Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 Windows Update to PROSet 19.50.1 Fails

WMerk
Beginner

Windows unsuccessfully tried to auto update my PROSet from 18.11.0 to 19.50.1 today and my wireless adapter just stopped working. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting and restore points but nothing get's my adapter running again. How do I fix this issue? The windows event log shows the following error message. Attached are the log files generated in the directory C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WMerk
Beginner

I tried running the install package (C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFiDrivers\Drivers\dpinst64.exe) manually and got the results below.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AbnormallyNormal,

We understand your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 is not working after a failed automatic update. Please keep in mind that this may have been caused by problems in the Operating System, so you may want to check with Microsoft* Support as well.

In our best effort, we advise to try a clean installation of driver, by following these steps:

1. Obtain the driver from the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support. If the issue persists, you can try our generic version for your OS, which is available from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75442/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160 Intel® Download Center.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the wireless driver you downloaded in step 1..

Please let us know if the adapter is detected in Device Manager after these actions, or if there is any change in the behavior.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
WMerk
Beginner

No matter how many times I repeat step 3 to uninstall the network adapter it always comes back after a reboot or "scan for hardware changes". You can see below the option to uninstall is not available yet the device manager still lists it and the driver files are in the Windows\System32\drivers folder. Does Windows 10 automatically add the device back? How can I manually remove the drivers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AbnormallyNormal,

Windows automatically detects the hardware upon reboot and installs the built-in (Inbox) driver if its available. In this case, you don't need to reboot after removing the driver, just install the OEM driver, or the generic one from Intel® Download Center.

Let us know if you notice any issues after that, or if you are able to connect to any wireless networks.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Please let us know if there has been any progress in this case, or if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos