Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz - yet another TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged) and disconnects

martin_k
New Contributor I

Long story short.

Bought a new notebook with Ax200. Have it connected to the mikrotik router, and I'm experiencing like many others disconnects. Usually when connection is under load. Actuall protocol is Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac).

It happens "sometimes" - once no occurence in 5 days, suddenly twice in two days.

What happens is seriours of events:

1) 5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)

2) then many of these: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

3) followed by resets: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

The network interface "Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 2 time(s) since it was last initialized.

Miniport Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz, {1c3006b2-42c5-4706-8f37-0da41b34cccd}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

WLAN AutoConfig detected limited connectivity, attempting automatic recovery.

Recovery Type: 4
Error Code: 0x0
Trigger Reason: 7
IP Family: 0

A service was installed in the system.

Service Name: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service
Service File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\piecomponent.inf_amd64_cca7e9f7d000eb41\Intel_PIE_Service.exe
Service Type: user mode service
Service Start Type: demand start
Service Account: LocalSystem

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped unexpectedly.

Module Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IntelIHVRouter08.dll

4) and finaly after 20 secs or so on network:

6062 - Lso was triggered 

- SSU report attached

- installation of clean OEM driver - done

- latest version 21.90.3.2

- windows 10 - 2004

Router:

- Mikrotik RouterBOARD 962UiGS-5HacT2Hn / fw: 6.47 / router os  6.47

- 5GHz iface settings

antenna-gain=1 band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-eCee country="united states" disable-running-check=\
yes disabled=no frequency=5200 installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge multicast-helper=full name=wlan3 security-profile=wlan0_wpa2 ssid=\
cxxxxx wireless-protocol=802.11

I would like to point out:

I never experienced such problems with any other older notebook / work notebook or any other device.

Let me know what to do and wha information to give you. so  you will be able to finally  fix your driver.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
124 Replies
martin_k
New Contributor I
I've received an update that intel and asus engineering is working on it.
0 Kudos
Daggerding
Novice

The only temporary workaround that works for me is just disabling ac/ax/n completely.

Hopefully while they find a solution ...

0 Kudos
thearqtekt
Beginner

Good evening everyone and thank you for the very thorough follow-up on this issue.

I just purchased a Minis Forum DMAF5, which also includes this Intel Wifi 6 AX200 card, and am seeing the exact same issue, exactly the same, including the very specific WIndows Event Logs and their sequence (as were highlighted earlier). 

Latest Windows Updates, latest wifi & bluetooth drivers from Intel (the mfg of my pc uses the actual Intel Drivers that are found on Intel's download page).

I use a Google Nest Wifi mesh (which does not support WiFi 6), but Google has assured me that these AX network cards are supposed to be backwards compatible and not even they can figure out why the connection keeps dropping and why it gets so very slow (like 2Mbps slow). 

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

I know the pain. So far, nothing new here, I guess it's the new year :(.

0 Kudos
thearqtekt
Beginner

Hi martin_k, just an update from my end, (if it offers any other help).

I set a Manual IP and DNS in Settings -> Network & Internet -> WIFI - [selected network] -> IP Settings.  This was all via Windows 10 settings app, of course, I did not set this on my router.  Setting it on my router previously had no effect.

It is only working 2.4Ghz and speeds are still well below what my other devices have (except for the smart plugs, which are all on the 2.4Ghz with .05 - 2Mbps.....).

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I
Im sorry I dont get while you're setting static ip. Thats completelly different OSI layer :).
0 Kudos
thearqtekt
Beginner

To be honest, I was trying any and everything

The Minis Forum support team did get back with me this morning.  Their recommendations are as follows, keeping in mind that they made no configurations for the wifi card and are using Intel Drivers available on this site (again, if it helps anyone else).  From Device Manager on the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz entry

• Set the 2.4GHz Channel Width to "20MHz only"
  • Set the MIMO Power Save Mode to "No SMPS"

I have not tried it yet, but will do so later and report back if any changes.  However, I don't see how this would fix the problem of the card only connecting to the 2.4GHz band and only at very low Mbps.

Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I
I was playing with different option for few weeks, sadly, nothing. As frankly I didn't find any 100% trigger, it was happening all the time no matter the ap settings, driver settings nor like 3 time beta drivers :(.

And I dont want to trash my mikrotik for just this one black sheep :D.

Happy new year to you too
0 Kudos
Zen_34
Beginner

Any news on this?

In the last month i’ve updated my desktop, bought a new gaming laptop and got a new laptop from work, amazingly all of them has the AX200 in them.

One is on a Gigabyte B550 motherboard, one is in a Lenovo Legion laptop, and the third is in a Lenovo T14 laptop.

i’m gettin the 5002 errors followed by 5005 and a short disconnect on all devices 3-4 times a day.

Tried on a Netgear Nighthawk RAX43 and a Ubiquiti Amplifi HD, one is 5ghz AX and the other is 5ghz AC.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Hey Zen,

and I wanted to buy RAX8 latelly

Frankly, Intel l2 said, they spoke with Asus engineers, case with asus closed with "RMA", here we do have a cold case, cuz despite I was eager  to solve it - i'm done wiith it. Took too long 4 beta drivers or so, with absolutely zero outcome.

So I decided to  live with it. New notebook comming in Feb, refreshed zephyrus and guess what ... I know what I'll see in event log :D.

0 Kudos
Daggerding
Novice

My problem was resolved after a full computer replacement by Lenovo.

Same card but no more issues.

