Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 roaming setting

WGuan1
Beginner

Hi , I am a rookie at setting the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265.

I face a problem that I need to raoming faster than it perform now.

What I come out is to make it roaming at the specific frequency of 5G wifi.

But I don't know how to set this in to the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265.

Can anyone teach me how to do this ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi WGuan1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to verify a few details about your system: What is the model of the board? If this is laptop, what is the model of it? The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer? Is this a new computer? Did yo make any recent hardware/software changes? When did the issue start? Which Windows version are you using? In the following link you will find the recommended settings for the wireless connection, please look for the title "Roaming aggressiveness" you will find further details about that setting in there: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
WGuan1, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
WGuan1
Beginner

Hi, I am sorry about answer so late.

The board is Wireless-AC 8265.

And it is purchased separately.

It is a new computer.

It is win10.

I know I can change the roaming positive.

But I am wondering that if it is possible to make the roaming just scan the specific channel which I decide.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi, WGuan1, thank you very much for providing those details. In regard to your question, we will do further research on that matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
WGuan1, I just received an update on this matter, just to let you know, you can change roaming aggressiveness to highest if this does not work is recommended to roll back to medium default setting. The highest setting does not make the roaming process faster but makes the driver able to find faster the next Access Point available to connect to. The Access Point is who selects the channel to get connected, this is not done by the wireless adapter. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
WGuan1, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
WGuan1
Beginner

Hi Alberto, I know that the channel setting is on the Access Point.

But for example, if I have 4 access point which set their channel at 5G 36, 40, 44 and 48.

Instead of scan all the channel of 5G, I hope the roaming can just scan these four channel to make the roaming faster.

Can this be done?

Thanks a lot,

By Jason Wu

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi WGuan1, In reference to your question, it cannot be done, the Access Point is the one that chooses to which channel to connect to, it will connect to the one that has less traffic at the time. Additionally, the frequency of the channel cannot be change neither, since this is set as “auto” on advanced wireless settings. The Access Point will automatically pick the frequency that is supported. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos