibly with the help of my internet provider.

Is there anything else I could try?

It just seems that the wifi adapter goes to sleep or something - although I set the settings to never save power...

Thank you for your suggestions - I will try til I have success!

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

- Test the connection with other Wireless Networks, from a phone, a public place, etc. If the issue is only with this particular network/router, then you would need to check with your Internet Service Provider about the firmware update and to review the settings in the router.

- Check the configuration in your Windows Power plan. Verify the advanced power settings, so that your Wireless Adapter is set to Maximum Performance when On battery and if Plugged In.

- A new driver for your Wireless adapter has been released, it would be good to get a clean install of the new driver.

1. Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24656 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*, version 17.14.0

2. Go to Device Manager - Network adapters and uninstall the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230, make sure to select the option "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Install the driver 17.14.0 you downloaded.

0 Kudos
JAlbr1
Beginner

Hi Jonathan! I couldn't be more pleased to say that I'm fixed! -happy dance! I learned a LOT! tried everything everyone said.... But the upshot was this little piece I found on another site:

http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog/2013/11/fix-wi-fi-connectivity-issues-in-windows-8-1/# comment-1402243817 terrykav61 • http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog/2013/11/fix-wi-fi-connectivity-issues-in-windows-8-1/# comment-1612231420 4 months ago I tried everything suggested in these posts with no luck and after months of randomly limited WiFi and general connectivity problems on Windows 8.1 I finally managed to get it to work properly. I figured this out, pretty much accidentally, but it works.In advanced TCP/IP settings under IPv4 protocol settings put Gateway and Interface metric to 1 instead of Automatic. Now PC connects to network a little bit slower than usual, but with no connectivity problems.This is mostly for people with Intel WiFi card, Centrino-N 2230 on Lenovo ThinkPad 530c in my case, because picking Intel driver from list instead of Microsoft's (like suggested for Broadcom in some comments) won't work. Hope this could help. .....And now I'm back online. I've reposted his comment because, like me - he tried to fix this problem for months! Hopefully, this will help the next person.I am truly grateful for all your help here Jonathan! -Jeannie
0 Kudos
MRuij
Beginner

Jeannie,

I have a HP laptop with the same wireless card and problems; the solution that worked for me was; disable the intel wireless "bluetooth" adapter.

Sounds strange but only after this adaption my wifi connection became stable.

Good luck!

Michel

0 Kudos
TFrat
Beginner

I have the same problem as described and have a HP Envy notebook - How did you turn off the Bluetooth Adapter and when you did are you still able to connect wireless stuff like Bluetooth speaker etc.. to the laptop or do you need to enable it every time? Thanks

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

TFrat,

You will need to activate Bluetooth functionalities in order to use it eventhough you have the profile(s) already saved.

0 Kudos
DBebb
Beginner

The Intel Centrino 2230 card is notoriously bad, see this thread: /thread/38676 https://communities.intel.com/thread/38676

I am running Linux Mint 17 on my Dell Inspiron 17SE and had terrible problems with the card, until I switched off Bluetooth. Now the connection is almost as fast as on my Macbook Air.

Try turning off Bluetooth and see if that works.

0 Kudos
RDen
Beginner

Well, I've had this problem for so long, that I forgot about it because I mainly used a cable connection. This time, I finally found a solution.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 17R wirth Windows 8.1 and had tried all the suggestions about rolling back drivers and such like. Nothing seemed to work, no matter how much I tinkered with the Advanced Settings of the N-2230 card.

What seems to have cured it for me was changing the power settings. It seemed that the machine was trying to turn off the card when on battery.

In Advanced Power Options, Wireless Adapter Settings, Power Saving Mode, choose "Maximum Performance" for both settings (battery or plugged in). Mine had been on "Medium Power Saving" and it was definitely responsible for these drop-outs. Now I get them occasionally, but rarely, even though I am running on the latest Intel Driver 15.16.0.2.

I hope that helps someone.

AB_1
Beginner

I have this issue since I upgraded to Windows 8.1.

I even asked the ISP to change the router because I never could imagine that an Intel product can work like that.

Today I found the other topic, in which many people have the same issues, the topic is locked.

I especially registered to tell Intel that:

You are garbage. First of all, because this thing, with the driver 15.10.3.2 still doesn't work on my ASUS ROG laptop, and no solution works whatsoever. Secondly, your Intel auto update driver utility is piece of garbage lightly to say, because it detects newer drivers, but installs nothing, connection dropped and more things like that. Third, I especially registered to write this down, and you know, I had to confirm my email address 2 times, once when registered, and second time right after I logged in. Fourth point, you force me to put an alias to my Account, for display. Use my effing account name!!! I had so much headache with this wireless card that I'm just tired of it and very mad. And you locked the original topic without actually solving anything!!!

