Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 , speed issue.

USure1
Beginner

Hello everyone ,

I have brand new Acer Aspire E15 E5-576G and it comes with Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 card my fiber ISP connection is 50mbit but I only get from my laptop 35-40mbit from the same place if I try it with my Iphone I can get 50mbit easily , I have the latest firmware 19.51.8.2 , and my router is Huwawei HG253s 802.11 b/g/n connection types available . Wi-fi card settings are Ht Mode and Roaming enforcement is on medium level. For b/g/n connection at least I should get about 150mbit connection speed , if I am not wrong.

Here I add some pictures about my connection (sorry they are in Turkish)

Thank you for your help in advance .

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Urush,

We understand you are having issues getting the maximum speed available from your ISP on your laptop, while other devices connected have such no problems.

At this point, it seems you're already getting the maximum possible download speeds for your current network configuration. Allow me to explain:

1. The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 uses a 1x1 antenna configuration (one antenna supporting one data stream).

2. Your wireless router is a 2x2 single band model, using the legacy Wireless-N (802.11n) standard.

3. Your current connection rate is 72.2 Mbps, which is the maximum for 1x1 802.11n connections in the 2.4 GHz frequency.

For Wireless-AC, your adapter is capable of a maximum connection rate of 433 Mbps. In Wireless-N, this number goes down to 150 Mbps. However, to achieve 150 Mbps you must use the 5 GHz band which allows for wider channels. In the 2.4 GHz band, your maximum speed possible is 72 Mbps.

To roughly translate your connection rate over to what you can expect in a download speed test (this is called throughput), as a rule of thumb we can divide this number in half. Meaning that a download speed of approximately 36 Mbps can be expected. This must be done in order to account for network overhead (such as encryption and routing information), interference, etc.

To improve these numbers, our best recommendation will be to upgrade to an 802.11ac capable wireless router. If this is not possible, an 802.11n router capable of broadcasting in the 5Ghz frequency will allow your connection rate to be high enough to achieve the download speeds expected.

For more information on this, please refer to the following articles. Pardon the rude titles, I believe they're intended to be humorous. They're actually quite informative.

1. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/pdf/next-gen-80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.pdf Next-Gen 802.11ac Wi-Fi For Dummies

2. https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2014/06/throughput-stupid/ It's the Throughput, Stupid!

Let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Urush,

We understand you are having issues getting the maximum speed available from your ISP on your laptop, while other devices connected have such no problems.

At this point, it seems you're already getting the maximum possible download speeds for your current network configuration. Allow me to explain:

1. The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 uses a 1x1 antenna configuration (one antenna supporting one data stream).

2. Your wireless router is a 2x2 single band model, using the legacy Wireless-N (802.11n) standard.

3. Your current connection rate is 72.2 Mbps, which is the maximum for 1x1 802.11n connections in the 2.4 GHz frequency.

For Wireless-AC, your adapter is capable of a maximum connection rate of 433 Mbps. In Wireless-N, this number goes down to 150 Mbps. However, to achieve 150 Mbps you must use the 5 GHz band which allows for wider channels. In the 2.4 GHz band, your maximum speed possible is 72 Mbps.

To roughly translate your connection rate over to what you can expect in a download speed test (this is called throughput), as a rule of thumb we can divide this number in half. Meaning that a download speed of approximately 36 Mbps can be expected. This must be done in order to account for network overhead (such as encryption and routing information), interference, etc.

To improve these numbers, our best recommendation will be to upgrade to an 802.11ac capable wireless router. If this is not possible, an 802.11n router capable of broadcasting in the 5Ghz frequency will allow your connection rate to be high enough to achieve the download speeds expected.

For more information on this, please refer to the following articles. Pardon the rude titles, I believe they're intended to be humorous. They're actually quite informative.

1. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/pdf/next-gen-80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.pdf Next-Gen 802.11ac Wi-Fi For Dummies

2. https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2014/06/throughput-stupid/ It's the Throughput, Stupid!

Let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
USure1
Beginner

Hi Carlos ,

First of all thank you for your response, I sometimes can get up to 45mbit (speedtest.net) but like you said I think I need to change my router with sth. supports 802.11a/c or 5ghz N speed.

How ever my Iphone gets higher speeds then my laptop , from the exact same connection and same distance

I will read the articles that you added to gain more knowledge about wireless connections.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Urush,

We're glad to help.

In this case it's worth considering that your phone will probably be subjected to less network overhead than your laptop.

Part of the overhead is your antivirus and firewall, OS updates which are silently downloaded in the background, and such. Mobile operating systems are much lighter and will have a much easier time getting those 50 Mb/s speeds even in an 802.11n network.

I'm also not sure what type of antenna configuration is used on Iphones*. Wireless adapters using a 2x2 antenna configuration can double the connection rate, for example.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
USure1
Beginner

Hello again Carlos ,

I asked from my ISP to chance my modem/router and they did it yesterday Now I have Hauwei HG255S installed finally I am able connect with a/c protocol on 5.2Ghz bu the coverage is really poor from my work room I can only get 25-35Mbps but if I get closer to modem I can get up to 50Mbps which is full speed of my connection. I have tried with ethernnet cable I get the full speed.

But weird thing is yesterday I was able to get full speed from my work room via Wi-Fi Seems like I might need a repeater to extend my connection . Is it possible that the connection speed changes on RF signal on daily basis ?

You have been really helpful to explain all the details ! Thank you again.

Here I add some new SS wiht my a/ 5G connection.

0 Kudos
USure1
Beginner

If I get closer to modem I can get these speeds but can`t move the modem to closer location :/

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Urush,

Thanks for the update.

Do bear in mind that so long as you're using 802.11ac, you should be able to reach the speeds desired in either frequency:

802.11ac, 1x1, 2.4 GHz: 150 Mbps (~74 Mbps max download speed).

802.11ac, 1x1, 5 Ghz: 433 Mbps (~216 Mbps max download speed).

The main difference here is made by upgrading to Wireless-AC. After this, while the 2.4 GHz band is still more susceptible to interference and generally more crowded, it also allows for greater range and more penetration (walls, obstacles).

The 5 GHz band is less crowded and has more channels to choose from, but it also has shorter range. This is not an optimal choice if you're far from the router or there are many walls and obstacles in between you and your router.

In this case, the 2.4 GHz band should allow for the expected download speeds now that you've received the newer Wireless-AC capable router.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
USure1
Beginner

Hi Carlos ,

Thanks for the information I thought a/c protocol only works on 5Ghz speed. Bu when I go in to device manager and try to change settings of my wi-fi adapter I can not see a/c connection section. Here I add a SS of it. Am I doing something wrong ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Urush,

The channel is controlled by the wireless router. Some newer routers will automatically choose which band each computer (or device) connects to, or they can be configured to broadcast two separate networks, one for 2.4 GHz and one for the 5GHz frequency.

With your Connection Mode set to 6. 802.11a/b/g, and HT Mode set to VHT Mode, you should be set for 802.11ac. However, at the end, your wireless router is the one that controls which band and radio type you connect using.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
jaj00
Novice

sorry to bring up such old thread. for your info

802.11ac, 1x1, 2.4 GHz: 150 Mbps (~74 Mbps max download speed).

802.11ac, 1x1, 5 Ghz: 433 Mbps (~216 Mbps max download speed).

does this mean the other half is for upload speed?

0 Kudos