Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 /// NO DRIVER FOUND

idata
Employee

I have a HP Pavillion DV7-6C95DX Notebook PC and for some reason when I go into my device manager, the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 driver is missing. Can someone please tell me what exactly WiMAX is? Do I need it? Should I just uninstall it? I tried to use the auto-detect on the intel support page, it recognized that it was not installed correctly and proceeded to try to and fix the problem, yet to no avail. Same thing with the HP website, they also have an auto-detect program, and the same thing. The issue is obviously not on HP's end, it's Intel's. What should I do now?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Michael Valdivieso,

It would helpful to know what your Operating System is, so we would be able assist you better and provide the proper driver.

Here is a link that provides drivers for all the available Operating Systems in case you be able to find the right one for you.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+WiMAX+Adapters&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+%2b+WiMAX+6150 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+WiMAX+Adapters&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+%2b+WiMAX+6150

0 Kudos
OGabo
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem and I couldn't solve it with any of the driver from the DownloadCenter. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. My WiFi is working but it's telling me that the Driver it's not there. Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Ovidiu15,

It is not normal that none of the drivers solved your issue.

I would recommend uninstalling the current drivers and reinstalling the Intel® Proset Wireless Software for WiFi and WiMAX in that order for your specific wireless adapter.

If such recommendation does not help and the driver worked before, you may try a Windows* System Restore as part of normal software troubleshooting. Otherwise, you may have corruption at operating system level which may require its reinstallation.

0 Kudos
JWear
Beginner

The WiMax Driver in an additional driver for your Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMax card. The driver for the wireless networking will still function fine for connecting to wireless routers and browser the web, etc... The WiMax portion is for using WiDi or Wireless Display functions in conjunction with an adapter you can purchase such as the Netgear WiDi adapter... It connects to your TV or other display and allows you to wirelessly display your desktop or extended display on a TV without physically connecting wires, such as HDMI, etc...

If you do not use this function, you can just ignore the error. But, there is an update for Windows 7/8 on the Intel site to install this driver if you'd like the error to go away...

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Just in order to clarify, Intel® WiDi and WiMAX are completely different technologies and their purpose is also completely different.

WiMAX is a wireless communication standard and offers a mobile broadband connection which does not require a WiFi hotspot/AP and is available from some Internet Service Providers.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-network/wimax-technology-general.html https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-network/wimax-technology-general.html

0 Kudos
JWear
Beginner

Thanks Joe... Wow, I have reminded myself not to post replies late at night when my brain isn't operating at 100%. WiMax included with some of the DV7 models from HP, mostly ones sold through Best Buy offered WiMax service. Best Buy offered mobile broadband service for a very short time, then migrated their customer over to Clear Mobile Broadband.

WiDi had nothing to do with the original question, so my sincere apologies. And Thanks again Joe. I meant to log back on the next morning to clarify this myself, but am glad you reminded me to retract my comment.

Either way, Intel does have new drivers for WiMax, or you can ignore it if you do not subscribe to a mobile broadband service that work with your WiMax service.

0 Kudos