0 Kudos
COlá
Beginner

Hi,

I have problems with /message/275935# 275935 Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230

Kicks me off the internet, in the last version of windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Toshiba Portugal dont gives me support.

Laptop Toshiba Satellite U940-11R

PSU6SE-02301REP
0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

CarlosOla,

Is this wireless card the came installed when you got your Toshiba* laptop?

Usually, when the wireless adapter comes installed by factory, the manufacturer gives support.

Please know that Windows* 10 provides its own inbox drivers for the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230, however, you can also use the Windows* 8.1 compliant drivers found in this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25224/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® Download Center

COlá
Beginner

Thank you Aleki!

I have done as you suggested.

Now is ok, but I need some hours to test the machine.

0 Kudos
COlá
Beginner

Hi,

The problem persists.

/message/275935# 275935 Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230, kicks me off the internet, (with the last version of windows 8.1 and Windows 10).

The Microsoft Support tells me that the problem is with the imput of energy to the driver Intel.

Perhaps, the driver stops working not to damage the hardware.

Toshiba website support doesn´t include this laptop in the models who have update for Windows 10.

BR

Carlos

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

CarlosOlá,

Unfortunately, the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is not compatible with Windows*10 and that may be the reason as to why Toshiba* did not include this model on the list of systems that would upgrade to the new OS. Installing a OS that is not meant to be due to hardware incompatibility or limitation may bring issues such as this one you are experiencing. In this particular case, Toshiba would be the best option to answer your questions.

0 Kudos
OSoon
Beginner

The topic you are discussing is EXACTLY what happened to my DELL Inspiron 17R when I upgraded to Windows 10. The reason I upgraded was because Microsoft kept sending me automatic notifications to my desktop and I finally clicked on their link and upgraded. At no time was I notified or 'warned' when I upgraded to Windows 10, that the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 would NOT work with Windows 10. It never occurred to me that I should upgrade through the DELL web site (If that is even possible.) because the notifications were directly from Microsoft to my desktop. I simply clicked the link and upgraded. Now, I assume there is no way to un-do the upgrade, and I am destined to being kicked off the internet by my Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 until I FINALLY get a new one installed??? That is completely unacceptable.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

oksoonerfan,

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is supported by Windows*10 own inbox drivers and Intel recommends to contact the computer manufacturer and see if they have any support. By clicking on this link, you will be able to find the OEM contact information: http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support

As a second option and on our best effort to assist you, you are welcome to try the latest drivers found in our Download Center, they are Windows 8.1* compliant. However, it is important that you know that our drivers are generic and may not meet all the requirements requested by the OEM.

1 - Install and save the: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25276/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*. Version 18.20.0 file size 107.41 MB

2 - Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3 - In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4 - Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5 - Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
OSoon
Beginner

Read some of the solutions listed above on this topic. One of the solutions may help. They are simple fixes to try at least.

0 Kudos
TOMar
Beginner

I was having the same issues. Using the 2230 driver i was getting lots of device resets.

I did a manual driver update to a Intel 2200 card. In Device Manager it still shows as a 2230.... so the driver may be the same "except previous version".

I am running driver 15.12.0.9 dated 4/30/2015.

I also have changed my power settings to maximum performance wifi power settings.

Seems to of fixed it for me. Things are working great!

0 Kudos
RBowm5
Beginner

I have an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 wifi device. Since upgrading to Windows 10 it frequently shows 'Limited' connection - so frequently I've had to switch to a wired network. The driver is showing as version 15.18.0.1 20/04/2015. Uninstalling the device and drivers, then reinstalling always results in the same driver version being downloaded.

The Intel Driver Update Utility (and searching for the device via the download centre) both point me to a newer driver: version 18.1.1525.1445 dated 28/8/2015, however, when this is downloaded and installed the driver is not updated. The log file DPINST.LOG show that the update ended because...

INFO: Installing INF file 'c:\program files (x86)\intel\bluetooth\drivers\ibtusb.inf' (Plug and Play).

INFO: Looking for Model Section [Device.NTamd64]...

INFO: No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ibtusb.inf_amd64_624a36ed6a0e2f20\ibtusb.inf" on the Machine.

INFO: No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ibtusb.inf_amd64_624a36ed6a0e2f20\ibtusb.inf'.

INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)

INFO: No matching device was found for 'c:\program files (x86)\intel\bluetooth\drivers\\ibtusb.inf'. Driver will be installed when plugged in.

INFO: Returning with code 0x200

So, Windows Device manager and the Intel Update Utility both find a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 device, yet when the relevant drive is installed, it seems the drive is not for that device. (The text along with the drive does state it supports the 2230 device.)

Windows 10, x86

Any ideas?

0 Kudos