0 Kudos
PrimeGrid
Beginner

Hello there! I had a similar problem with my ASUS RT-AX88U (latest Merlin) and ASUS AX200. It triggered every time (100%) when I started the Heroes of the Storm game by Blizzard on my 5GHz band, the connection was dropped and the AX200 gone shutdown with errors in the event log: 5002, 5005, 5007. On the older driver, I wasn't able to get it started without a system restart. On 22.10.0.7 driver, it was a bit more stable and stopped to switch off, but errors remain and I was disconnected every time I started the game. So I started to change channels, modes, etc. in the router.  And I found that setting Wireless mode to "AX Only" fixes this issue. I guess, in my case, it's something with backward capabilities...  And looks like it is a driver issue. For now, I can't use 5GHz for other devices, because it is always in AX mode...

0 Kudos
Daggerding
Novice

I'm experiencing the same issues with a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Gen2, Type 20T6.

Frequent errors 5002 and 5005 in Windows event logs resulting in frequent brief network losses. Bios 1.09 (latest as of this writing). Driver 21.110.1.1 (latest lenovo provided driver).

Log Name: System
Source: Netwtw10
Event ID: 5005
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

Log Name: System
Source: Netwtw10
Event ID: 5002
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

This issue seems to affect all my 5Ghz connections various types of recent and older APs:

• FritzBox 7530 (supports a/b/g/n/ac)
  • Apple Time Capsule 1TB (supports a/b/g/n)
  • BBox 3 (support b/g/n)

The following workarounds were tried:

• (Not working) Updating to latest Intel provided generic drivers (22.10.0.7 as of this writing).
  • (Not Working) Switching to 20Mhz mode (ax or ac or n).
  • (Working on FritzBox, not working on older APs) Switching from 160Mhz ax to 160Mhz ac mode.
  • (Working) Switching from ax or ac to n mode.

So from my experience, this issue is only affecting 5Ghz ac and ax mode when connecting to an AP that doesn't support the selected mode (ax or ac).

This seems like a widespread backward/legacy compatibility issue with the AX200.

I opened a ticket with Lenovo Support without response so far.

0 Kudos
Daggerding
Novice

Nevermind my previous messages. My workaround were shortlived and errors are back just less frequently.

0 Kudos
IguanaBob
Beginner
To add to this thread, I'm having the same issue, but only in Windows (win10 64-bit). I have ZERO issues in other operating systems. I triple boot Win 10, Ubuntu Linux and CloudReady (Chrome OS), and I have not see any issues in the other two OS's, so this is definitely not a hardware issue, but a driver issue with the Windows driver for the ax200.
0 Kudos
Daggerding
Novice

Sorry but I do think it's in the end a hardware issue. I had a replacement card and the issue stopped. Nothing else changed.

Before having that replacement card, every other component was replaced my thinkpad (motherboard included)

The last part they changed was the actual network card ... And the issue vanished ... Same driver ... I think there is just an issue with the manufacturing process resulting in a lot of people experiencing bad cards ...

IguanaBob
Beginner

Could be there is more than one cause then. With my configuration it is certainly not hardware due to the perfect performance in Linux. I did notice it happens less frequently in Windows after a CPU upgrade, tho, so maybe high load affects the Windows driver. Still happens enough to be unusable in Windows. Again, this may not be the exact cause you are seeing as there may be more than one cause.

0 Kudos
HKlum
Valued Contributor I

@Daggerding I have the same issue with a AX200 card in a Dell XPS 15 9570 laptop, using 5GHZ 866Mbit mode with a AVM DVB-C AP Repeater on channel 36. Randomly maybe once every few days, Wifi just breaks, and I cant reconnect anymore until waiting maybe 1 minute or restarting the driver.

Windows log always shows events 5002, 5005, 5005.

Using latest driver 22.70.0.6 and latest Windows 10.

You ever figured out whats causing it? I somehow think its the drivers, and Intel is incompetent so far making the drivers stable. If you read the changelogs, every version since years says something about "stability fixes".

Or could it be a faulty AX200 card? Or maybe the antenna connections dont fix properly? Could it be maybe the card is a bit "picky" when the antenna signals arent properly and then internally crashes?

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Guys,

I've bough new machine  and it seems like these are occuring very sporadicaly (two times a year). Both are preceded by:

"

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
  <EventID>506</EventID>
  <Version>3</Version>
  <Level>4</Level>
  <Task>157</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000404</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-09-08T13:31:39.1640106Z" />
  <EventRecordID>40657</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="28092" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>PNT4-PC</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="Reason">12</Data>
  <Data Name="LidOpenState">true</Data>
  <Data Name="ExternalMonitorConnectedState">false</Data>
  <Data Name="ScenarioInstanceId">85</Data>
  <Data Name="BatteryRemainingCapacityOnEnter">54447</Data>
  <Data Name="BatteryFullChargeCapacityOnEnter">90957</Data>
  <Data Name="ScenarioInstanceIdV2">853</Data>
  <Data Name="BootId">91</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

ATM driver 22.40.0.7 seems like it there maybe some weird handling of chaning of power states.

Ofcourse all the settings on AP stays pretty much same, dozens of networks around ... etc

0 Kudos
SergeyX
Beginner

Hello,

does anybody have clues how to resolve the issue?

I installed AX200 mPCIe card in my notebook (Core i7-720QM CPU, HM55 chipset).

And the issue is very similar:

Receive works good (speedtest.net report 20-50 mbit/s - currently available connection).

But on transmit test following happens:

1. System freezes for few seconds (even mouse stops)

2. Error 5002, 5005 from Netwtw10 are logged (and rarely 5007, 5032)

3. Transmission speed drop to very low value

And it happens every time when trying to send any sensible amount of data.

I suppose that Intel failed to make stable working chip, or it is very incompatible with old systems. But may be some tweaking is possible to overcome it?

0 Kudos