Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

DavidPowell
Novice

Since updating from to the TP-Link Archer VR600 (v3) from a VR900 (v1) DSL modem-router, an event (Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.) keeps on appearing in Event Viewer repeatedly about every 6-10 seconds when conencted to the new router.

This message only appears when connected to the 5GHz channel, and not the 2.4 GHz channel (however I'm unable to reliably use the later due to too many other 2.4 GHz networks in close proximity). The router operates both channels with the same SSID, 2.4GHz: channel 1, 20mhz width, 5GHz: chanel 44, 80 Mhz width.

I'm running Windows 10 (64-bit) I am using the latest Intel AX200 22.110.1.1 generic drivers, as the ASUS PCX-AX3000 card hasn't had any driver updates since november 2019, and the card is little more than a PCIe to M.2 adapter with a standard Intel AX200 in it. The MSI B560M Pro motherboard has the latest BIOS and chipset drivers installed from MSI, and the router has the latest firmware installed.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be apprechiated, as it generates around 4000 events a day.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidPowell
Novice

Hi Deivid,

1. Is the issue only present with the "Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters" or is it also present on the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins"?

The problem occurs with both with driver version 22.110.1 

2. Did version 22.100.1 solve the issue? If so, do you need further support?

Installing version 22.100.1 did stop the error appearing in event viewer, but please you could answer my second question about not being able to install an older version of the "Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters", due to the installer error message "A newer product version is already installed.", which persists even after uninstalling the Intel Wi-Fi drivers in Settings and in Device Manager (i.e. what files or registry values need to be cleared to stop this installer message appearing and preventing installation)?

Thanks,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello DavidPowell,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+). 

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

3. Is the issue recent? If so, when did it start?

4. Do you have any disconnection issues or any other problems besides the errors at the Event Viewer?

5. Do you see any errors at the device manager?

6. Can you take a picture of the errors from the Event Viewer?

7. Have you checked this issue with Asus?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DavidPowell
Novice

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

Attached.

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

Installed when I built the computer (have built dozens of desktop PCs).

3. Is the issue recent? If so, when did it start?

Started happening on the 3rd February 2022, the same day I commisioned the new TP-Link VR600 (V3) router

4. Do you have any disconnection issues or any other problems besides the errors at the Event Viewer?

Initial signal issues when first installing the new router, fixed by re-orientating the router. No issues since then.

5. Do you see any errors at the device manager?

No errors in device manager.

6. Can you take a picture of the errors from the Event Viewer?

Attached.

7. Have you checked this issue with Asus?

No, as it appears to be a bog standard Intel AX200 M.2 card in an adapter and I'm using the generic drivers, but I have contacted TP-Link.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello DavidPowell, 

Thanks for all the information provided. In order to help you, please try the following:

1. Install wireless version 22.100.1:

2. Check the Windows updates and install all the updates asked even the optional updates.

Let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DavidPowell
Novice

Hi Deivid,

The PC was already up to date with all updates and optional updates.

I tried installing the 22.100.1 driver from that installer, but it wouldn't allow me to and gave the error "A newer product version is already installed." (see attached screenshot). This was after unistalling the Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers and the Driver Support Assistant too via settings, and when that failed, repeadedly uninstalling the drivers via Device Manager until I was left with the stock Windows versions.

It appears that the uninstaller is not properly cleaning things up and is leaving some files or registry entries behind, which means that a newer version is detected, even though it is no longer installed. I can't find any driver cleanup tool on your site or any other information that would allow me to do a clean install (beyond what I have already done, which does not work). Perhaps you know which registry entries need to be cleared to fix the installer error?

However, I downloaded the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins version of 22.100.1 and manually installed it via Device Manager, and I can confirm that the event does not appear at all with 22.100.1.

If I reinstall the 22.110.1 (IT admins version or EXE installer version), then the issue immediately starts up again.

Kind regards,

David

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello DavidPowell, 

Before we continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Is the issue only present with the "Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters" or is it also present on the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins"?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DavidPowell
Novice

Hi Deivid,

The problem occurs with both with driver version 22.110.1 

Installing version 22.100.1 did stop the error appearing in event viewer, but please you could answer my second question about not being able to install an older version of the "Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters", due to the installer error message "A newer product version is already installed.", which persists even after uninstalling the Intel Wi-Fi drivers in Settings and in Device Manager (i.e. what files or registry values need to be cleared to stop this installer message appearing and preventing installation)?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello DavidPowell, 

Thanks for the extra information provided. In this case, the warning can be part of the MSI system or the driver may not be completely deleted. Based on the previous statement I would like to confirm the following:

1. Did you uninstall the driver until it shows the Microsoft basic adapter?

2. Are you presenting any other issues besides the errors? disconnections? Crashes?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DavidPowell
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Yes, kept on uninstalling via Device Manager (ticking the "Delete the driver software for this device" checkbox) and rebooting until I got down to the Intel driver that comes shipped with my version of Windows (when the "Delete the driver software for this device" checkbox is no longer shown).

Since doing this, when installing from the installer EXE version, I noticed that the uninstaller for the wireless driver no longer gets added to Apps & features list in Settings.

No other issues appart from that.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
DavidPowell
Novice

After using system restore to roll back to before I started trying uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I can no longer run the latest installer, the 22.100.1 installer still thinks there is a newer version installed, and the latest 22.110.1 installer just shows an error message "failed to parse setup.xml".

I'll use the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins drivers for now, and try installing with the installer again when a newer driver is released.

Mark the case as solved, and if I need to I'll open a new case if I need to at a later date.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello DavidPowell, 

Thanks for the update on this issue. I will proceed to close this thread as you asked, bear in mind that you can open a new thread and use this one as a reference in case you experience any issue with our products.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello DavidPowell, 

As the last recommendation, try to check this behavior with MSI to confirm if there are any limitations or may not accept generic drivers (Intel's drivers).

Thanks for your time.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DavidPowell
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Just a quick note to say I installed the v22.120.1.9 "Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters" (via DSA) and the problem did not reoccur, so the problem appears to have been specific to the 22.110.1 driver release.

Best regards,

David

0 Kudos