Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 randomly disconnects (Windows 10)

EVass
Beginner

Hello everyone.

In February of 2016 I bought a gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI (rev. 1.0) motherboard.

It uses an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 adapter for wi-fi. I specifically bought this because of the high speed wi-fi feature and its small size.

Lately I've been encountering random disconnects with increasing frequency..The only thing that helps fix the problem (temporarily) is to restart the adapter from microsoft troubleshooting.

I've contacted the store that I bought it from to see if the mobo is under warranty but I also wanted to hear your guys and girls' opinions.

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello eru777,

We understand you're experiencing wireless connectivity issues with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 that came integraded with your motherboard. While it's true that this may be a hardware issue, we'll be more than glad to take a look and provide any suggestions possible.

In order to do this we would like to take a look at your current hardware configuration and settings. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility, this will scan your system and allow you to save the information into a report. To attach this file to your response, make sure to use the "advanced editor" while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EVass
Beginner

I ran the scan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eru777,

Thank you for this report.

We noticed that you're connecting to a legacy Wireless-N network, and your adapter is using the Windows* generic inbox driver version (17.15). This is resulting in a very low connection rate, which is likely to blame for your connectivity issues.

We can recommend installing the latest WLAN and Bluetooth® drivers provided by your motherboard manufacturer:

- https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H97N-WIFI-rev-10# support-dl GA-H97N-WIFI Downloads

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

If these don't help, then you may consider our latest generic drivers:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software 19.70.0

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26944/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Software-for-Windows-10 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® 19.71.0

As an optional step, we can recommend upgrading to a Wireless-AC router or access point in order to achive your adapter's maximum performance.

Please let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EVass
Beginner

I downloaded the latest (2016) drivers from gigabyte's site, so it's weird you saying I have generic ones. Could it be that the package they have for download (about 700MB) has generic drivers in it?

I haven't had any problems (yet) after doing that, but then I haven't been on my computer as much lately. Hopefully I won't have to change the motherboard :>

I'll post here if anything happens to let you know. Thanks a lot for trying to help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eru777,

The inbox ("Windows Update Catalog* provided") version of our wireless driver in Windows® 10 is version 17.15.0.5, which matches with the one you have currently installed. Perhaps your motherboard manufacturer has not provided any newer updates to the point that these two became concurrent.

Could you please try a clean installation using our drivers and let us know if the issue persists?

1. Download and save our latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Wireless_19.70.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait), then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software that was downloaded back in step one.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EVass
Beginner

OK sorry for the wait, I did as instructed. Now I'll wait and see if it fixes the issues. BTW there was another issue that I hope this fixes.

It wouldn't connect automatically to the network even though I had ticked the "connect automatically" box. (This happened the last months or so, never from the beginning)

Also there was no "delete the driver for this device" option, here is what options I had

I selected uninstall device and did all the other steps.

*Fingers crossed*

I will be replying to this thread to show you how it went.

EDIT: The driver version displayed now is 18.33.7.2, hopefully that's correct.

0 Kudos
EVass
Beginner

OK this is far worse, now it disconnects every ten minutes, and stays disconnected for a longer time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eru777,

Let's try reseating the adapter:

1. Remove the wireless antennas and unscrew the adapter.

2. Pull the adapter from the slot and visually inspect the connector pins to ensure they're free of debris.

3. Insert the adapter back in and screw it in place. Connect the internal wireless antennas back in.

We would also like to inspect your WLAN Report for any helpful clues. To extract this report please follow the instructions in this article:

- https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/47080-create-wlan-report-windows-10-a.html How to Create a WLAN Report in Windows® 10.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

If this makes no difference, and you're willing to wait, there is a new PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers version set to be released some time next week. However, you may end up having to replace the adapter with your motherboard manufacturer all the same if this is being caused by a faulty piece of hardware.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EVass
Beginner

Seeing as it's probably a driver issue (the same motherboard has another small problem where it has trouble detecting the front panel audio for some reason)

By using the latest driver from gigabyte the problem rarely occurs. It still happens from time to time, but not to a point where it's an issue.

The intel drivers made it impossible to play online, disconnected all the time etc

Thank you all for your help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eru777,

Since our drivers don't take into account features and customizations implemented by your computer manufacturer, issues like these are not common, but can occur.

We're glad to hear that the OEM specific drivers are able to lessen the problem. We'll pass this feedback along.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos