Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz drops internet when downloading large files at high speeds.

NiveusT
Beginner

If my download hits 10mb/s on ANY platform, windows, steam, epic games launcher, origin, browser... The internet cuts out for everything but the download and I can't browse, I can't chat on chatting apps, I get disconnected from calls on Discord/Line and other apps. This is a brand new laptop. It was never downloading properly from the start (since I bought it). I didn't make any new changes to the hardware or otherwise except for driver updates. It happens at home on my router, but not on a hotspot I set up with another laptop I have (that I could tell... I could be wrong). This does NOT happen with other things I have like my other 4 computers that are connected wirelessly. Just this one with this adapter.

I have attached a scan of my system with the Intel System Support Utility.

I have an ASUS Zephyrus G14 with the GA401IV Motherboard. Windows 10 64-bit
My Router: C7000-100NAS Netgear

What I've tried:

• Giving it max performance in the device manager,

• Uninstalled GameFirst

• turning off "save power by turning it off" on the device manager,

• flushdns,

• revert to old versions of the driver,

• update the driver to newest,

• only use INTEL drivers (and not drivers provided by ASUS whom manufactured the laptop) (but I have tried BOTH),

• don't have VPNs or firewalls or anything of that sort,

• don't have programs that throttle/speed up/monitor my internet speeds,

• tried changing the channel width to 20hz (only option available aside from "auto"),

• uninstalled OneDrive,

• tried changing it to 802.11n AND 802.11ac instead of 802.11ax...

• Updated BIOS - All drivers up to date.

• Turned off DoS on the router.
  • No error code in the device manager.
  • disconnected all other devices from the router, issue persists.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello NiveusT,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, we would like to have more information about this behavior.

• Does this behavior occur if you perform other tasks (other apps, gaming, Windows) without downloading large files?
  • Since this behavior does not happen when using a hotspot, this could be a router issue. In other words, it may not be compatible or it may require a newer firmware. Please check if you can install a newer firmware on the router.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
NiveusT
Beginner

Hi there Intel Support,

Sometimes the WiFi gets very choppy while playing games, but never doing anything else. It's always once the internet gets up to about 10Mb/s or so? Give or take some Mb/s.

The firmware on the router is updated to the latest edition, unfortunately that didn't help

Sure, the router may not be compatible (I must check on other networks, but Corona in Vegas is keeping me indoors, or I'd check at a Starbucks or library), but do you think Intel will eventually come out with an update that might address this issue (IF this is the case?)? It would be kind of strange to buy a 300$+ router just to suit a wireless adapter inside of a laptop, you know? Though, I'm not entirely sure it's the router yet as the hot spot only got to 11mb/s, so it may not have gotten high enough (unsure). I'll have to try on another network.

A friend is letting me borrow his wireless dongle for the time being, the USB Wireless dongle has no problem going up to 100mb/s or so without cutting out the internet.

I trust Intel to potentially fix this in the future since you all have done such a good job. You all are usually very helpful to us.

I've noticed this seems to be a relatively common error with this particular adapter that it's not "backwards compatible". Is it likely they'll help us out a bit with a fix some day?

0 Kudos
NiveusT
Beginner

Really, Intel?

I just got a message from one of your team members asking if this was resolved in my e-mail...

Clearly it's not resolved if you haven't even answered the second reply?

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Good luck with the driver, let us know, if it solved anything please

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello NiveusT,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to confirm that we are still working on this thread.

Please allow us to look into this issue. We will get back to you soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello NiveusT, 

To continue working on the issue reported, we have sent you a message to the email address associated with your profile. This email contains recommendations that cannot be posted publicly since it may not apply to all systems.

Please follow these recommendations, and let us know if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello NiveusT, I just wanted to check if you received the email we sent you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello NiveusT, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello NiveusT, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Onidion
Beginner

Hi!

I'm still experiencing these issues with my AX200 in the Asus B550-F WiFi motherboard even after doing all of the steps the original poster mentioned.

I tried everything, and every time I play a game, it disconnects for a while, kicking me out of the online game as well as apps like Discord stop working. Please let me know if there's anything I can try to get this fixed.

0 Kudos